No till organic soil mix help

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Freddyblack420, Aug 22, 2018.

1. #41 ElRanchoDeluxe, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Coir contains a very high amount of K and lacks Ca. It needs more Ca but it already has a pH of 6. Making most liming agents a poor choice. Adding too much kelp (K) could be problematic as well.
    High N immobilazation due to microorganisms and a high C:N ratio could also be a cause of poor growth. Phenolic compounds especially in fresh coir is another possible cause.

This information came from a Utah State University study that cited several other studies. No bias. Pictures that don't lie.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAQegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0xHTtKCWT9GsMKVyDOl9Oo

You have received excellent information in this thread. It's up to you to do something about it ...or not. Good luck.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. No updates yet?

3. #43 TL.OG34, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    I remember i tried coco before i was even on GC , never knew any of the information you guys mentioned either... i added some to my worm bin and think some ended up in my pots when i ran out of peat and needed to lighten up a mix. dont remember if it caused my plants any significant problems but mostlikely didnt help. at the the time i was getting weak yields so maybe this could have had something to do with it. I do remember my worms gettin really jacked up, they didnt really eat it or if they did, it seemed to come out same way it went it. Luckily i stored it lil too wet in a tote and when i thought about using it again I opened the tote to find it had gone completely anaerobic the smell from when I opened the tote was nothing nice to say the least It was at that point i vowed never to use it again. Plants and worms like peat much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #44 daisyjendan, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Canna have brought an organic soil mix which includes coco but it was not steam treated and so was not made inert. This is on my mind as I have just made a soil using inert coco.
    But thinking about it there's only 3 cuttings in the stuff as yet was about to get my triple cheese and cookie Kush & skittlzzz going for it but I shall get something more established then. Glad I read this.
    Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

5. Ooh there's alot I didn't read hear well over my head. But I guess this is a good opportunity to ask if anyone has the regular substrate used successfully to use alongside the composted matter????

6. Hi there,
    I will start my first ever grow in a few weeks and I am now trying to prepare the golden base... the soil. I will plant 1 Sativa dominant Hybrid and 1 CBD, both Autoflowering.

After a lot of research, I found that a mixture of Top Crop Complete Mix (containing vermicompost, coconut fiber, perlite, leonardite, and blond peat) and Mega Worm Humus by Plagron (a base fertilizer used in soil substrates to favor growth and rooting. It's also used at the start of the flowering period and its humic formula increases microbial and fungi life which is quite good for your plants)

I would love to hear your feedback! :)

7. You'll have to bear with me as I have just been through fkn oxycodon addiction. so I'm not totally coherent appart from my dedication to the weed she's my life. And look what you end up being forced to use criminal activity in blighty. I'm growing for my misses as much as for the smoke meself.
    Coco natural , comes with wood compost cellulose in it for health growth. Unfortunately I bought a sack of wood compost and sieved it to ger any non composted matter out as they would have or maybe harbouring fugi and disease as it's not broken down into compost.perlite vermiculite and vermiculter. I've rubbed it like mixing pastry into the 7 gallon smart pots. I'm going for no til but I have bio nutes,my misses won a canna comp on FB. I took this to be a message. Go back to soil and don't look back.hahahaa

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good on you for kicking the Oxycodon!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wondering how that coir worked for you OP?