No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Made a soil mixer yesterday mad weed scientist lol....its Aliiiive!! (lol) 20180604_181023_1.gif 20180605_100145_1.gif 20180605_095940.jpg cheap and effective

• Like Like x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Thanks my back sure will appreciate it and the time i save is worth the time I spent making this contraption. The dryer can and the belt and the pulley came off the old dryer I replaced. The motor is a old sump pump that the shaft broke on the impeller. The skateboard was on the property when we bought it never got around to tossing it....glad I didn't now. The rest is scrap 2x4s and 2x6s

• Like Like x 3
  3. #12324 tejashidrow, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Hi
    Remember that the notill soil is supposed to stay moist.
    By following the above schedule you will have a base line for your soil mix moistness and Water holding capabilities.
    The schedule is NOT set in stone
    Just a starting point.
    You can add extra days between “scheduled” feeds/ watering if that’s what’s needed to maintain your soil mix’s moisture level without any issues.

No you do not need to buy coconuts and crack em
    ( though I did ONCE just to see)
    Pick up 100x powdered green coconut water
    About a tablespoon (?) per gallon of water
    Can’t find 100x??
    Get normal green coconut water powder and double the amount.
    Of course if you live on a coconut tree plantation then go ahead and crack em!!!

Google foiler spray marijuna
    The interweb is your friend!!!!
    Peace!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Got the plants sitting in holes filled with composted horse manure. This was my solution for not having larger pots this year.
    I have yet to try it, but I think screened composted horse manure would make excellent mulch. Really worked great raked into the backyard solarized dirt. It may actually support life now. In fact some wildflowers and strawberry clover we tossed out there has sprouted up.
    Left row from back to front: Guawi (Ace), Panama x Bangi Haze (Ace), Kali China (Ace).
    Right row back to front: Guawi, Queen Mother (Original Delicatessen), C99 (Female Seeds)
    Single plant on right: Kali China - going to a friend so no h-poo for you sorry baby
    [​IMG]
    Irie vibes to your gardens friends

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 6
  5. I don't remember reading about this in the 60 or so pages of that thread that I read. Can you elaborate as to why you want it to stay moist as opposed to having wet/dry cycles?

Can't seem to find any 100x online. I might order some, but in the mean time I was thinking about buying the Goya brand PURE coconut water drinks at the supermarket. They are pretty affordable, I can get a 12 pack of 16.9 oz drinks for $27, that's $0.13 per ounce. If I'm only using 1/4 Cup per watering, that's only costing me 52 cents per watering cycle for the coconut.

6. Im no guru but in a nutshell....
    Haveing a constantly moist soil helps with the bacteria and fungi growth thus helping to break down the soils content which upon bacteria’s death the plants use them as food.
    I’m sure it’s somewhere in the 617 pages that a constant moist soil , not a wet dry cycle is wanted for optimum plant performance.
    Moist is good for notill
    I’m sure someone will chime in to correct me if I’m wrong.
    Ooooooops!!!
    I mixed up aloa Vera (200x) with coconut water.
    Alovera powder is the 200x
    Coconut water powder is just coconut water powder.
    Yes some do buy bottles of it but make sure only coconut water nothing else
    No flavorings or preservatives.
    Check out Build a soil or amazon for coconut water powder
    Sorry bout that....,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. they are composters no worries.

8. you just have to get the ingredients and start mixing up some soil to fill pots up, plant some seeds and viola! you are no-tilling before you know it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. @Azbud2001
    Glad to hear you are heading down the NT path! I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool six months or so ago, and with the help from some key blades here managed to pull off a sweet run the first time!
    Here are some things I learned that might help you out...
    A) Be ready to go into this with an open mind, be a sponge, listen to those on this forum who are the main contributors. For the most part :) they know their shizz! For me, hydro was easy, Organics made me want more education on the subject by far.
    B) Go with as big a container as possible. Those smaller containers are great if that’s all the space you can afford, but the bigger you go the less maintenance you will have to stay on top of. Mine are 220 gallon raised indoor planters and they went through a whole cycle with water only (and some foliars).
    C) Buy in bulk! Assuming you have the space, trust me you will use it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joshua Steensland (on youtube) said he had an issue with them when their population got too big, they started to eat some of his cannabis seedlings. I believe he fixed it by making sure he had plenty of mulch for them to eat. Just a heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. what is the pumice/lava rock used for? Aeration? I've never used this before and kind of new to this but I'd like to give this recipe a go. Just having trouble finding this item.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Get perlite or any other item you normally use for aeration.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yeah it's main use is aeration. In my hood I can only find it in small bags unless I want to drive for an hour to the farm supply. So to save money and reduce the carbon footprint, I use perlite. I like it better for the fact that its lightweight, cheap, and everywhere, not to mention it works great. I also have used growstones - I got a big price reduction by buying an open bag at the (gasp) hydro store. They worked good. Look kinda like pumice but lightweight. Anyway, you have options - don't get hung up if you don't have pumice/lava rock.
    Maybe @FickySiskers can send you some fresh lava rock - get plenty!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Awesome I'll go with perlite then thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The two most inexpensive items in your mix should be your aeration and lime and should be bought locally. People have spent amazing amounts of $$ in shipping because BJ and Coot name checked both pumice and oyster shell flour, forgetting or, ignoring the fact that both of these items were local to both and cheap.

I've used perlite for over 45 years now and it works just fine. Finding a good local source took some legwork when I first moved here 11 years ago, but I now have a reliable source for 4cf bags @$19/bag. Started out at $16/bag some years back. If you do a bit of growing, you'll use a LOT.

Oyster shell flour really takes the cake for cost. Locally, dolomite lime is ~$4.50/40lb bag and works as advertised. Oyster shell flour was $9/40lb bag, not bad, but the shipping bumped that $9 bag up to right at $46, 10x the cost of the dolo. It works well also, but does nothing special to justify a 10x cost increase.

Buy local whenever you can. Organics need not be expensive, there are substitutes for just about everything (kelp meal and neem meal are the exceptions here).

Wet

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Agreed. In my mind the craziest prices are for Biochar - that's the most hyped ingredient ever. What does it offer besides aeration/water retention/cec/microbe housing/c02 sink something or rather? Big deal - my other ingredients got most of that covered easy. I've seen it at around $40 cu/ft before shipping! I have it in my mix, but next time I'm leaving it out. Maybe for the in-ground grows it makes some sense, but in my container grows I'm getting nowhere close to terra preta before I run outta room or die lol.
    Organics can be the cheapest or most expensive way to grow - it's up to your choices.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. #12338 hakav3li, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    hey guys! MountainOrganics made a new Instagram post 2 days ago where he states his "new" soil mix is simply:

Equal parts:

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
    Compost (best you can make/find, we’ve always had success with @malibucompost)
    Pumice / Lava Rock

Per cuF base mix:
    8-10 cups Rock Dust (Basalt / Volcanic / Granite / Glacial)
    8-12 cups BioChar

Since I'm planning to make 150 gallons of soil that means i need about 200 cups of rock dust which is about 100 pounds of rock dust!

There is a nursery near me that sells organic products only, and it only has three kinds of rock dust:
    azomite $38 for 50 pounds or 1.89 per pound
    gia green (glacial rock dust) $52 for 50 lbs. or 1.89 per pound
    soft clay $30 for 50 lbs. or $1 per pound

should i just get a 50 pound bag of glacial rock dust and a 50 pound bag of azomite?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fo Sho! No joke.

But brah, you know it’s kapu. Didn’t we learn anything from the Brady Bunch... lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Lol! Wrap um in some ti leaf, pay the kahuna to pray - I'm shame!

• Funny Funny x 1