No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #321 over dere, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Tree Dog

I'd like to hear your opinion about some products at the home brew store - flaked barley and other grains. Each listing of these flakes have this tag line: All of our flaked products have been pre-gelatinized to aid in diastatic conversion

I understand diastatic but I'm curious about the pre-gelatinized deal. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance...

CC

2. You can't ask for more than that! Lol

SD

Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono

3. #323 over dere, Jul 29, 2014
    Irie

Weigh out 1 oz. of malted barley grain for each gallon of enzyme tea you wish to make. Grind that to a powder and a cheapo coffee bean grinder works very well for this.

Add the powder to about 1/2 gallon of water and an airstone is helpful but not mandatory. If you have kelp meal on hand add about 2 tsp. and you want to bubble this for 4 hours to 24 hours.

Strain & drain this into a bucket and fill with dechlorinated water for the total volume of tea you want to apply to the soil. Add 1/2 oz. per gallon of Ful-Power and 1/4 cup of Aloe vera juice per gallon or the equivalent amount of 200XX Aloe vera powder.

Drench your soil - that's it.

HTH

CC

• Like Like x 7
  4. #324 Tree dogg, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    I think flaked grains are not malted.
    And I think they are put through a roller like breakfast oats.

Here is a quote from https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/94-adjuncts-explained. Explaining the gelatinization and flaked grain

Tree Dogg

Thank you! You saved me from spending more money than necessary 'cause at Bob's Redmill they have over 20 different 'flaked grains' as you describe for far less money than the local brew store.

LOL!

CC

6. Thanks Coot! Another question... Blue stated earlier to use 6 row preferably, but 2 row would be amazing as well. My question is... At the brew store the guy told me that the higher level row is the amount toasted. Meaning the more toasted = more sugar and less enzyme. He picked up immediately that I was using it for enzyme for feeding and I guess profiling me a bit he just started talking cannabis. Lol. I ended up going with the 2 row since he was so convincing. Can we talk about this more for a better understanding? He showed me this almost black malted grain that he said had been toasted enough that it's dead now and there's no enzyme profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Irie

I'll defer to Tree Dogg because he has far, far more 'real world' experience when it comes to how things work in the beer brewing paradigm.

What I can tell you is that you do NOT want anything roasted. Period.

diastatic vs. non-diastatic

HTH

CC

8. #328 waktoo, Jul 29, 2014

I don't think the distinction between 6 row and 2 row barley has anything to do with the degree to which the barley is toasted.  I would expect that the higher protein content of 6 row comes with higher enzyme levels (seeing as how it's preferred for mixing with low enzyme "adjuncts"), making it the preferred choice for SST's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley#Two-row_and_six-row_barley

9. Waktoo

It's two different barley cultivars as shown below...

HTH

CC

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. You musta' caught me during editing...  :)

11. waktoo

OSU has set-up a website focusing on barley which is a HUGE crop in Oregon - Barley World

Check it out! Pretty intensive and educational to say the least...a friend of mine is a staff member on this project. He won't return my calls anymore if I mention 'barley enzymes' in my voicemail. He says I'm 'tiresome & tedious' - LOL!

CC

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. The higher the row level is different from the amount of toasted/roasted. There is a color scale used in brewing which would correlate with roasting. Lovibond http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Lovibond

Or SRM which is similar.

You want base malts which haven't been roasted at all like pale, pilsner, wheat, oats, rye...they will have a L* of like 3-5 or so. Some base malts are roasted like Munich or Vienna so just ask. Any home brew stores worth a damn should carry pale, pilsner and wheat malts, at least that's what my friend who owns a brew shop says. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #333 Tree dogg, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    I'll add 6 row barley may be found but isn't as common due to extra steps needed during mashing. I think it'll be pilsner too which is higher in enzymes than pale

14. #334 over dere, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

Tree Dogg

When I began looking around home brewing sites and stores what I learned is that only America grows 6-row in any amount and it isn't popular with European brewers for the reasons you noted.

Mt. Angel, Oregon is a major hop production area as well as the Yakima Valley in Eastern Washington. A lot of hops are shipped from these two production areas to breweries around the world. 

CC

15. I'm going to have to call the riverside homebrew store before I make the trek Down The Hill.

The place is a hole in the wall or should I say hidden under an overpass (literally) - yet it's so crowded all the time with beer buffs talking a foreign language LOL - you shoulda seen the looks I got when I asked for fifty pounds of rice hulls! "You makin rocket fuel?!"

16. Garden update - couple hours after "sunset" today.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

4 weeks from small rooted cuttings with another 3-4 weeks before I flip the lights - yikes!

Coconut water with aloe, TM7 and silica yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WOW, what a beautiful canopy Blue!! That under shot is just as nice. And the info coming the through this thread is priceless! Thank you

18. BlueJay

Aren't you worried about a Cobalt deficiency? Molybdenum? Manganese?

I'd be very nervous & concerned if it were me...

CC

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Molybdenum is always on my mind - how do I get more more MORE of it?!?!?

Aptus had the solution for Molybdenum - in a 250ml bottle - they're practically giving it away at $200 bottle!

Ya think my homemade vermicompost has enough? Should I get it tested?

20. Thank you Gardner for the kind words! I always did like the view from under looking up.

And thanks to Coot for taking time out and dropping some serious knowledge bombs around here - it really does mean a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.