No two snowflakes alike?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxGEORGExx, Mar 26, 2009.

1. It is hard to imagine that in the entire history of this planet that no 2 snowflakes could be identical. Imagine how many days have gone by since the existence of the atmosphere, you are telling me that not any 2 have EVER been alike. I just refuse to believe it based on the sheer number of snowflakes that must have fallen since that first snowflake fell so many years ago.

2. Bill Nye the Science Guy wouldn't lie like that

3. The structure of a snow flake is EXTREMELY complex, and it's very unlikely that two identical ones have ever fallen. But seriously, even if two identical snow flakes did fall, who would actually know? You can't exactly walk around comparing every single snow flake that has ever fallen can ya?

4. You make a good point, but have you ever seen pictures of snowflakes under microscopes? They are damn intricate and it would be pretty tough to get an exact match. It is crazy to think about though. All these years and not 2 snowflakes ever have been the same.

5. [​IMG]

Wow... those are snowflakes under a microscope. I had no clue they were this complex and unique...

6. Imagine they found one like this

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. What I want to know is how the hell they form like that anyway.

8. I don't care what anybody says about this, but for SNOWFLAKES to be as trippy as they are, and to appear to be as miniscule in our life as they seem, our creators must have had vision in the things they saw.

For something that seems so irrelevant in our lives, the simple snowflake has such complexity and integrity.

Astounding.

9. Good points, and I know that no one could have any evidence of the two being identical and I know that they are very complex. But just think about how many must fall in a single DAY across the earth and then think about over HISTORY.

10. Snowflakes are the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

To think that for as long as it's been snowing that no two are the same, is amazing. I love that.

11. But think about how small the water molecules are and all the different variables during the freezing process.

It's possible that there may have been two that have been identical but when you think about just how many molecules make up one snowflake - the odds that they all freeze in exactly the same position is kind of far fetched.