No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. I use soap nuts when building new soil and use aloe in my IPM's.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I agree with all of what you said Cthulhu23... use what is available, sustainable, effective, efficient, and does no harm right?
    I do like making lists of amendments and their uses, just in case I end up somewhere w/o access to my go-tos, and I also feel better when I have dual or multipurpose amendments and a certain degree of redundancy regarding nutrients etc in my soil or IPM.
    I believe that most of these sources are innocuous when used conservatively. I think it would come down to efficiency/cost/availability. Thanks for your take on it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Are you aware if soapnuts provide any other benefit than saponin content?

• Like Like x 4
  4. No, I am not PoiBoy79. A few of us looked for more information on the benefits of soap nuts "Sapindus Mukorossi " and all we could difinatively find was they contained high saponins. That was a few years ago, so I'll take another look.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I found a study noting licorice root extract as a biostimulant. It was used on salt stressed plants. That's of particular interest to me because my city water is about 50 or 52 ppm.
    Might be a good addition to soil drenches and foliars, especially for those of us with Na issues.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Licorice root is a part of OHN used in KNF. You might not want to fall down that KNF rabbit hole. I was down there for a while.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. No way man, I just view it as another tool to keep in mind. The extent of KNF for me is/was LAB.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Me too, so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 7
  9. Wild Soap berries will be showing up soon. The saponins is where ‘soap’ in the name came from. The froth up fast when beat with a whisk.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 6
  10. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_018280.pdf
    Gypsum and a lil runoff FTW.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. So someone suggested I get flood tray liners for my fabric bed, I’d have to order that online and wait longer to mix up my soil. Should I just use a pallet and call it a day?

• Like Like x 3
  12. @waktoo
    Thought you might find this interesting. Last year this smart pot had sunflowers in it, the growth was retarded, gnarled, etc. I posted a pic of it. Due to alkaline soil and it being stored out of the weather. After sitting outside for a year these sunflowers are growing well. This is consistent with the literature that bicarbonate can be leached.
    E4EF7D30-26A7-4200-9875-484005BC146A.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Depends on your situation. Some runoff is bound to happen. Concrete floor and there’s no need for it. Nice oak flooring and you certainly want something like a hydro tray.
    RD

• Like Like x 6
  14. Thoughts on air flow being decreased? Main reason i was going to use something. Was thinking about using 2x4s and plastic lining.

• Like Like x 3
  15. I’m a bit confused about what your trying to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I’ll take a picture for you guys when it’s finished. It’s essentially a flood tray that i’m building, just couldn’t order one online bc it would be in transit for a bit.

Sometimes I don’t explain things the best when i’m stoned.

• Like Like x 5
  17. If you’re trying to build your own I would use pond liner. It may condensate underneath. Don’t put it in direct contact with wood floors.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Any chance you tested the pH of that soil last year/now?

• Like Like x 4
  19. It would have been ~7.5 when I brought it home. Maybe I’ll grab a test kit and see where she’s at now out of curiosity. Here’s last years pic. It did throw flowers but I remember them being really small.
    E6257F67-8FC1-44DB-8D9E-B1CE129AFD43.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  20. Interesting. I would certainly appreciate it if you were to test it again. Some current chemical "data" would add a lot of relevance to the leaching hypothesis. You need to get a sample from deep in the soil column though, rather than off the top couple of inches. A sample from the middle of the pot should suffice.

I remember you posting pic's last year about this situation. What I don't recall is how closely the leaf morphology resembles that of plants growing in soil affected by persistent herbicide contamination...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1