No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. all in all still chugging along.. Got a funky phenotype of hulk angry.. It honestly looks kind of angry so that's fun. I have pollinated a bit of it with its sister the other Bruce banner that is growing more normally and also OG Kush so should be some neat crosses if this guy decides to come together.. Hoping it is just going to be a 12 or 13 week strain. At day 35 of flower now 20200804_212046.jpg 20200804_212053.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. #19322 JMcGD, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Yeah, I think I mentioned that in a previous post, but it does happen in any soil mix... even Roots Organic. All my exhaust fans are on thermostats, but I could use a few more min/max versions placed around the rooms.

@Organic sinse ... I have really seen that recently in my greenhouse plants. They are some of the worst off right now. They are from seed and did really well right up until they got to around 24” and it started to heat up here. I laid the mulch layers on thick on these guys thinking it would help, but it does seem like maybe it’s creating too much of a difference from the root zone to the new growth at the tips. ( another point of interest... the curl always affects the newest growth, older fan leaves never take a hit) I also have them sitting right on the ground in the fabric pots. I’ll try to get them on pallets today and remove some of the mulch layers and see if that makes a difference. I’ll pick up a soil thermometer too...:thumbsup:

@waktoo ... thanks for trying to figure this out with me bud! I’ll pm you directly :rave-girl:
    Edit : I tried to pm you Wak, but it says I can’t. Maybe to need to adjust your settings? I reached out to @Chunk to see what he says...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Working now?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Any advice on what to top dress a small plant with depleted soil that just started flowering?
    I have Compost, earthworm castings, kelp, Alfalfa, neem meal, crab meal, dolomite lime, and espoma tomatoe tone,
    Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  5. if u know its depleted id say 2 inches of vmc and a bit of kelp. Maybe some compost extract waterings? Ive been dealing with some similar issues due to new/not enough soil

• Like Like x 2
  6. First thing, I'd transplant it to a bigger pot with good soil, assuming it can be done safely.
    Are the worm castings high quality?
    If so, I'd start with that if you can't uppot it yet.
    I hesitate to add more than one thing at a time. A little kelp as suggested above probably wouldn't hurt as well. I'd mix it with the castings and top dress.

• Like Like x 3
  7. #19327 rnz, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    edit: wrong place

8. My first no-till grow, haven't been really top dressing, but introduced some worms and put in a few avocado bombs the past few weeks. I feel like I should start top dressing though, and adding more nutrients.

How often do you guys top dress? From what I'm reading most people simply like to add fresh milled MBP and some vermicompost?

• Like Like x 4
  9. You can do mpb every 10 days or so.. In general i think vmc less often.. Maybe at the start and at switch to flower with a bit of kelp. Seems a bit of kelp never hurts...

• Like Like x 3
  10. If this is your first run in no till, you likely don’t need to topdress anything. I’m just assuming that you started with something along the lines of Coots mix, but if that’s the case and you let it sit long enough to allow the micro life to get the nutrient cycling into play, then there should be plenty in there for the first run. I suppose that if you are attempting this in a smaller container ( 10-15 gallon) then maybe a little tea here and there but that should do it. Does it look like they are deficiencies or like they are running out of gas? If not, LITFA...
    I do use some MBP occasionally, but IMO I wouldn’t use it past week 4 of flower. Too heavy of an application in flower can lead to some crazy foxtailing. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 323DB266-2BDC-4E85-A4A3-955CA20F3367.jpeg A1FB898F-EA90-4038-9C1A-5608E12388DD.jpeg Alright, so this showed up this week in one if my beds but only on one strain. There is three strains in this bed and this one ( white skunk) is the only one show these symptoms. Looks to me like K and maybe Ca def...?
    We are on day 35 of flower. I’m thinking of hitting them with some Maxi crop 0-0-17, but will it do any good?
    Big leaf is low on the plant, small ones right from the canopy

• Like Like x 3
  12. @JMcGD Can I ask where you normally get your K from? Do you use any potassium silicate - like protekt, agsil, etc? And can I also ask if you utilize the blumat moisture meters? Just curious.

P-

• Like Like x 2
  13. Well, for K I usually rely on my kelp and my compost ( lots of banana peels, I’ve even green mulched a few into the beds occasionally) and I’ve added greensand as a topdress on the last amendment cycle. I also have some Maxi crop 0-0-17 that I like to bump them with during the early stages of flower.
    I do use potassium silicate, I’ve got a gallon of pro tek that I’ve been limping through for years.
    I think this strain is just K hungry... it’s in the same bed with 3 other strains that look just fine, but at day 35 I’d like to give it some love to get it over the hump.
    Man, I spent a few hundred dollars on some Blu mat tech ( with the drip hose) and had one flood that scared me and I never followed through with it. I really need to pull it back out and get it goin in at least one bed. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other growers ( most of them anyway;)) and I really do want to get them figured out.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 6
  14. #19334 Cthulhu23, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    I never can tell the best forum to share updates, rather than creating a new thread...thought I'd post here in any case!

I *finally* have 3, 20 gallon no-till pots going!

[​IMG]

Top and right pots are the Coots mix, to a T. Unfortunately for those two I only had mediocre quality compost and worm castings, so we will see how they go. Bottom pot is Coots mix made with high quality compost (Mix of Bu's Blend and Quobby compost), and high quality worm castings (Organic Solutions...took a full month to get to me), with a few extra inputs (lighter additions of alfalfa, crab meal, and fish bone meal). Bottom and right plants are Blue Dream, top is Gold Leaf.

Wondering if I could get some ideas about what's going on for the larger plant? She had some damage done to the main stem by a borer of some sort - chewed a hole in the side, dug down where the "heart wood" would be in a tree. The plant has odd symptoms ever since (stalled growth, now these blotches on some fan leaves).

[​IMG]

I'm trying to be *very* judicious in my watering, as I have had a bad run of over-watering earlier. The leaf curl reminds me of over-watering, but given that I water maybe once every 3-4 days and a light amount at that (pot feels lighter, water till it feels heavy) I am doubtful it's over-watering.

Edit: Could this be minor light stress? I've seen the two smaller plants "praying" a few times lately but just figured they were happy - now I'm seeing that's a possible sign of too intense light?

• Like Like x 4
  15. Fun little addition to the bed. Can anybody tell me what kind of mushrooms just for sport? 20200810_102316.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. From my observation and what others have said, cannabis will suck up some potassium. Imho if your soil test results are in the 'ok' range, you're low.

Yep, 100% agree on the blumat systems. I'm still chalking some of it up to user error/learning curve, but the blusoak tape is far from easy imho. I do think the moisture meters are a good tool though.

Do you hand water then?

P-

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. I agree on the K ... I’m thinking it’s time for some current soil tests. It’s been awhile. I am pretty stoked that my beds have dropped their pH ranges from the low to mid 7s down to the mid to upper 6s. With the exception of the one strain that is pictured above with the jacked up leaves, ( only this strain is being affected) things look really good in there right now. Most of what was unavailable is now up for grabs and the plants are in overdrive!
    I do have one of the moisture meters, I’d like to get one for every bed though. I do water by hand currently, and fairly often. I’ve seen the lower layers of the big beds get too dry in the past so I have been keeping them a bit wetter, hanging around 40-60 mb, occasionally watering to a bit of runoff. I also water in stages, multiple passes over an hour or so. Sometimes I’ll give them a pretty good hit two days in a row.

• Like Like x 6
  18. It looks like the soil is just a smidge too hot for the plants. Don’t feed or topdress anything except aloe. It doesn’t look that bad and I would guess they will suck it up soon.
    RD

• Like Like x 5
  19. LBM’s. AKA little brown mushrooms. 1000’s of different species. You would need a guy like Paul Stamets in order to get an exact ID. Amateur mycologists literally refer to them as LBM’s.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Awww shit! Here come Rancho... dropping the science!:D Lol!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3