No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Is it the fish compost that takes 2 years?

2. I forget now, my dad used to just dig a bit deeper in the garden and toss in the heads/guts then bury it

• Like Like x 6
  3. Google makes it sound easy lol Screenshot_20180620-072133_Google.jpg i thought there was a alternative method to this above ground taking up to 2 years to fully make. I'll have to do some digging to find it.(lol)

4. Wouldn't the "mulching" of compost be referred to as "topdressing"?

This question is awesome though! I see exactly where you're coming from.
    We must continue to question what constitutes a "mulch" or "mulching"

perhaps a google definition would help us out...

Awesome thoughts bobrown420! Keep em comin!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. View attachment 2462495 Hmmm... too much wood in my pine bark mulch?
    The gal at PN said it was PBM but maybe it’s not been composted enough? I just spread it on top and did not mix it in so I can remove it easily enough.
    Any thoughts gentlemen? And ladies...

• Like Like x 1
  6. 307846A7-E58E-46A9-8BC0-F9BA8C666C17.jpeg
    Not sure why it didn’t load...

• Like Like x 1

7. MAKE YOUR OWN FISH EMULSION

One option for fertilizing your garden organically is to use fish emulsion. However, buying it at the store can run you $20-$25 a gallon. Here’s a way to make it yourself, care of Chris Edwards, farm manager at Fresh Roots Farm in Atlanta. You will need:

• A bucket WITH A LID—any size
    • Brown material, such as dried oak leaves—enough to fill 1/3 of the bucket
    • Fish scraps—enough to fill 1/3 of the bucket
    • Water
    I used a 5 quart bucket, but you could make much more. A 5 gallon bucket would work great. Check your grocery store fish counter for fish trimmings. If they make their own filets on-site, they may be willing to give or sell you pieces of bone, fins, or heads. I got my scraps from the DeKalb Farmers Market in Decatur for $0.60 a pound. (NOTE: If you have a feline companion, fish scraps are also a good alternative to processed cat food.)

[​IMG]
    Step one: Fish scraps + leaves

1. Layer leaves and fish pieces in three or four layers until the bucket is 2/3 full. End with fish on top to keep the leaves from floating.

2. Cover with water, leaving a couple inches of space at the top.

3. Seal the bucket well and place in an out-of-the way place.

4. Check the bucket every day for a week, and then every few days, to see if gas is building up. If so, release it by opening the lid for a moment. Stir once a week once gases start forming.

5. Let the emulsion sit for about a month. It will break down faster in warmer weather, slower in cold.

[​IMG]
    Our fish emulsion after three weeks.

To use your emulsion:

1. Strain out the leaves and fish scraps by pouring the whole concoction through a spare colander. Alternatively, use the lid to catch the material while pouring the water into a second bucket. BE CAREFUL to keep the emulsion off your skin and clothes as the smell of fish can follow you for several days.

2. When applying, dilute about 5 oz. of emulsion into one gallon of water. (Use a 15 oz. can filled 1/3 to 1/2 of the way.) For more, dilute two full 15 oz. cans into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Make a weaker solution for younger seedlings.

3. The left-over scraps can be used to make another emulsion. Simply add more water and start the process over again. Material can be used up to 3 times.

NOTE: Once fish emulsion has been used in a watering can, it will always smell like fish, so designate one receptacle for its use.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. If the manufacturer can't tell me what's in the bag I leave it on the shelf. I've used the small, medium and large bark mulch from Lowe's. The large stuff has quite a bit of wood in it. As long as it's not cedar your only problem is the mulch layer is too thin.
    Hardwood sawdust and fish are two of my favorite composting materials. Fish is one of the strongest N sources and hardwood sawdust one of the strongest C sources out there. It can be made worm-ready in as lil as six weeks.
    RD

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. There's always an interesting approach on any organic method in this forum. Google has its own.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cold press
    decarb prior to cold press extraction will yield a more potent end product....although still pales in comparison in regards to potency compared to more aggressive methods......I’ve found a longer decarb at a lower temp (10-12 hrs at 170-180) seems to preserve more of the fresh flavor....less toasty......just my two cents. Also the most delicious of all tinctures!!! Hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Do you guys compost mite infected plants or toss them away?

@JMcGD what is the fabric you made the bed with? It looks cool.

@SCCC and I'm about to make a nice coco oil infuse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. My prefered pine bark comes from Lowes, the "Evergreen" brand out of Muscle Shoals, Al. Next to zero wood in the mulch, but agree about the larger sizes, but that is only used around trees and such for weed control.

A sort of answer came from a youtube about making telephone poles. The de-barker went around the circumfrence of the tree rather than lengthwise like one of those old apple peelers where the apple rotated and the peeling blade stayed stationary, rather than holding the apple and pulling a peeler from top to bottom. The one resulted in much less apple or wood being removed than the peeler or draw knife type de-barker. A few seconds of seeing it work made it all clear about the amount of wood in the bark mulch.

Wet

• Like Like x 3
  13. I really suck at posting oics, but in the pic above that JMcGD posted, the dark brown fingernail sized stuff is the bark fines and the lighter, larger chunks are indeed, wood chips.

The only bitch I have with the pine needles is taking so long to break down because of that waxy coating. But, if you have real old stuff that has started decomposing/breaking down, it should work just fine. With only two trees, although very large (75'+), there are enough needles to make a mess but not enough to form a deep mat to break down. For the concrete like red clay with granite under that, the size of the trees around here amaze me. IDK, perhaps it's the 1,000' elevation, but ??? My old house was 3' above sea level. LOL I got nosebleeds the first month we moved here from SoFl. Pussy Florida boy!

Wet

• Like Like x 4
  14. For coconut oil or MCT I like to start with a concentrate. Dry sift works great.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pardon if this question has been answered, I'm reading through the first notil thread and coot states topping plants will reduce flavor in basal and is similarly bad for cannabis plants my question is will topping the mother cause this same issue in all future clones or is that not the case?

16. Figured I should share my progress so far, just switched over to notil less than a cycle ago, still working on upgrading the whole garden from 10 gallon ROLS to large notil beds. I started by converting my 4x4 veg tent with a 150 gallon smartie and a 630 CMH with dual switches so I can only run one and save power during veg. Here's the LSD I'm growing in it after 1 month in veg, right before the flip i have NEVER filled up a tent like this before, just beautiful imo

The next bed to be converted was my 4x4 flowering box with 1k hid. It got another 150g smartie and is currently vegging on 75% power. Here they are soon after transplant when the lsd was flipped to flower.
    The next tent to get converted is my 5x5 with 720w of led which is getting a 200g smartie and I plan to run 5 plants in it. Right now its finishing up 3 remaining plants in various stages of readiness but all coming down in the next few weeks. Gonna be running a pinapple chunk in there that I've never grown before. Here is a plant I just harvested tonight, with the first clover flowers I have ever seen in my couple years of using it as a living mulch cool!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Can we just say some things might get overstated a bit?

How can you NOT top a mother plant to get clones? If there was any reduction in flavor, it was so slight that I never noticed it and after that statement from Coot I did try a side by side.

IDK, perhaps extreme topping, but just the normal taking of clones, or the normal topping as part of gardening practice just never seemed to have a noticeable effect.

Wet

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. If i top a mother that was grown from clone of a mother that had been topped, wait where was i going with this?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Does a wooden top with string taste better than a plastic wind up top???

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. @GardenGuy
    Its landscape fabric from Lowes... 80$ for 6' x 100"
    it worked great!

• Like Like x 2