No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #21 cdphalanx, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    This seems like a good place for me to hang out. Sounds like your style of no-till/watering/etc lends itself to how i like to work as well.

2. How's it goin CD.

Again, I know this stuff isn't anything very new anymore, but I will eventually elaborate on why I use what I use and most importantly how it all works together with a synergistic effect for both plant/soil nutrition and pest resistance.

Like many here Coot has been a mentor to me so let it be no surprise that my methods have developed from or are directly from him.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Yep cd, diggin it here! Some fat girls blue.

4. #24 Under Hill, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Just a few days in to flower in this room.

4x 600w ushios
    10x #20 smart pots on their 3rd crop.
    7x extra 5gal buckets on the perimeter with tester seed plants in them.

In the smarties are 3x Nigeran x BMR - 4x Blue Orca x NLH - 3x TO x BMR.... Seed plants are 4x female pinesol x bmr - 2x 1970's pure afghani from imports and 1x sour strawberry kush
    image.jpg

The Nigerians, with these phenotype I will hit 1lb 2oz per 600w - love her to pieces, feedback from patients is "real medicine."
    image.jpg

Typical under canopy and mulch view for beginning of flower. Clover that was sprouted and grew vigorously alongside the small transplants is now mostly dead under a solid canopy and many fresh leaf prunings mulched.
    image.jpg

Thanks for joining in on this journey my friends!

5. What up man??? 

Looking good as always.

I'm heading to NorCal in a few days or so...we should catch up before then...

6. Busy as all hell buddy but I couldn't keep away from the weed forums :D and this place has a good vibe - good people. I can never stop learning and boy is there good note taking going on here - plethora of LD/CC knowledge lives on!

PM me, let's compare notes lol

And I wonder what you could possibly be doing in NorCal?!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlueJay

How do you like the ushio's? What's your veg routine as far as lighting? Do you veg under the ushio's, swap out lamps, or move the plants to another room? Or Do you veg then transplant to the no-tils?

8. Hey Solo - thanks for bringing this up!

Ushio's do just fine, they're actually my second choice. I always run hortilux 600's, better "full" spectrum, the room pictured with flowers is hortilux but I had to get new bulbs for the room just starting flower and had to get the ushios in a pinch. But definitely prefer hortilux HPS and this includes for veg.

A couple/few weeks before harvest I'll take cuttings from the moms and that gives them time to root and spend about a week in 4" nursery pots / solo cups. From there they are transplanted directly into the no-tills to spend out the rest of their days.

Lights set to 18/6, same bulbs, and usually its right about 4 weeks to train the plants and fill in the canopy then lights flip to 12/12. I like to then switch to 11/13 the last two weeks.....saves electricity, gets the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^^^^

I like your style man. Essentially, you are cutting out the need for a veg and flower room, sorta if ya know what I mean. This also means you're not wasting a bunch of time transplanting either. Not much need for making copious amounts of soil other than to fill your smartpots at the beginning.

I dig it. I always thought you were a perpetual style grower? I wish I had tried this sort of thing when I had two flower rooms and a veg room.

Here's a question for ya Blue. I've got a 150g smartpot (homemade) that is going to be flowered out while I'm gone (1st run) I'll be back about -5 weeks after it gets chopped. I'm hoping it will still get watered a lil bit during this time, but ya never know.  Will I be ok to plant in it when I get back?  Or should I mix it up and apply an ACT and maybe some amendments? Kinda sucks I won't be able to see what the plants look like at the end.

I've only tried no-till a couple of times in some 30g smartpots...and the results were less than stellar. I believe this was because I allowed the soil to dry out and didn't re-plant immediately after chop. Damn, it's almost like I answered my own question...still curious as to what you might do in this sorta situation?

So far I am really digging the 150g bed I've made...super easy and laid back! Can't wait to become a no-till grower.

10. Hey bud - good memory ;) for years I was always doing a perpetual harvest deal - mostly in 5 gal buckets with a veg room and separate flower room(s) always set to 12/12. The goal as always was to get a little bit all the time right, well there came a point where it felt more like a cluster fuck trying to keep up with ALWAYS taking clones AND transplanting AND harvesting AND trimming AND everything else dealing with having all these plants in all different stages ya know.

The funny part is that I was starting no-till smart pots in a perpetual harvest style, meaning I was taking one gallon vegged plants and transplanting them into no-tills under 12/12 lighting immediately starting flower the day of transplant. They don't skip a beat if you're careful but you're really limiting yield potential without having the veg time IN the no-tills to train them appropriately. Make sense?

So those two factors combined lead me to let the flower rooms finish out and start fresh in no-tills all at once!

Sorry, that was the long explanation of the short answer -Yes! :)

I love it man, my veg space for 8 flowering lights is a single 400w light :p. Keep the moms / dads small and let the few strains I need get big enough for a few cuts before harvest and that's that! I don't really deal with much soil anymore as it's all in the no-tills, done and done.

Your 150gal bed - it would be nice to ensure they water it to keep it moist and worms alive etc, and even better plant some clover in it - if it dries out while you're gone I'd put an inch or two of (vermi)compost on top, mix neem and kelp and clover seed into it - water in a good ACT, follow up in a couple days with a sprout purée - follow up with neem/kelp tea - keep moist for at least one and up to two weeks and then I'd be more than happy to plant in it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. now that's a plan!  :bongin:

12. @ 6 weeks - 4 45's and 6 20's - 10 plants total

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Good info. How many plants per container? I've got (3) in each of my 15 gallon geopots and my 4x4 tent is packed under my 600. Probly should have gone with just 1 or 2 or less veg time but they kinda got away from me.

14. One plant in each container - I previously did 4 in each 45 and 2 or 3 in each 20 but TBH yield is equal or even more with less plants which I find easier to train one plant per and growth is nuts with all that root space anyways.

15. 1 week into flowering in here - who else is no-tilling?

3 years ago it wasn't even a thought in my mind, now I wouldn't garden any other way!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The big leafed girl in the middle above is my last chance at finding a keeper I like from Bog's Sour Strawberry Kush - there are some beautifully colored purple/red calyxed phenos with strong strawberry smells but lack potency and flower structure. The green sour bubble dominant pheno is potent and very frosty but no fancy colors and just a mild strawberry aroma. Hoping for a potent, sticky red/purple strawberry pheno :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. Very nice garden!!! I hope you don't mind  me following along! I swear, I thought I was the only one that put coconut water in my feedings, thats good to see others with innovative approaches ! ever added anything else besides coconut water. I used to use those "naked" fruit smoothies, adding about 1 capful of the green or blue one to my feedings. I figured different carb source, extra nutrients and enzymes and maybe even some hormones :)

17. lol the coconut water has been going around the boards for a year or more now, at least in the cannabis growers forums I've seen. 

Beautiful girls BlueJay.

I no till as well, though I'm still transitioning the rest of my pots over as I work through my soil. I use 20's and 10's as my main pots, though I have a ton of 7 gallon smarties collecting dust that I may experiment with sometime this fall.

18. Just started no till myself. I'd heard so much about but figured it was a no go for me because my grow is so small (2x2 tent)and the initial thought was that 5 gallon pots are too small but I figured if Tree dogg could pull it off then I could learn from him. I'm currently in round two in one of my pots with two other pots following behind. Still learning....

19. Sup bluejay, subbn up here, Been on the same soil for about 3 years now with just watering and topdresses. Love the simplicity of notill. Good to see its working great for you too! Il be lurking...

CW

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dang! Three years!? How big are you potting into? One day, I'd like to put together a little 2x2x12 (or something close) raised bed in my tent and treat it just like my outdoor bed. Pick veggies out...put something in with compost...cover it back up and I got more veggies a few months later. Same no till concept right? I hope that makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.