No-Till Gardening: Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MountainOrganics, Mar 25, 2016.

1. I’ve heard that traffic is brutal. If it gets any worse than Atlanta, I’m out. I like dirt roads and ditches. I went to school when younger but I’m content with being lazy and watching the world go by. I don’t know where it’s going but that makes it more interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  2. What the hell is wrong with computers this morning? I’m having a fit getting sites to load and posting here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. There's a bunch of stuff going on in the interweb world. Sites are down, password lists have been leaked, dogs and cats living together (oh wait...that's from Ghostbusters). I've been having issues all AM too.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. My local news station icon has disappeared from my screen, can’t get posts to post, my local police report won’t load either. I hope the dogs and cats are getting along better that computers are today.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I appreciate you guys more than you know. Never dealt with anxiety before, first time in my life i’m dealing with it at age 29. Makes everything more difficult, I see you guys showing me love and it’s very much appreciated.

Harvesting after work then mixing up my soil in my 4x4 bed, then hanging up my new HLG Scoprion R spec!!!

• Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 2

6. I have a 7 year old son also. Definitely throws a wrench in at times but wouldn't change it for the world.

If there's folks out there that are getting EVERYTHING done, cudos to you. Most people I talk to relate to the never ending projects lifestyle lol

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I’m in the “there’s always something needing attention” camp. I’m always open to improving things but a coffee break is nice sometimes.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Would putting a 4x4 bed on a pallet be beneficial? Also, I’ve seen some put rocks as a bottom layer.. does anyone else do this?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. I do.
    Less soil volume is much easier to maintain moisture levels in, and compaction is a non issue. :weed-4:

• Like Like x 6
  10. There’s a certain point where you might as well just use 20-30 gallon pots instead of a bed. 10” in a 4x4 is only 100 gallons. Only fill your bed 2/3 -3/4 of the way. If things go South you have plenty of room to work with.

I built my first indoor bed specifically due to height issues. It was 4x4 and 16” high. It required 5-10 gallons of water a week IIRC. It was an absolute joy to run. So easy to gather a wide array of mulching materials for it and always had my own VC to work with.
    RD

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 4
  11. what’s your guys opinion on perlite and notill? I’ve read a lot about it but genuinely curious about this. Since i can’t find pumice locally i’ll be using perlite/red lava rock.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Haha I ain't touching this one again

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. I know what you’re saying, I’ve never done true notill but since i’m using blumats especially i feel like perlite would be fine.... but not exactly sure after reading so many opinions.

• Like Like x 5
  14. If it were me and I was doing a *true* no-till (i.e., large bed), I would shell out for pumice. Not saying perlite won't work - it'll work just fine - but I've had it start to accumulate, or float, at the top of my medium.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Perlite is cheap, effective, and available. @Organic sinse and @wetdog turned me onto bark fines, which were previously unavailable to me, but now I have access to fine grade orchid bark for $12/3 CuFt.
    Now my go to is a 3:1 mix of perlite and these bark nugs. I prefer a lighter mix in my fabric pots, and this does the trick. I also like that the nuggets add more organic matter.
    I've found if your topdresses include ewc or compost, the floating perlite is pretty much a non issue.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. :thumbsup:

I've been experiencing problems sourcing pine bark fines, referring to them as "pine bark fines".

"Orchid bark" is where it's been hiding all this time. :blink:

Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. So thinking of making the move and setting up a blumat system for my girls. Upon looking there is a whole lot of different blumat stuff, hoping you guys can help fill me in on what I need.

I have a 4x 10g fabric pots in one tent and 2x in the other. What would I need per pot to set them up properly with the blumats?

• Like Like x 5
  18. Sorry I can’t help with your blumat question, I’m using them for the first time snd didn’t set it up yet. Mine should be set up tonight so i’ll let you know.

My question is, i forgot to grab a pallet at work.. wanted to put my 4x4 bed on it. Is it ok if it sits on the ground (basement concrete, floors aren’t cold.)

• Like Like x 3
  19. #21400 TimJ, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    I hand water my 10 gallons. But, have used blumats in my 20's and 30 gallon fabric pots. I'd suggest 2 regular carrots per 10 gallon pot for more even watering. Place them 1/2 way between your pots outer edge and your plants stem. Have your emitter line pointing in the center of that area as well. @ScOObyDOObie is our expert using blumats. Maybe he'll chime in one this.
    Edit: Not sure why it's changing what ScOObyDOObie this is being directed at?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1