No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. #14661 Chunk, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Are those in live or dead plant tissue? What size are they? Are those eggs in the lower stalk? Are they damaging your plants or are they in the mulch?

• Like Like x 2
  2. They were in a piece of mulched straw.

Although I am finding a few aphids here and there on very low popcorn.

3. The worm population just in the top 1” is staggering in numbers.

4. #14665 ocitown, Feb 12, 2019
    52931814-AD47-45AD-ACAD-38BC55D4891B.jpeg Been a long time since sprouting seeds,over 10 years.

Added about an inch of pumice on the bottom,plastic on top and a heat mat under.

Am I missing anything here?

It’s day #1

5. Were you stone when you did them? Forget to out the seeds in?:confused_2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sorry,my bad.
    It’s edited better now.

7. Hahahaha I'm just pulling your leg bud. Na you should be good .

8. Look into getting some Green Lacewings to control aphids. I believe @Prepper420 has used them with good results. He hasn't been around for a while however.

• Like Like x 2
  9. #14670 Possuum, Feb 12, 2019
    i do something real similar (cloning tray on a heat mat) but i use sandwich baggies (cheap ones) with about 1/2" cut out of one corner so heat and moisture can escape they're easily secured with a rubber band or tape. the tent of the baggie also allows for ~ 2" of vertical growth when the seed sprouts which can easily happen over night or away at work for the day. temperature is important inside the dome so it doesnt hurt to keep an eye on it 78f-82f being optimal. lower doesnt hurt much but 82f> is too warm imo/e. if you have troubles maintaining temps and dont have a vented dome try putting the mat on a timer. i've had good success with that. and finally, heat transfers to cold so i've found that seedling mats work best on a non-thermal conducting surface like a piece of foam or a piece of wood.

hth's.

ps. remove the plastic/baggie once the seed breaks the surface. if you stick with the plastic poke some holes in it with a toothpick. you did do the pre-soak prior to sowing?

pps. too much moisture is the enemy of your seed and seedling. idk if it's skill, art, or dumb luck getting it right. i use a turkey baster to water my germinating seeds (distilled water only). sometimes only a few drops of water is all that's needed. do not overwater.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. #14671 GSX-R420, Feb 12, 2019
    I appreciate it, I'm in the bay area Northern California. I'll check and see if they have it up here.

11. I will keep an eye on temps within using a laser gun and adjust the dome height and possibly buffer the mat with a spacer as well.
    A few toothpick holes is a good idea,the baggie deal is better for the reasons you stated so next time.
    There is a good inch in these and I check very regularly,I’m guessing since I planted them ~3\8” deep they could take a week or more to break?
    I did soak the seeds in a shot glass with 2 drops of peroxide 2% for 10 hours,3 sunk and 4 were still floating.
    I also use distilled room temp water from a 60ml syringe for watering.

Seems so silly but my old age is getting the best of my limited memory I think,I can’t remember.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. So what are these Chunk?

13. They look pretty big, could be larvae of some sort. Never seen them before. Are they fairly abundant in your straw/mulch layer?

14. #14675 Chunk, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    How big are they? They look like a larvae of some sort and since they're in the straw and not causing damage to your plant, they appear to be larvae of some sort of detritivore.

If you have a UC California Extension Office in your county, they should have a Plant, Disease and Insect clinic with an entomologist. Our county has one run by the Master Gardeners with access to the plant pathology lab at WSU. Collect the specimens and bring pics with you and they should be able to ID it for you.

I suspect they're BSF (black soldier fly) pupae but can't be certain. We have a thread here about them for your educational pleasure,

[​IMG]

Black Soldier Fly / Hermetia illucens

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Has anyone heard from @waktoo?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. no come to think of it. hiatus perhaps.

17. Knock me over with a feather.........looks like he quietly deleted his account and left GC. I didn't even know it.

Wak.PNG

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. Well that is some bummer news.

Sent on my pet rock using my upgraded sling shot!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. #14680 Chunk, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    He was GC's water quality expert. He'll be missed. Come to think of it, haven't seen or heard from @donothinggardening .either.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1