No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. that looks amazing, can't wait to pop my big sur holy bud x ninja turtles

you'll be able to find stray's work at many of the us based seed banks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was under the impression that outdoor plants usually wont need support.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Was this in reference to my pot?

We just had for the second time in two months wind,with gusts up to 50 mph.
    It shredded up my bananas and only because my plants are only a couple feet tall and I had it up against the house it didn't topple.

With colas at 4-7' they would be gone.

I just finished my first outdoor which was not notill and plants finished at 30" and zero wind and no issues.

Common sense guides me to build support.
    I use 1/2 strength silica for everything (Not BM's) so they are strong but I can not imagine not having lateral support built in for late flowering plants even without wind.

Would LOVE to know my plants could grow unsupported throughout a full grow but I don't think it's even possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. when I grew in san francisco my garden got 50-70 mile an hour gusts coming down from twin peaks when there was bad weather. It's usually fine for the smaller plants with thinner flexible stems, but if you have large plants that are over 4 feet, the thick woody stalks can actually become quite brittle as the plant matures. I definitely think it's important for the plants to have support in high wind conditions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeah forget what i said lol, obviously i didn't take strong winds into account.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stunted, delayed, but lookin good now.. others laggin behind this one yet. hopefully transfer into no-tills soon for first run!

That's the 7th node coming out now.. Maybe I can top the 8th?

Attached Files:

7. I prefer to LST a plant or supercrop it if the need arises. Topping the apical meristem causes a lot of stress.
    RD

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Not to mention how heavy those branches are when they have late season flowers on them. Forget about it when they get a little rain on them...they become like elephant trunks. That was a big lesson learned at the end of my first outdoor season.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Anyone use Sous Vide to make butter?
    I'm sure simmering the butter/water/flower at a precise temp for a precise time would make a better extraction.
    And carbonizing would give it a better punch as well.

10. I don't see how Sous Vide would make butter better (not sure if precision in temperature is so important for extraction) but I did spend a good amount of time trying to figure out a way to use the Sous Vide method to better control the decarb process, in terms of ensuring temps staying consistent and using a liquid to better convey and stabilize the ambient temps to the cannabis.

I ended up realizing that I could not realistically get liquids up to the decarb temperature without using pressure so I ended up buying a large pressure cooker, which brings water up to a desirable 250° F. I'm on the fence as to how much better or worse it is than the traditional oven method. My ovens are all over the place, when I use a laser temp gauge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well it's just a matter of knowing what temps degrade the goodies,oil,water and alcohol all have boiling points which are very different from one another.
    It's a question beyond both of our pay scales.
    Try decarbing in a vacuum rather than a pressure cooker,only the higher pressure cookers can boil at 250F.
    Most ovens bounce with temps,some of the more precise ovens are the proofing ones used for artisans from what I have heard.
    I cook a lot and use very high quality lazers and digital probes,makes a huge difference imo.

Lemme know if ya dial in that Recipe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Have you considered a stone for your oven? Like for pizza or baking? Might help to stabilize temps?

• Like Like x 1
  13. IIRC the optimum decarbing temperature (for maximum conversion of THC-A and least amount of degradation to CBN is at 103c which is just over boiling temperature for water, so a sous vide will likely fall short in that regards.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ya I've tried many different things in the oven to provide thermal mass (including a pizza stone) and was never satisfied with the temperature swings. Using a laser thermometer I was able to take lots of readings, at different places on a cookie sheet. Our ovens (we have two) are pretty dated at this point, and while I've calibrated them, they still aren't very accurate or steady. I think this is a pretty well understood shortcoming of consumer ovens though, like ocitown mentions.

That said, I've still been successful with decarbing in the oven on a cookie sheet, I just tend to over analyze things sometimes and strive for the most perfect solution for my circumstances. My original effort was to find a very predictable and consistent method so that I could produce tincture with as predictable results as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I *just* did a bunch of research again on decarbing again in prep for infusing coco oil. I'm already infamous with the many people who have tried my edibles, I'm really reallllly good at making them. But I always forget the process if I haven't done it for a while LOL

The scientific publication I read agreed there are a variety of methods that work, but the one I settled on at least landed on 110c for 110 min as having max conversion. which is what I use every time, and people who "never feel anything from edibles" are knocked on their ass. I'm not exaggerating when I say I make some of the most potent infused coco oil youll ever try, at least without using concentrates to infuse. Trim works well, large amounts of kief after big trims works REALLY well and might as well be a concentrate.

(PDF) Decarboxylation of Δ 9-tetrahydrocannabinol: Kinetics and molecular modeling

• Like Like x 1
  16. How do you decarb in a vacuum?

BTW, all the basic pressure cookers I've seen (not talking about the fancier electric ones, which I don't know about) produce 15 lbs of pressure, which brings water to 250°...give or take depending on your altitude.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Sous Vide Decarboxylation

This does not reach the research-suggested 110c though. That research also suggests 110 for almost 2 hrs and this site recommends 98 for 1 hour - seems low to me. However, when i decarb in a convection oven the heat fluctuates so much I'm sure I never have it at 110c precisely for very long, and they always turn out great. But I do decarb for a good 1.5-1.75 hrs before adding to quite low temp oil, below 150f (65c, so I'm not decarbing much further just infusing). Then I leave it to infuse just a couple/few hours. I've tried 8 hrs, overnight, short time etc.. never noticed much diff between just a cpl hours and 8+ for infusion

The main thing is get at least to sous-vide temp and keep it there for quite a while. 98 I'm guessing you'd have to maintain that for over 2 hrs if you trust the science. I always make a tin-foil envelope and seal it when I decarb in the oven, if I open it at the end right away a huge burst of steam + terps will come out. Smells great but I let it settle before opening and adding to oil just in case lol..

18. Another thing is, if you're decarbing and then infusing for edibles.. I also read that when youre baking with the oil/butter, the cakes or brownies or whatnot you make will not reach a high enough internal temperature to decarb further (at least not any meaningful amount). As long as it's something that has moisture in it, it will not be decarbing during the baking process, all the way through to the cake being finished - so you definitely want max conversion beforehand.

I ate about a 1/2 tsp of kief coco oil just to see, and was absolutely obliterated a while back. I mean like uncomfortably stoned, had to leave the house and go outside. Way too much, but just to show the potency and how good the conversion is with the way I do it, it's gotta be close to fully active in oil form already.

19. Ya I definitely like the idea of sous vide decarb, I just didn't like the thought of an incomplete decarb so I avoided it back then because I was basically trying to make tincture "commercially". That's why I pursued it via pressure cooker. These days though, I think I'd be more interested in letting it under-decarb so that it retains more of the fresh goodies...being less interested in the high these days.

• Like Like x 1