No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey blue, do you mind explaining your recipe for your once per cycle neem/kelp tea? Im curious as to the amounts you use for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. 1/2 cup neem seem meal with 1/4 cup kelp meal bubbled in 5 gal water for 24hrs

I keep the cloth bags worms are shipped in and use those to put whatever I'm bubbling in so it stays contained.

To this finished tea before watering I'll add powdered aloe at 1/4tsp per gal and fulpower fulvic acid at 10ml per gal.

For new soils or soils that are lacking this can and should be used at half to full strength and as often as once weekly, maybe alternating with an alfalfa/kelp tea at the same amount.

I dilute the 5gal tea to whatever I need and that's more often than not 20gal water.

Now let's go make a tea!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Hey Jay!

Poppin in to check on your foxy lookin ladies lol.

Aloha
    SD

Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono

4. Now youve got me interested...havent tried fresh young coconuts yet just the freeze dried powder, with very nice results. I think I'll head to the Whole Foods store in my area today on the way back from the home brew store.

Have you tested the malted barley seeds compared to live seeds yet Blue? (or anybody else)

5. I haven't tried the fresh coconut yet. I have tried the dried barley and fresh sprout teas. My girls seam to love them both. I believe the coconut and barley/sprout teas both are used for their enzyme content, so maybe use separately.

6. #266 GiMiK, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    lol, I've been doing the lazy thing and just hitting them once weekly with a SST, coconut water, fulvic acid, aloe and k sil solution. A more managed process spread out over the week would work more efficiently but this time of the year I'm hard pressed for time.

just wondering if the malted barley seeds, as proposed by LD and posted by Jerry here, seem to elicit similar responses to the sprouted barley seeds.

I havent tried them yet and was curious if I should save a trip back to the brew store and buy a 50 lb sack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'll post a more complete response later with picture update but real quick....

With coconut water or anything that deals with a slight variation of the same input - to observe any differences you're going to want to give it a good 3 weeks to get a good feel of any notable differences. I didn't specifically note anything switching from fresh to freeze dried (other than the bland taste of the reconstituted powder), it was switching back to fresh I quickly noted on some transplants how girthy and vigorous root growth had been coupled with notable growth in sidebranching - that did it for me so I haven't switched back - all other inputs remained equal.

Maybe it's easier to observe a slight uptick in effect than it is to observe a slight downtick?

If anyone that's been using freeze dried consistently for a good length of time wants to switch to fresh coconut water for at least 3 weeks I know I'd love to hear your observations - if others consistently observe the same then we can feel more comfortable with my assessment.

In regards to malted barley grain vs fresh sprouted purée - coot assured me I will be pleasantly surprised with the response I get from the plants. The reason being, and this May have been noted in chunks post, the sprouting and malting process done by the brew industry is so much more controlled and precise in obtaining a product with the highest possible enzyme content - how could we at home in a multitude of different environments and sprouting methods ever expect to compete with a lab controlled process?

We all know the home sprouting method works wonders and does indeed provide a plethora of enzymes but now the thought is there - how do we know if we are getting the full potential? We won't ever really - so I'm looking forward to trying out the malted barley grain when I get around to picking some up.

Well that was more of a post than intended lol but I'll add pictures later nonetheless.

Howdy seandawg! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malted barley is sprouted barley. So I would expect the exact same results. Malting is the process of germinating seeds then drying them out, which preserves all the enzymes that we want in our SSTs.

From LD

Here's an article on coconut milk and barley malt:  http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02318920

And here is a discussion where LD links a PDF on Barley Malt:  https://logicalgardener.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=114&p=1062&hilit=barley+malt#p1062

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I think it's 'ok' to use the word Sprouted vs Malted to differentiate between sprouting at home and purchasing malted grain. At least that was my intention.

This is what I was referring to:

"The reason is that given the science and processes at malting houses this level of precision could never, ever be duplicated by people like us unless you've got some really deep pockets."

10. #270 GiMiK, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
    Thanks, it's been a minute since I've looked into the malting process and I just ran out of seeds.

11. It's the whole a square's a rectangle, but a rectangle's not always a square, thing.

12. ....wait......a square is a rectangle!?!?!?

:D

I found myself singing the quote in your signature stevebomb and I couldn't figure out why and it finally came to me - system of a down!

13. I'm sure you sang the little guitar riff after "...the fall." duh duh duh duh nananana, duh duh duh duh nananana

14. #274 SeanDawg, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    Amen!

I think it would be wise to also take into consideration the depth of research that goes into malting based on the massive scale of beer brewing and the amount of money that goes into a single brewery like Budweiser. They've got millions of consumers around the world that depend on the reliability of consistency for their brew. The massive amounts of money spent on marketing, advertisement and statistics of consumer purchasing, and all of that is absolutely nill if their malt is wrong. The science that goes into this process has been perfected before we were all born, before our parents before our generation, shoot malting has been a huge deal since Mesopotamian times. And these industries have been studying this for quite a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is, "it would be a better idea to leave this one up to the real experts" lmao.

Aloha
    SD

15. First two are the Nigerian Sunshine - 65 days - last run with that strain, great and unique smell and yield but not overly potent and way too prone to botrytis (when everything else in the room is completely botrytis free even flowers brushing up to them). Wish I had a landrace Nigerian dad for this phenotype though....

Then more Gonzo shots with nugs of the other strains in the back row.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. I was thinking of ways to get 8%-10% biochar by volume in my notills and for 20 and 45 gal pots that's a LOT of powdered biochar to water in lol - all at once that would be a huge sludge pile on the surface. I have every intention to keep these notills going for years and with that in mind I thought it might be ok to do a once a month application for about a year, wait 6 months or so and then do it again for another year. We'll see how it goes and see if I notice any response after each application and that might also change the application schedule.

I bubbled 2 cups of char (black owl powdered) with an alfalfa/kelp tea and watered this in to a total of 17x 20gal and 4x 45gal smart pots - not much char per pot and i think next time I could do 3 or 4 cups char without it being too thick or clogging the Chapin I water with (the 1gpm fan tip helps to spread evenly across the topsoil). Also for the vermicompost topdress at each cycle I could mix a healthy scoop of char into that as well.

These are from a couple days ago before the biochar 'tea'.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nice, it doesn't look like they're in need of anything, lol. But biochar does seem to have many positive effects, I tilled it into the first ~3" of soil around my corn plants, and there's a noticable change. So it seems plants can benefit from it, even if it's not completely distributed throughout the soil. Watering it in seems like a good way too. I've also seen pictures of worm holes lined w/ biochar, so one way or another it gets spread through the soil.

18. Hey Blue, I just got done listing to the Organic IPM segment on the Adam Dunn show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-CtO4kbZ-0&sns=em
    It was a great show with a ton of info. So my question is on the Ful-power that we already use. Why not use this in our weekly IPM foliar sprays as well since it can be absorbed and seems like another great way to incorporate this product into our grows?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. I've already been splashing a little bit of Ful-Power in my IPM for my veggie garden. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything, don't have any control variables so idk if it's really doing anything or not.

20. Excellent response from the biochar infused alfalfa/kelp tea.....but like you said stevebomb, this garden and it's soil I've been working for years now is bullet proof. I think I'll keep one notill without any biochar and see what we can see at the end of the cycle.

As good as this soil base has become it would be interesting to see both possible outcomes:

1. Performs equally well i.e no difference

Or

2. Biochar no tills clearly perform better

We better not see the 3rd option

3. Biochar no tills perform WORSE

Lmao!

Irie Organics - you could definitely add fulpower to IPM foliars and I might actually recommend to do so especially on newer gardens until the soil is really built and things start to go on autopilot.

I have to admit something here - that last crop I just harvested with the Nigerian and TO BMR and all that - the crop only received a single IPM foliar at week one of flower. Not my normal routine of course but time constraints were tremendous. No mites, no mildew, no fungus gnats - nada. I really think I owe this to the plants SARs and quality of humus in the soil. For two years this soil has had at least weekly waterings of aloe, sprouted seed purées, silica, coconut water...two years...that's a LOT of enzymes and all the goodies pumped through this soil! :D

It's all filled in so quickly!
    image.jpg

I like my Aloe Vera - still need to give the babies their own homes!
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.