No Need For Religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by weednotcrack, May 12, 2010.

1. I don't know how many times I've said this, but there are messages withing various religious texts that advocate violence or discrimination. I know there are a lot of positive messages too, but let's not pretend it's all sunshine and rainbows.

I can get behind a lot of what you wrote here, especially because I practice meditation myself. I guess it depends on if we are defining religion as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power(a personal God or gods) versus a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance (more like a lifestyle). It seems like an important distinction to make.

2. #22 Mr. Mojorising, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
    VardOn

Interesting if the Christians Crusades had never occurred the same amount of people would have died due to arbitrary arguments by atheists fighting over adultery or the theft of a loaf of bread.

And of course 911 would have occurred just because a few people thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if one flew a plane loaded with thousands of gallons of jet fuel into the twin towers just to see what would happen. It was just a interesting hobby similar to flying kites or collecting antiques.

Fantasy is great for children at play. However it is very dangerous for adults who disagree and possess weapons capable of destroying the world. And these disagrements are usually due to religions difference's or ignorant racism.

Both of which I am proud to proclaim I detest with a vengeance, which is restricted to words and debate. Violence is not part of my belief system.

3. You're absolutely kidding, right?

Phew, I knew it.

G'day! :wave:

4. All of that can be changed, but that is not likely. People are lazy.

Also, notice I did not say ignorant people, that problem can be alleviated with education. Unintelligent people you can not fix simply by giving them more knowledge. Things like critical thinking, rationality, and the decision making process... These are things that are not really readily changed. Some things still break down to genetics and one's heritage.

I don't agree with you about the excuses thing, either. Right now our own government does some pretty terrible things, evil if you ask me. Their excuses are completely valid in the eyes of the American public, or in the eyes of the majority, but that doesn't make their actions any less evil. It doesn't matter if it is in the name of God or not. People will take advantage of others. Period.

5. #25 Mr. Mojorising, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    Vard0n you could not be more wrong.

Yes it was a parody to some extent but also a serious response to the post quoted above.

A real Zen master believes in nothing. There is some debate on this matter, is Zen a religion I say no. There are many scholars who agree as nothing is needed to quite the mind and find answers but to sit there is no moral requirement, no judgement, all the answers are to be found with in. No external instruction is necessary. This can be accomplished alone, ones mind is the single requirement.

The vehicle is the mind and a empty mind has no agenda besides compassion and non judgement. It is a very difficult concept to grasp and requires years to understand this philosophy. I will not expound any further of how long I have been sitting in empty solitude.

There are no religions except in the delusion of the mind, There is simply nothing. I do not expect you to understand this it takes years of dedication to even begin the comprehension of this philosophy. It is not a religion!!!!!!
    I am a atheist who believes in nothing except compassion and non violence. Meditation is no more of a religion than exercising at the gym both have real benefits one is for the mind the other is for the body

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLrMVous0Ac"]Alan Watts - On Nothingness[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ImMtHrrKo"]YouTube- Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion[/ame]