No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Thanks Possum, it is definitely too much work! However, I'll be pretty stoked once it's all done. Then we need to start on the other greenhouses lol.

No rest for the wicked!

P-

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. To the guy grinding alfalfa seeds.....your funny. Seriously, I think you miss read something along the way or just mis understood it. This is the two ways anyone would use alfalfa, not just no till guys. If you have seed, you germinate it, and when the taproot is showing you grind it, add water, strain and foliar spray. Or you get alfalfa meal. Which probably looks like your weed, and mix it with your soil or top dress. Lastly, you can make a tea with ewc and air stone, or a ferment, without the air stone. Either way you choose, dont grab a grinder and some seeds and call it a day. Thats not a thing that people do, no one here has heard of that. Good luck man. I would do some reading of books and remember that other people giving advice might be new, or telling you something wrong. Again, good luck

5. Hey, just thought i would jump in here.
    People actually do grind up seeds to amend their soil. Normally not alfalfa seeds because their so small but people grind up bigger seeds. For instance a quarter cup of pumpkin seeds contains
    Pumpkin Seeds Raw per ¼ Cup Finely Ground:

• Calcium – 59.3 mg
    • Iron – 21.0 mg
    • Magnesium – 738.0 mg
    • Phosphorous – 1620.0 mg
    • Potassium – 1114.0 mg
    • Zinc – 10.3 mg
    • Copper – 1.9 mg
    • Manganese – 4.2 mg
    I'm not claiming that this is better than germinating them or anything like that, just saying if you add grinded seeds to your soil you are adding nutrients that will slowly be released to the soil.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Yes, thanks for the correction. Calcium carbonate CaCO3... lime not gypsum.

• Like Like x 1
  7. @Patanjali , damn dude!
    High bay lighting, epoxy floor, linear floor drain, massive raised air beds, gazillion sq ft....? You’re building my dream gro-een house!
    Looks most excellent!:weed-4:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Does the sulfate in gypsum turn into sulfuric acid with microbial action? I was a little confused on this especially since Chunk said gypsum won't really lower soil pH.

Many thanks!

Lol! Thanks JM! Yes, as I have said before, I'm pretty lucky and grateful to be doing what I'm doing. I work seven days a week and don't mind it one bit! Can't wait till the weather gets a little nicer!

Om shanti,

P-

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Just curious but why not use LEDs? You guys could reduce your power consumption considerably, especially with these new quantum boards that are available these days.

• Like Like x 2
  10. The boss has mentioned it for veg plants this summer. Not much experience with them, but I'm not a fan of LED's. I've heard they're a lot better now.

P-

• Like Like x 1
  11. LED tech has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past three years. The efficiency is really good with quantum boards, even better then COBs.
    Most top boards today use the samsung 301b diode which has a Luminous Efficacy of 223 lm/W which is huge compared to 100 lm/W on HPS, not to mention a much better spectrum for photosynthesis.
    Rumor has it that Samsung are going to release new horticulture diodes this year which will improve on it by 5-10% so you might want to hold off till those come out for equipping such a large space.

BTW if you still grow at home check out these boards they are all the rage rn, everyone who got them can’t stop praising their performance. I just got 4 of them myself for my 3x4.
    QB96 Elite V2 Engine

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, MY opinion, man.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ended up hitting up Rockdust local for a big 40lb bag basalt blend. looks like some nice stuff came in few days and pretty sure it was free shipping good price thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  13. I saved pumpkin seeds from the fall. I will plant some, the rest for ssts or ground to powder!
    Free is where its at!
    Cheers
    Os

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. How can those lights be so high above the canopy? It’s something I always wanted to know. I always see the large facilities have the lights so high. I get stretching at a couple feet above

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  15. It’s been a minute, but I thought I throw a few pics up of my current run. This is my 4th cycle in 15g pots. I popped a pack of SisSkunk from Dominion seed co and found 4 females. Theses clones are about 5 weeks in veg and I’m just about ready to flip in the next few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/...le.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1306&context=ijs
    Here's a paper i found on the dissolution of gypsum and anhydrite in water. We must think of soil as a large and extremely complicated buffer solution containing a ton of acids and their conjugated bases (and bases with their conjugated acids). Buffer solutions are by definition pH stable so they will need large quantities of acids or bases to influence their pH significantly. (pH= pKa+log (base/acid)) I wish i had more time to awnser your question correctly, i'm rapidly approaching the deadline for my memoirs (i'm not sure people use this term in english..it'S basically a a thesis) and have no free time. I can go into it deeper this summer if you want... for the next months i'll be pretty much useless.

• Like Like x 2
  17. My boss is interested in LED's for one of the warehouses. All we're really using the lights for in the greenhouse is supplemental lighting. The sun is really our main lighting source.

Glad they worked for you! Funny thing, I just ordered 5 boxes of the same thing today! We need to find a more environmentally friendly/cost effective way of getting rock dust. But atm, I gotta mix now and they're fast! If you order rock dust from BAS they will just charge you more money, and then have rockdustlocal send it to you.

I know right? I thought the same thing. When I talked to Nanolux a couple of years ago they said to keep the lights at least 3-5' away from the canopy. Since then I have found you can keep them a lot closer, but they do a good job at 5-6' away. Plus the overlapping of the lights, and the fact that they are just supplemental lighting. We do have ours on rope ratchets, but I doubt we'll raise or lower them much.

Peace!

P-

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was wondering why you didn’t have LEDs too. I’ve been hesitant as well, but I did a bit of research and like Scoob says , they have indeed come a long way. That industry seems to progress every month right now!
    I did get one of the QB 96 V2 Elites and stacked it in between two 315 CMH and all I can say is daaaamn!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I’ve been using 2x 260w xl kits from hlg in my little 4x4 tent and couldn’t be happier. They put out a ton of light for only 520 watts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. "We need to find a more environmentally friendly/cost effective way of getting rock dust."

@Patajali

You should call Cascade Minerals directly and see if you can arrange to buy it in totes.

Products | Cascade Minerals

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1