No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. If you're not using organic sources (Naturox) then you will be adding MASSIVE amounts of a Monsanto fungicide (since circa 1952) which means that this sh*t ends up in animal feed, pet foods, etc.

Seriously - it's a huge issue. Naturox ain't cheap either but it is a very high-quality product.

HTH

• Like Like x 6
  2. Thanks. Again, these are DTE products that are now available to me.

Solo

• Like Like x 4
  3. From Bill Murray's first movie, Where the Buffalo Roam which is about Hunter S. Thompson, aka Dr. Gonzo

Here's my favorite quote from the movie:

He became a man the day of the greatest game he ever played. Everything he ever knew about common decency and morality he learned that day in December from Alan "The Horse" Ameche; and today in the Superbowl he would earn his wings.

The crowd had assembled; a crowd of America's elite. Toyata salesmen from all around the country -- orientals and even those suspected of being orientals -- stacked on the thirty yard line watching him sweat and wipe caked blood from his face. The Gallow brothers -- Ernest and Julio -- party guys who had skinned a few Mexicans and forced them to carry them on their shoulders down to the pre-game tailgate parties at the colosseum. The Pepsi and Coca Cola bottlers of America -- Coke adds life; It's the real thing -- bombarded by missiles; flying flaming matchbook covers.

The waterheads from General Motors up in the top seats where they belong; getting the worst of the pollution. All sorts of weird motherfuckers were at the game.​

• Like Like x 9
  4. So are you saying you won't be joining the BAS User Group??? They've got their own thread you know.

You got fucked by jeremy, so you already meet all of the prerequisites lol.

Solo

• Like Like x 6
  5. That's funny! They have a user support group lol. I think I will meander on over and see what the smell is about! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. I wouldn't. Might make you sick....

Solo

• Like Like x 3
  7. Don't forget to wear your BAS t-shirt!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Do you know of what type of insect? The products I've seen in the past have been mostly made from the mealworms business and is much more waste than exoskeleton to begin with.

J

• Like Like x 4
  9. Black Soldier Flies (BSF) is another popular source...

AD

• Like Like x 4
  10. #1010 AgnesDawgz, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    What advantage is there to high levels of phosphorus which in the stoner world usually means phosphoric acid?

I've always been curious where this comes from - probably Jorge Cervantes and his junior-high school science.

• Like Like x 7
  11. These days I pretty much go by the theory that if I wouldn't spend for a product to use on my vegetable garden that there's a damn good chance I don't need it in my cannabis garden.

J

• Like Like x 15
  12. My garden is pretty much all no till at this point, so I'm not really planning on making much soil anytime soon. Would these be good additives to my worm bins?

Solo

• Like Like x 2
  13. Most definitely! That's what I do - add it to my worm bins.

Not bragging but stating facts - I produce vermicompost in the upper 1% of the deal. And I do that without plate counts and other silly stuff. LOL!

HTH

• Like Like x 7
  14. What are some of the signs to look for when analyzing compost. I have spent the last 3 months collecting compost from all types of places on the north east. Some smell like cedar some are black black. Some seem like there is a lot of peat in it. Some seem very loamy

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. In your part of the world, I would use either/both Coast of Maine and Worm Power out of NY.

HTH

• Like Like x 12
  16. Do homework first, then ask questions. Lots of info has been relayed time and time again. ;)

• Like Like x 9
  17. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here lol...1/2 to 1 cup per cf?

Solo

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. From the University of Waikato, New Zealand is this helpful article on the how & why Neem products function.

Neem protects itself from the multitude of pests with a multitude of pesticidal ingredients. Its main chemical broadside is a mixture of 3 or 4 related compounds, and it backs these up with 20 or so others that are minor but nonetheless active in one way or another. In the main, these compounds belong to a general class of natural products called "triterpenes"; more specifically, "limonoids."

LIMONOIDS

So far, at least nine neem limonoids have demonstrated an ability to block insect growth, affecting a range of species that includes some of the most deadly pests of agriculture and human health. New limonoids are still being discovered in neem, but Azadirachtin, Salannin, Meliantriol and Nimbin are the best known and, for now at least, seem to be the most significant.

Azadirachtin

One of the first active ingredients isolated from neem, azadirachtin has proved to be the tree's main agent for battling insects. It appears to cause some 90 percent of the effect on most pests. It does not kill insects - at least not immediately. Instead it both repels and disrupts their growth and reproduction. Research over the past 20 years has shown that it is one of the most potent growth regulators and feeding deterrents ever assayed. It will repel or reduce the feeding of many species of pest insects as well as some nematodes. In fact, it is so potent that a mere trace of its presence prevents some insects from even touching plants.

Azadirachtin is structurally similar to insect hormones called "ecdysones," which control the process of metamorphosis as the insects pass from larva to pupa to adult. It affects the corpus cardiacum, an organ similar to the human pituitary, which controls the secretion of hormones. Metamorphosis requires the careful synchrony of many hormones and other physiological changes to be successful, and azadirachtin seems to be an "ecdysone blocker." It blocks the insect's production and release of these vital hormones. Insects then will not molt. This of course breaks their life cycle.

On average, neem kernels contain between 2 and 4 mg of Azadirachtin per gram of kernel. The highest figure so far reported - 9 mg per g - was measured in samples from Senegal.

Although thousand-year-old Sanskrit medical writings mention neem's usefulness, the tree's exciting potential for controlling insects has only recently become clear.

Neem's ability to repel insects was first reported in the scientific literature in 1928 and 1929. Two Indian scientists, R.N. Chopra and M.A. Husain, used a O.001-percent aqueous suspension of ground neem kernels to repel desert locusts. Not until 1962, however, was the real significance demonstrated. That year, in field tests in New Delhi, S. Pradhan ground up neem kernels in water and sprayed the resulting suspension over different crops. He found that, although locusts landed on the plants, they refused to eat anything, sometimes for up to 3 weeks after the treatment. Furthermore, he noted that neem kernels were even more potent than the conventional insecticides then available and that neem's repellency was as important as its toxicity. In neighboring insecticide-treated fields, for instance, the insects also died, but not before consuming the crops.

Neem's insect-growth-regulating (IGR) effects were independently observed in England and Kenya in 1972. In England, L.N.E. Ruscoe, at that time an employee of the ICI Company, tested Azadirachtin on insect pests such as cabbage white butterfly (Pieris brassicae) and cotton stainer bug (Dysdercus fasciatus) and noted IGR effects in each case. The Azadirachtin was provided by D. Morgan, a Keele University chemist who had been the first to isolate Azadirachtin. In Kenya that same year, K. Leuschner, a German graduate student working at the Coffee Research Station in Upper Kiambu, observed that a methanolic neemleaf extract controlled the coffee bug (Antestiopsis orbitalis bechuana) by growth-regulating effects. Most fifth-instar nymphs treated with the extract died during subsequent molts and the few that survived to adulthood had malformed wings and thoraxes.

Neem's fecundity-reducing effects were first recorded by R. Steets (another graduate student) and H. Schmutterer in Germany. Applying methanolic neem-kernel extract and Azadirachtin to the Mexican bean beetle (Epilachna varivestis) and the Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata) they found that females almost stopped laying eggs. Some females had been completely sterilized, and the effect was irreversible.

Meliantriol

Another feeding inhibitor, Meliantriol, is able, in extremely low concentrations, to cause insects to cease eating. The demonstration of its ability to prevent locusts chewing on crops was the first scientific proof for neem's traditional use for insect control on India's crops.

Salannin

Yet a third triterpenoid isolated from neem is Salannin. Studies indicate that this compound also powerfully inhibits feeding, but does not influence insect molts. The migratory locust, California red scale, striped cucumber beetle, houseflies, and the Japanese beetle have been strongly deterred in both laboratory and field tests.

Nimbin and Nimbidin

Two more neem components, Nimbin and Nimbidin, have been found to have antiviral activity. They affect potato virus X, vaccinia virus, and fowl pox virus. They could perhaps open a way to control these and other viral diseases of crops and livestock.

Nimbidin is the primary component of the bitter principles obtained when neem seeds are extracted with alcohol. It occurs in sizable quantities - about 2% of the kernel.

Others

Certain minor ingredients also work as antihormones. Research has shown that some of these minor neem chemicals even paralyze the "swallowing mechanism" and so prevent insects from eating. Examples of these newly found limonoids from neem include DeacetylAzadirachtinol. This ingredient, isolated from fresh fruits, appears to be as effective as Azadirachtin in assays against the tobacco budworm, but it has not yet been widely tested in field practice.

• Like Like x 28
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. I'd lean more to the 1 cup that you mentioned!

HTH

• Like Like x 2
  20. Are you saying phosphorus is not needed for flowering? Even miracle grow blooming fert is mainly phosphorus.
    I have had a "fluffy bud" problem, only about 30% of my buds end up solid, hard, nugs, the rest are light. I basicly used a organic "super soil" I found some where online. A set it and forget it, just add water. This year I will add the MBP and such as described here and on BrownGuy420 videos. Just wondering what went wrong I might be missing.
    Soil was 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, 4 bags of cheap top soil, 1 cup azimite, 1 cup Epsom salt, 1 cup lime, some worm castings, 1 cup green sand, per yd.
    Plants were in 1 yd raised beds, they get about 12 feet tall, look fantastic, just never bud up right.

• Like Like x 2