No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. #101 HydroOG, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I have my soil split into two 19 gal storage containers. Made of 1/3 premier sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 compost/vermicompost and humus mix, 1/3 small lava rock for aeration. Used 4 cups per container of three types of rock dust: Basalt, Glacial, and Azomite. I also added oyster shell flour, neem, and kelp meal in the amounts listed in your original no till thread.

Edit: I also added 1/2 cup per cf of CalPhos.

• Like Like x 4
  2. We definitely will keep VR only seeds around, I like the vintage lineage. Plus they've been bred in a no-till environment so they carry a bit of sentiment as well.

• Like Like x 7
  3. It's just too bad they're not professional.....

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. MOFO, how much water (in gallons) do you think would be too much for a 7 gallon no till fabric pot on your watering cycle?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. Have you found variegation a common trait in the VR?

• Like Like x 5
  6. I too need to take this opportunity to thank everyone who follows this thread and the organic journals threads you folks take a lot of time and it really shows with such a great community. Cheers from the north!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 10
  7. Maybe this is going to sound sappy but given the great quotes and philosophy laid out in the original post, oh well... Since I've begun getting into no-till, I've noticed my appreciation for nature and even life in general has been amplified greatly. I mean just today I was working in my backyard, tossing worms into a big bin as I found them and I noticed myself grinning by the simple beauty and practicality of it all, of nature doing what it does best! So I'd also like to thank Bluejay (mountain organics), Coot, Jerry, all of the Dawgs, doggs and doggies lol and really everybody here for taking the time to put all of this together and share it with me. Hats off to all of you fine folks!!!

• Like Like x 40
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. 1/4 cup of each amendment per 20gallon smarty? so if i was going to ammend my 100gallon smarty i would just multiply that number by 5? or would you take the fact that the 100gallons is a lot deeper and do less?

also, do you throw all that under or over the mulch?

cant repeat this enough.
    I use this music, seems to work :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  9. #111 smokeandfly1224, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. id rather the plant give the microbes their carbs, makes for a better symbiotic relationship of the soil food web. that's my opinion anyway.
    either will work, only if you get uncharged you will need to charge it yourself. i did this by mixing char with compost in equal parts, getting it wet and letting it sit for a month in a tub.

if you are going to a beer brewing store you want the lightest malted barely they have, something like a pale ale or a pilsner. oh and get 6 row if you can ,but 2 row will work as well.

• Like Like x 16
  11. "noticed my appreciation for nature and even life in general has been amplified greatly"

It happens to most - it's unavoidable once you see what Nature can do vs a few bottles from the Hydro Store. We see this every day but most simply don't SEE it until they get their hands and fingernails dirty.

Congrats on an eye opening experience.

J

• Like Like x 31
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. It's pretty simple to charge your own but it's really gardeners choice. If you decide to charge it yourself, dump the char into a waterproof container and cover it with a nutrient tea for a couple weeks. Strain and use. Chicken manure pellets, kelp, alfalfa all work.

I didn't mention neem because of the stank...

J

• Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Is that anything like the inbreed store?

Get pale or Pilsen

• Like Like x 11
  14. Can anyone here offer their input on bone char? It is very hard to find good sources of information regarding bone char.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. IMO I would stay away from bone sources that you aren't intimately familiar with. It is the norm to feed animals in the industry GMO foods. Also given the environmental impact the meat/dairy/poultry industries have on our world it isn't very sustainable. What are you looking for in the bone char for your plants?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 10
  16. I understand what you mean. I have no idea where the animals come from but I work in a BBQ restaurant and have access to all the pork bones that we usually just toss. I only wanted to use them because they are free for me.

But, how about using them for Cal Phos? Would it be ok to char them and then soak them in vinegar in order to have calphos as a bloom booster at the start of flowering?

• Like Like x 3
  17. I did a little poking around the interwebs and found someone that has actually done what you're trying to achieve.

--"Our household will start a wood fire in the Jotul wood stove in the evening that is nice and hot, and if we have bones (cooked and dried after making bone stock, for example) we will add these in the last stages of the fire or to the hot coals. This is more than sufficient to burn the remaining fat and protein matrix out of the bone and result in an easily crumbled product the next day. The bone still keeps its normal shape in the stove so that it is easily separated from the ash or biochar. There is not much need for a separate container in the stove. The bone will literally crumble to powder with minimal force. We prefer to add this bone char to the compost piles to further the process.

The theory behind this approach is that the bone char provides a rich source of phosphorous as some form of hydroxyapatite that still requires mycorrhizal support to make it available to plants and will not result in the inhibition of the plant-fungal association that occurs in high levels of free phosphate. Theory aside, there has been remarkable improvement in production from our base soil that is a sand and silt mix that is poor source of minable phosphate. We can easily process much of rib bones from a moose or caribou over the course of the winter.
    The picture shows a pile of the accumulated bone char before it is crushed to powder."

If you would like the link it's Bone Char in Alkaline soils— and the best way to make it. (soil forum at permies)

P.S. Soaking the bone in vinegar seems to be a method to eliminate the phosphorous content.

• Like Like x 5
  18. How do you figure? I picked up this information from mr cho's korean natural farming handbook. This is part of his recipe for Cal Phos

• Like Like x 1