No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look what popped up two years after I declared it 'dead.'

image.jpg

I think the fact that I planted clover in it's place (and kept this particular area well mulched and watered) helped a lot at reviving this little comfrey plant!

2. Comfrey doesn't die....it waits...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. That would make a great t-shirt!

4. I was watering outside and that's when I noticed a big fat leaf in the middle of my thriving clover patch, the first though that came to mind was I think something you've said Coot - "you cannot kill this plant." LOL

5. #885 SoloToker, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    I planted 10 comfrey cuttings back in may that I got from a local. This guy was obsessed with comfrey. He had it everywhere. 2 or 3 of mine took pretty well. They are about 18" in diameter now. The other look like BlueJay's...Jus a few leaves. I'm anxious to see how they look in the spring. Maybe if I put something around them to keep my retarded dog from pissing on them every chance he gets. Do they need to be cut back before winter?

6. Cut em back, mulch em thick, if your soil isn't rich pile up some compost before the mulch and in the spring if your area doesn't get a lot of rain then water the hell out of them.

7. \tThanks for the peat info, Coot. The only brand I could find around here with any reliability is Premier. Good to know that will serve.
    \t 
    \tI have a couple of pictures from when I moved my veg plants into their final spot in the flower room. Having some trouble uploading them. I'll try again later.
    \t 
    \tLast night I top dressed with a generous sprinkling of neem/karanja cake. Then I blended 50% rice hulls and 50% vermicompost and threw in a half cup of kelp meal and top dressed with that mix. I also watered it in with a malted barley sst, ful-power at 10ml/gal and a 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice/gal. One of my custoemrs at work has some worm bins going at her house and said she would be happy to sell me a coupe of handfulls of worms/bedding. I'll pop those into the soil as soon as I get them.
    \t 
    \tThis experiment is making me love working in the garden again, I love it. Thanks so much for inviting me over here Blue, this has proved to be a great resource.
    \t 
    \tHere's another question about ammendment quality:
    \tSunlight Supply just came out with Mother Earth Biochar.
    \thttp://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/bybrand/mother-earth/mother-earth-premium-biochar
    \tIs all biochar created equal or is there some reason I shouldn't be using this product?
    \t 
    \tAnd one last question for Bluejay, I noticed you said you weren't using botanical teas anymore? I have a bunch of Alfalfa meal, do you recommend against making a tea? Have you just found that the other waterings you're doing have been more beneficial than those teas?

8. #888 Patanjali, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014

I'd like to second this! Now where's my bong?! :bongin:

I think I'm all caught up now Blue! Thanks again for all the great info! You rock! :metal:

P-

9. Glad you're finding the info here helpful - that was the plan/hopes!

Like most things and especially in the agricultural / home gardening market not all biochar is created equal - I'll try to touch on this later after looking into sunlight supplies product. I'm just scratching the surface with biochar and I know coot and others here have more extensive knowledge with biochar, I'm sure someone will chime in! :)

I use much less botanical teas now than in years past. With soils working in the long term as far as indoor gardening is concerned I've found it unnecessary and even overkill to attempt alfalfa/kelp or neem/kelp teas even once a month let alone once a week or more.

What I do do (hehe) is sprinkle a handful of organic alfalfa pellets on the mulch at the beginning of each cycle and let it do its work that way. Neem/kelp I might apply every 6-8 weeks. At some point I stopped thinking about the soil in terms of each 90 day cycle. It gets what it gets when I think it could use it. I use the plants growing above as a helpful gauge but by no means do I ever think "veg gets this, flowering gets this, yadda yadda" - it just doesn't make sense anymore.

I know that was more of an answer than the question begged, I just got to thinking... :)

With new soils I will gauge the plants response and my general answer is to apply botanical teas regularly up to once per week and over time start to back off based on how the plants are doing - ("oh shit those are really dark leaves!") - something to that effect!

Also continual mulching and incorporating the botanicals into mulch, vermicompost and topdresses will overtime help to lessen the need for teas. Long term soil/humus building vs. instant teas...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Find that bong I got a scoop of 3way Gonzo hash waiting for you! ;)

Thanks for all the love P - glad you found your way here!

11. \tI'm glad I could help in getting your brain going! I'm starting to realize that's how it is, the plant takes care of feeding itself, you just help the process along...Looks like I'll be making some alfalfa tea after all.
    \t 
    \tWhen you plant a new clone into one of your 45s, how often do you find yourself watering? It HAS to be less often then a plant in full flower, right?
    \t 
    \tIs anyone else having trouble with the uploader or is it just me?

12. #892 over dere, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    InlineMax

Premier Horticulture is a major, major company in commercial horticulture as well as research and production of mycorrhizal fungi. In fact they are the supplier to companies that make up the myriad of retail products that are simply re-branded packs who buy this 'n tha straint from a short list of actual processors and charge stupid money.

The key to the quality is that they harvest in North Alberta which produces Canadian Sphagnum pea moss with very high levels of microbial activity. 

You got one of the best available for your garden.....

13. Much much less water but not less often. I make sure before transplanting the soil remains moist and gets a deep watering if needed the day before. After transplant it's just a light topsoil watering every other day for up to one to two weeks before it needs another deep watering and higher amounts of water each time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlueJay

Have you looked into using Tropf Blumats?

CC

15. #895 Under Hill, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    I have done a little research and should seriously consider taking the plunge soon. I believe you're set up with them? And I know invocation has been for awhile and loves them.

16. #896 SoloToker, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    If you order from sustainablevillage.com and let them know you're a new customer you can get 10% off.

17. \tI can also attest to the quality of the blumats. I used to use them in pure coco and thought they worked well. I just decided to move toward a more perlite heavy mix. Because that mix didn't wick as well, the blumats didn't seem to work anymore. I think that if I end up converting my entire garden over to no till, I would probably try the blumats again. I think you would need the maxi size ones though, Bluejay.
    \t 
    \tI remember reading back on IC when Lazyman was running a pretty large garden on blumats, he made it work.
    \t 
    \tI really like this soil for mothers, I think I'm going to redo all of mine. They just get too big too fast in the coco. Shiiiiiit, next thing you know I'll be cloning like you too, Blue.

If I scrape the pennies together Ill try to order enough to do a row or two of the 45's with blumats and hand water the rest of the garden in the next cycle starting November.....if all is well I'll switch the rest of the garden for the cycle starting in February.

TBH, and this will sound cheesy - LOL - but I will have a hard time handing over a control aspect to an automated system, makes me feel less in touch with the garden, despite the time / work load saving aspect....there, I said it! :p

InlineMax - I have some Aloe pups I need to transplant - If you haven't rooted cuttings by dipping the tips into the gel of a fresh cut aloe fillet you're seriously missing out!  Been taking cuttings like this for two years now - dipping in the organic 200x aloe vera powder works equally well.

DSCN8074.JPG

19. \tI understand that about handing over control. With my coco garden, once things are running, I can spend 10 minutes a day in my garden, just checking on things. I hand water once a week though, that g ets me in there and involved. As far as my soil plant, this is all so new and exciting, I get excited when I get to mix up a SST and handwater it. I'm sure that will wane soon but right now it feels like a new toy. 
    \t 
    \tI have an aloe plant that is in rough shape. It needs to be transplanted badly. I'm strongly considering nursing it back to health to use in my garden. Right now, I'm using the 200x extract from buildasoil. Would you dip the stem directly in that powder or would you dilute it down to the aloe juice and dip the cuttings in that?
    \t 
    \tAm I correct that your cloning medium is 20% vermicompost and 80% peat?

20. The first picture is the same plant as the one behind the aloe in the last picture, the 2nd is a Koshertangie top approaching 7 feet in a 7th cycle 15 gal smart pot. I raised the lights a couple inches as it was 1" from the glass, yikes! 

PD.jpg KT.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.