No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Hello, I've been mulching with comfrey. Seems I got a little carried away and attracted Springtails. It was about 30 of them when I hit them with some DE to dry them out. Will that get rid of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. It should help along with not watering. Only way to get rid of them is to dry it out. I have boat loads of them and they don’t seem to bother anything. I also use predators so that might be helping too.

Everything looks good to me!! lol
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Once Ive gotten them I've never fully gotten rid of them. Even the predators haven't fully knocked them out but yes drying the soil seems to be the only thing that helps IME. They don't do me any harm either. The only thing I noticed is if I start seeds in the final pot they will sometimes appear munch on the seedling a little as it's just coming outta the shell. For this reason and some others I start everything in solo cups and transplant after. How are you liking the tonic? Do you soil drench, foliar spray or both? I haven't had the pleasure to use mine yet. I have some of MOFOs genetics I'm looking forward to trying as well . Great looking girl ya got there!

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Yes sir! Just part of the soil food web. I also find lady bugs and bring them in. Forgot to mention that. Idk if they actually do anything only being a few of them, but it makes me happy lol
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. I drench once a week normally. I did a foliar today in veg with Tonic, Yucca extract, and Shilajit.

I totally feel you on the seedlings, lost a few to over zealous soil Mites and such. Now I start them in plugs in the dome. I am currently growing Darkshine by MOBO. They smell insane and are just so healthy!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Right, that thing was veracious. Didn't move and snatched them up like a soccer goalie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Right on. I actually just lost one from them too. Well I think it will pull through but it sure has delayed it some. After following MOFOs Instagram page I figured I'd try directly sowing my seeds in the final pot like he was doing. Doesn't work so well for me though. I find it hard keeping the pot moist yet dry enough for the seedling. The soil is also a little too rich for them I think. I gotta learn somehow though! So solo cups it is for me. Now I just gotta decide whether to start the Maya's or the Marmalade. Decisions decisions lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. [​IMG]

I should have taken a before pic but that whole area on the left was covered in DE for 48hrs

I then wet vacuumed out that area after. I'm not seeing any of them right now.

• Like Like x 5
  11. #10258 Jay_R_1787, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Quick question. If I leave my 7 gallon smart pot in a dry area let it dry out completely for 3 weeks will any fungus gnats larva or eggs remain? I still have my smart pot in my growroom and I wanna reuse it and just topdress with some amendments after I'm sure all the pests are dead. All the other used bags of soil is in my compost pile now. There is currently no plants in soil.

12. It probably will but I can tell you, you’ll always have a few around.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I had a serious infestation the sticky cards were black with the bastirds. I tried the d.e and it worked but having to topdress here and there with malted barley and watering in with the fulvic acid I would do from above and they would be back before long. Gotta keep after them this run and my ipm regiment and no more clones from friends.