Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

No one went to jail for POSSESSING or drinking ALCOHOL during alcohol prohibition...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Vollont, Jul 23, 2012.

1. #1 Vollont, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
    So why should marijuana users get punished for POSSESSING marijuana? if theyre only possessing it and not selling it, theyre users not dealers! Its not fair. This disparity is fucked up cause during alcohol prohibition in the 1920s and 30s, it was perfectly legal to drink or possess alcohol. Only the sellers got punished for it. When theres laws against the POSSESSION of something, the police cannot distinguish between USERS and enjoy the product and DEALERS who make money off it illegally. So why havent any lawmakers fixed this so the users are left alone and only the dealers go to jail?

Either go back in time so during alcohol prohibition so anyone from the bootleggers who made millions to the common man who enjoyed a drink were all illegal across the board and all went to jail with mandatory minimums for simply possessing of alcohol and anyone enjoying or brewing a beer in their house gets raided, OR change the current marijuana laws so possession is legal the same as it was during alcohol prohibition. This disparity is pissing me off

What do you think of this and why?

2. The MJ laws don't make any sense. That's all I think about it.

3. Where did you hear that? It was an alcohol prohibition. Meaning it was prohibited to consume, sell, posses, manufacture. I don't think anyone was allowed to drink.

And we're not in a marijuana prohibition, it's straight up illegal under federal law. We were allowed to drink again in like 10 or 20 years, some shit.

4. #4 Vollont, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
    No, it was ONLY illegal to sell and manufacturer alcohol. Drinking and Possessing alcohol in any amount was perfectly legal. If you read the law, it says nothing against drinking or possessing alcohol. Alcohol itself was never really illegal.

5. [quote name='"Vollont"']So why should marijuana users get punished for POSSESSING marijuana? if theyre only possessing it and not selling it, theyre users not dealers! Its not fair. This disparity is fucked up cause during alcohol prohibition in the 1920s and 30s, it was perfectly legal to drink or possess alcohol. Only the sellers got punished for it. When theres laws against the POSSESSION of something, the police cannot distinguish between USERS and enjoy the product and DEALERS who make money off it illegally. So why havent any lawmakers fixed this so the users are left alone and only the dealers go to jail?

Either go back in time so during alcohol prohibition so anyone from the bootleggers who made millions to the common man who enjoyed a drink were all illegal across the board and all went to jail with mandatory minimums for simply possessing of alcohol and anyone enjoying or brewing a beer in their house gets raided, OR change the current marijuana laws so possession is legal the same as it was during alcohol prohibition. This disparity is pissing me off

What do you think of this and why?[/quote]

On top of that I've heard prohibition of alcohol raised crime and death by an insane amount.

6. it was only illegal to sell, manufacture and transport lol and it was federally illegal then too, it was part of the damn constitution lol 18th amendment.

7. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

it was only illegal to sell, manufacture and transport lol and it was federally illegal then too, it was part of the damn constitution lol 18th amendment.[/quote]

This is what wiki says:

The Eighteenth Amendment (Amendment XVIII) of the United States Constitution established prohibition in the United States. The separate Volstead Act set down methods of enforcing the Eighteenth Amendment, and defined which "intoxicating liquors" were prohibited, and which were excluded from prohibition (e.g., for medical and religious purposes).

So you were only allowed to drink for certain reasons. And everything else I read said the same thing.

But of course everyone did anyway, even the president apparently.

But it's not like it matters, that shit was almost a century ago..

8. It doesn't matter?

It shows us first hand how prohibition doesn't lead to eradication or even lesser use, and overall negatively affects the general public, users or not.

It shows how bad the government's fucking up with the current drug regulations. They failed before and they're currently failing at maintaining an effective drug policy, alcohol prohibition gives us the historical evidence we need to bring these issues to light.

9. [quote name='"Marijuana User"']

It doesn't matter?

It shows us first hand how prohibition doesn't lead to eradication or even lesser use, and overall negatively affects the general public, users or not.

It shows how bad the government's fucking up with the current drug regulations. They failed before and they're currently failing at maintaining an effective drug policy, alcohol prohibition gives us the historical evidence we need to bring these issues to light.[/quote]

I know what you mean. But they gave us back the alcohol and banned bud like right away.

That's historical evidence that the government gives 0 fucks about their mistakes on drug laws.

C'mon, swap something practically safe for something deadly? They have no idea what their doing, and everyone already knows that.

Don't get me wrong, man. I'm not tryin to fight or anything haha.

10. They know exactly what they are doing. They dont prohibit cannabis because they are ignorant to its uses, they prohibit it because it would blow a huge hole in their already established money making industries lol

11. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

They know exactly what they are doing. They dont prohibit cannabis because they are ignorant to its uses, they prohibit it because it would blow a huge hole in their already established money making industries lol[/quote]

Their already losing money off it. Well, tax payer money for all the non violent offenders they have put away. I just don't see why they don't legalize, tax it, and outlaw the seeds or make you have a license to grow like they did in the WWII hemp shortage. Know what I mean?

12. lol they arent losing shit, we are. Thats the point, to them if its legal THEY lose money, which is the issue.

This is what i call a "logic" situation, not logical, just "logic" in which someone tries to apply logic to something that isnt using logic.... and that never works haha

"i just dont get why they dont legalize it and tax it" well taxes arent their money.... so its not really money gained, taxes are spent back on the people, or war. They have personal bank accounts with billions of dollars, they dont honestly give a fuck what we want

13. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

lol they arent losing shit, we are. Thats the point, to them if its legal THEY lose money, which is the issue.

This is what i call a "logic" situation, not logical, just "logic" in which someone tries to apply logic to something that isnt using logic.... and that never works haha

"i just dont get why they dont legalize it and tax it" well taxes arent their money.... so its not really money gained, taxes are spent back on the people, or war. They have personal bank accounts with billions of dollars, they dont honestly give a fuck what we want[/quote]

Yes but, like you said, taxes are for wars, us, and whatever else we need as a country. I think it's a great idea to be honest. They get money to do what they need to do for the county and I pay 6 cents per dollar for a pack of doobers from the store (; haha

14. [quote name='"Xx420smokexX"']

Yes but, like you said, taxes are for wars, us, and whatever else we need as a country. I think it's a great idea to be honest. They get money to do what they need to do for the county and I pay 6 cents per dollar for a pack of doobers from the store (; haha[/quote]

I'm all for legalization, I'm saying the people in charge don't care because a) the taxes don't really do much for them and b) it loses them profits on their money making industries they already have in place lol... paper industry, pharmaceuticals.... and so on

15. they should've kept alcohol illegal and made marijuana legal :smoke:

16. the government learned from its mistakes.