No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. I use 3 in my 10-15 gallon bags and 2 in my 5-7 gallon bags.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Thanks for the responses guys, have been watering my 10g by hand but getting ready to be away from home for a week+ so have to get something setup.

So are you guys just using the regular blumats in the standard size?

I saw a setup where they are putting a maxi with the long spike and dripper right by the stem and then a tropf carrot with a drip ring attached surrounding the outside perimeter of the pot. Looked like a pretty sweet setup but not sure it's needed for the price.

Honestly I will probably go back to hand watering as soon as I'm home so I'd like to do it for as cheap as possible.

So do we think 2 of the standard size carrots would be enough for a 10g, or should I go with the xl size or the Tropf style ones that will drip? Just all very confusing.

Considered just using the spikes that a bottle screws to but not sure I would trust them with my babies.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Where do you score the orchid bark for that price? Have a ton of orchids and always looking for cheaper/better bark fines.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Anawalt Lumber Hollywood location. I was surprised too, never seen it that cheap. Could've been a one time deal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Two of the shorter carrots should be fine for a 10 gallon pot. Placement of those carrots is important. To close to the stem and the soil to the outside of your pot will go hydrophobic.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Me either man, snag that up while you can for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  7. That is my main concern, I read that the maxi are nice because they measure moisture further down in the pot, thus not cutting off water as early as the surface depth carrots. However at $25 for a 2 pack they seem a touch steep.

Also when we talk shorter carrots are we just talking the standard size or the xl ones?

Basically this is what inhave gathered so far in regards to these things.

Standard Blumats (carrots, reg or xl sizes)

Tropf Blumats (carrots, but with drip and connectivity for add ons)

Maxi (deep carrots for sensing moisture deeper in pot, also has dripper and connectivity)

I could be wrong on these but that's pretty much what I have gathered.

Probably just do 3 normal carrots per pot, 1 near stem and 2 towards edges. Just trying to decide reg size or xl.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I'm a bit confused with all the carrot sizes/names. I run 4 of the standard 5" carrots in my 20 gallon pots.You adjust the water flow. You can adjust them so your pot bottom is damp but not dripping. I run 4 of the 9" maxi carrots in my 30 gallon pot and adjust them the same way. My pot bottoms are damp to the touch but not dripping. I set mine up as the instructions recommended.
    Edit: These are the 5" blumats I use. The maxi-carrots are similar just a longer tube that connects to the base.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OK thanks Tim, so the tropf are the way to go. The standard ones don't drip at all and that was my concern. Anyway thanks everyone for the input. Get the tropf pack and call it good.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Be careful when top dressing. If you accidentally hit the adjusting knob on top they can run away on you and empty your reservoir. I just double check my drip rate after making top dressings.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Thanks good tip

• Like Like x 3
  12. So out of curiosity what is the point of the regular blumats that don't drip? Seems like they would not even be enough to keep a 5 gallon pot moist without the dripping action.

Anyone have any experience with the standard blumats?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Funktion - Blumat Classic

The water is drawn from any container through a thin tube and released directly through the clay cone onto the plant. The water discharge can be regulated by placing the water container higher or lower.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yeah read that and I understand how they work, I guess I just couldn't see them being very effective especially when we are talking 10g+ size pots. Maybe though somebody who has used them could tell me otherwise? They are definitely the cheapest option for the blumats

• Like Like x 3
  15. [​IMG]. Here’s my setup. Maxi near the center and a regular tropf with 5 drippers around the edge of the pot…I will reiterate TimJ and his cautions on top dressing. Definitely check your reservoir levels every hour or 2 after top dressing to make sure it’s not runnin on ya. I bought the 15g kit from sustainablevillage.com…give them a call and they can recommend a kit for ya. Very nice people and didn’t look to upsell me…in fact they made suggestions to do what i wanted for cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  16. Solid man, that looks pretty much like the other setup I saw. If you dont mind me asking, how much $$$ did that setup set you back?

• Like Like x 5
  17. Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone on here who has helped me with all my questions. I really think it's starting to pay off, this is my best looking round of ladies ever and I'm pretty excited to see what they are going to do.

:thankyou:

First four are all Barneys Farm, Shiskaberry/Peyote Critical/Vanilla Kush/Wedding Cake. Just got the cutback to 12/12 yesterday.

The other two are Ethos Candy Store they are currently on day 18 of 12/12.

Feel free to give me any feedback, always looking to improve.

20210613_211210.jpg 20210613_211157.jpg 20210613_211452.jpg 20210613_211526.jpg 20210613_211520.jpg 20210613_211602.jpg 20210613_211537.jpg 20210613_211543.jpg 20210613_211612.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. The kits for the 2 were under $30 per kit. Here’s a link that should be plenty for what you are looking for. https://www.sustainablevillage.com/blumat-15-gallon-fabric-pot-kit-economy …it’s $28 per kit. I also bought some extra tubing 3mm and 8mm and a reservoir since i didn’t have anything when i ordered. I highly recommend calling sustainable village. They will work with you to go over what you need and explain anything that you don’t understand and suggest other options to keep cost down etc.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  19. Has anyone tried different saponin sources? There's a lot! Started looking around because I'm experimenting with foliars and different amendments this year.
    I think we've all heard of:
    Aloe
    Yucca
    Soapnuts
    Quinoa
    Horse chestnut
    Soapwort
    Alfalfa (the do-it-all for cheap champion)
    - but how about:
    Oats
    Ginseng
    Fenugreek
    Quillaja bark
    Licorice root

I remember a post awhile back that listed the sources with the highest content. One that wasn't listed on the chart in the attached reference was soapnuts (I've seen from 5.7 - 30% saponins).
    From the link I attached it seems the highest % is from licorice root (22 - 32%), and from Iooking at the powder it seems reasonable priced. I currently use Mojave Gold yucca powdered extract (10% saponins) that I am very happy with, and has SA that stimulates SAR and regulates plant growth in plants. Dunno if any of the other sources besides aloe that contains SA.
    Has anyone tried any of these sources?

Reference:
    Saponin-Based, Biological-Active Surfactants from Plants

• Like Like x 3
  20. That post was an excellent read, PoiBoy, thanks for posting! I have only used aloe for its saponins as it's one that I can grow easily on my own (just in the window, to boot!). I do occasionally use alfalfa meal as a tea/foliar, but never intentionally for the saponins.

My worry/question with some of these other sources of saponins is what else am I adding apart from the saponins? For instance with alfalfa I would worry about adding triacontanol and too much N if used in excess. I don't know enough about the other options listed but gosh oats are pretty ubiquitous and fenugreek is also easy to come by. I'd just want to know mainly "if I add this to my routine, what are possible negative side effects?"

Aloe has always been my go-to since it's so damn gentle. Speaking of aloe, went swimming with my kids for a total of 6 hours this weekend and I'm sunburned all to hell. Time to get some aloe on me!!! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1