No Pest Strips - Mites in Perpetual Flowering!?!?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Gardengineer, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Alright GC. I have 3 rooms, all seperate. One for clones/seedlings, one for vegging, one for flowering.

Here is the quick story, never had a problem, keep my rooms fairly tidy. A buddy of mine had an outdoor plant he brought inside, it happened to have mites on it, he then came over to my grow (I know, big no-no), and low-and-behold I now have mites.

I've been doing battle for a few months, I've showered my entire larger plants, I've used Floramite, garlic/soap/water, and Organocide.

The Floramite eliminated the problem in the clone and veg rooms, but a few of the bastards survived thru into flowering. Being a perpetual grow, I gradually introduce vegging plants into the flowering room, about 2 every other week. I keep a total of 12 plants in flowering at all times.

Now, I have read about the No Pest Strips working really well, my flowering room is 5' X 4' X 6', my veg room is 4' X 4' X 2', and finally my clone room is 2' X 2' X 4'. These 3 rooms are built into a room that is about 16' X 8' X 6' tall (including the grow box area).

Would say, 2 pest strips treat the entire room? I've heard of guys using one strip per plant (for larger plants), but I think that would be SUPER overkill in my flowering room, my 12 flowering plants are within the 3-4 ft range.

I need to eradicate these bastards, on the flowering plants I've read you can wash off the buds when harvested to rinse off the residue from the strips. Thanks for any help.

I also have Organocide, Avid, Azatrol, Floramite SC, and Forbid ready to use, but want to try to knock them out with a quick punch.

2. HIGH All, ahhhhh man The Borg......I feel for you Bro....they live everywhere, on your pots, trays, water bottles, your lights and the cord, walls...everywhere. If you have them Bad you have to get everywhere, wash walls. I'm not kidding The Borg is the hardest of them All to Kill.

I've never used the strips but I'd be putting them All around by now if I did. I know this wasn't much help just thought I'd Throw it in.

3. this is what I use.

10 oz water

1 table spoon 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

2 table spoons Dr Bronners organic oils soap

I have gotten complete eradication in my grow room using this. Just spray ever 3 days till mights stop moving. than use every week till harvest. I also sprayed with water before harvest to remove any residual water.:metal:

4. Thanks for the tips... might end up using the peroxide trick if needed.

Well, right now, I have 2 plants ready to harvest likely tomm. I will cut both of them, before I use the No Pest Strips, the next batch will be about 3-4 weeks until harvest. I have 4 of the strips right now, and am thinking of using them. I have heard from several people that the strips are absolutely the most effective for total elimination of mites, but they are a chemical pesticide and you don't want to use them with any plants that are within a couple weeks of harvest. Thats why I want to chop the 2 that are ready, and then hit the entire area with them with all of my ventilation off. These strips are supposed to last for several months, but from what I've read in the past 2-3 nights straight (lights off, vent. off and the room sealed) that it will eradicate the mites.

I'm going to re-read the package and see what the area coverage is listed and likely double what it says. Anyone else have any ideas? Like I said, I have Organocide, Floramite SC, Avid, Azatrol, Forbid, and these No-Pest Strips.

5. im on my first and have the same problem.
    my buddy had it to, and he used sand and it took care of the problem.
    im on my first day with the sand today. hopefully it works.

6. Sand? What the heck is sand going to do against spider mites?

7. HIGH All, I think maybe budalias8420 read your post wrong and thought maybe it was Thrips you had.

All I can say is good luck on eradicating The Borg Bro....some say it's easy...I don't find that they are "That" easy.

8. i'm here to tell ya. the mix i wrote above works. i tried all that other shit to and none got rid of them, some knocked em back a bit but that was it. dr bronners is the only thing that got rid of them. its been 4 months now and still no mites.:eek:

9. Where do you buy the Dr bonners? I have mites on 2 out of 8 of my plants and they are getting bad...

10. I get it at City Market (king supers, kroger) big grocery store. Blue and white label lots of writing on it. i mean lots of writing.