No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. My location is far from ideal for productive outdoor gardens but nevertheless I've been working the native untouched forest surrounding my home (granite bedrock often very close to surface) 100% no-till. There are some smartpots filled with the good stuff that produce well also.

I scatter seeds in early spring or in fall before snow and then mulch. I've also scattered compost and half finished compost from house waste, sprinklings of neem, kelp and MBP also.

I make sure some of everything goes to seed, most of which is left to do as the wind and birds please. Here is some carrot and cilantro sprouts that I am happy to see!
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 23
  2. If someone is spraying 400sf if plants with one gallon they are Not getting full coverage which is too and bottom and every leaf and stem.

A fully grown 20x20 area I'll be lucky to complete with 7-10 gallons and that's with the fogged nozzle on a Chapin sprayer.

• Like Like x 15
  3. Martin Crawford's Forest Garden is one of my favorite's

• Like Like x 17
  4. This thread moves fast, thanks everyone for your advice on my comfrey storage. Since there seems to be some talk on aeration I might have another question for yall. Down here in the south pumice isn't an option; I have wondered about the porosity and if expanded shale is a good alternative. Granted this is 1/3 of my soil mix I want to obviously choose the most optimal but the only place I can find pumice is at a bonsai supply store and it is outrageously priced. Thanks again guys!

• Like Like x 4

5. It moves fast, but not that fast.

Solo

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sorry bout that, I suppose I misused the word...that's both fair for the customer and worthwhile for the producer, which is what I failed to convey.

The definition of gimmick is "a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something".

Perhaps it wasn't the best (or even correct, lol) term to use, but I meant it in the way that it's a hell of "a method to sell something", not that it was inherently a trick or for publicity in any way. All one would have to do is advertise and it would likely sell itself...

• Like Like x 7
  7. @MountainOrganics Its been a while since the last time you post pics of your georgous Acapulco Gold, that strain is really an intrigue for me cause I lived in acapulco for many years and maybe I smoke it 2-3 times with the surfing community in late 90s early 00s and was amazing smoke, incredible high, really uplifting, but if you nowdays ask for it on the strees almost all dealers will tell you is a urban story and other will say that it is extintct. What is the story behind your AG?

• Like Like x 7
  8. I'm almost certain my opinion isn't a popular one but consider a whole-food plant-based diet. Just like you wouldn't give your plants things they aren't meant to digest, the human body's digestive tract is set up just like every other herbivorious specie on the planet. Other buzz words include veganism but I personally don't like this word because it's almost impossible to achieve in all aspects of life. But if you're looking for the ultimate health for your body, organic, whole-food plant-based is one you want to strive to achieve. 1459189364453.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  9. Yeah I'm what people would consider vegan, but you can't satisfy the militant vegans.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Yeah, I've known a few militants who would outright be rude about other people's life choices and I don't want to lump myself in with that group. Seems too faddy as well.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Hey blue, for the foliar if I'm using an aloe plant would i still just need 1/4 Tsp? And how do you recommend I process the plant? Some say fillet it and blend it but others say it's a plant so all the parts are good

Smokeandflys' organics

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks for bringing this up - I tend to overlook things from time to time LOL

No need to fillet, simply take the whole 'leaf' and cut it into 1"-2" pieces and fill up a measuring cup, so lets say you need 8 gallons to water your garden or whatever you'll want 2 cups of fresh aloe pieces (1/4 cup aloe per gallon of water). Put the aloe in a blender/bullet and puree with just enough water to get it going. If you water with a watering can or what have you then no need to strain it, if you water with a chapin like myself then pour it through a cheesecloth lined strainer OR I find it nifty to use those cloth sacks worms come in when you order them online (LMAO). Once strained all that's left is little bits of green.

voila done! Hope that made sense. :D

• Like Like x 15
  13. How many ounces of mbp for top dress?

• Like Like x 1
  14. The range of "ok to use" appears to be rather large but you can use this as a basis and adjust as needed to your container size.

1/4-1/2 cup per 20 gal container. 1-2 cups per 45gal.

in general 1/4 cup per plant, for example if you're in large beds.

I've basically mulched with MBP with only positive signs. as in 2 cups in a 5gal bucket.

• Like Like x 18
  15. Thanks, now I just gotta go get an aloe plant before Wednesday. You think I'll be able to just have a plant or should I order powder next week as well?

Smokeandflys' organics

• Like Like x 3
  16. It's good to have both on hand.

A friend on IG (@grapegrows) planted 12 aloe plants and the idea is that you harvest from one plant per month and then each aloe has a full 12 months to grow before taking from it again. It's proving to be more than enough!

• Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Id get a few plants and some aloe flake to get you through until plants are well established. thats my plan anyway. Hth

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mountainorganics im trying to locate organic/pesticide free alfalfa meal and kelp. Any suggestions? Was thinking of ordering from buildasoil ? I have access to down to earth products, will that be mofo approved? I can get local bales of alfalfa hay but it totally defeats the purpose if it has contaminates. The place is not sure if its organic or not.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Would greensand be effective for potassium silicate, and if so does it take awhile to break down for use with my soil? Or should I just go get some powder or spray,like protekt or something?

20. Can anyone recommend a site that has organic malted barley that has a high DP? BuildASoil malt is pretty expensive and shipping isn't free either.

• Like Like x 3