Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

No luck with edibles or vape

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by BiggoTrav, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Hi all, this is my first post but I have used the site for information many times in the past. I have been using cannabis to treat a couple conditions for around five years now and have always wanted to be able to medicate without smoking.

I have tried edibles a total of probably thirty times. Each time I prepared it myself using recipes and how to’s online. I do not have access to dispensaries so this is currently my only option. I am willing to believe I made mistakes in the process many times, but I’m a pretty smart guy so I’d assume I’ve nailed it at least a few times. Each time I’ve shared the edibles with others they get absolutely annihilated but I get next to nothing. I once made a batch of cookies that my at-the-time wife ate half of one cookie and was overmedicated to an extreme an hour later. I ate a whole one and felt nothing. This was far from my first attempt and I was growing frustrated so I figured I was going to cut the crap and go all in. I ate the whole rest of the batch. About an hour in I started to feel a bit of a lift, similar to right after you take a big toke but before it actually kicks in. I smiled and thought, “Here we go!” Nothing. It never increased from that point and lasted for about ten minutes. I have played around with decarb temps and times, cook times, ingredients and everything else I could think to do.

I have also tried vaping many times with the same results. I have tried the dry herb pens, tabletop models, and have made three attempts at making e-juice and have never achieved anything more than a slight “teaser” high.

I have searched and searched on this and many other forums. Many people have expressed similar experiences but the only responses anyone ever offers are either “me too” or “you’re just using shitty/not enough weed” and that’s not even acknowledging the legions of know-it-alls just straight up calling bullshit.

Is this simply a case of me having unfortunate body chemistry? Is it a sign of an undetected ailment? What can I do differently? I am tired of smoking but giving up the one medication that rendered my entire medicine cabinet obsolete is not an option. The side effects alone of all the junk the VA used to give me were unacceptable, add the fact that they were much less effective and you can see why I would be unwilling to go back. For the record, the only ailment that I’ve heard was potentially associated with a lack of effect from edibles was a poor functioning liver but that does not seem to be the case as I get mine checked twice a year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Galaxy420, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    delta 9 thc converts to delta 11 hydroxy after your liver coverts it... maybe your liver is not converting the compounds efficiently.. here is a way to know for sure if you can get high on an edible... Eat a hearty meal and wait about 30 to 40 minutes after the meal to try an edible... what this does is get around first pass metabolism in the liver... when you ate the meal your liver went to work doing what it does... this occupies the liver for up to one hour after eating( usually 45 minutes)... so, eating your edible in that time span should allow the thc compounds to make it through first pass metabolism getting those compounds deeper into your system... as a side note- this is why sugary foods (dessert) can be more unhealthy... eating that sugary snack after a meal allows sugar deeper into your system because the liver does not filter it out as well... this can be to your advantage though when you want an edible high... too, use lecithin with your edible.. it adds a type of lipid fat that bounds to thc really well... if you want to go deeper in look into a liopsomal delivery that involves an ultra sonic cleaner to make the compounds bind even better before you ingest them

edit... getting them via inhalation, smoking-vaping etc puts the compounds into your bloodstream bypassing the liver... look into vaporizing... I use that way mostly to medicate and save the left over material from the vaporizer to make very potent edibles... you can actually experiment with this by vaporizing herb for a few minutes (it decarboxylates it) then use that semi vaped herb in an edible... just like some peanut better or something..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks Galaxy, the lecithin thing is something I thought was silly when I first heard of it so I never looked into it deeper. I found a small-batch cannacap recipe with it that I made last night. I used MCT oil from Onnit. The only lecithin I could find given the amount of effort I was willing to put in was in the form of gelcap supplements. I popped and squeezed them into a dish then measured with a syringe. I ended up only making five caps because I tasted the oil and it is delicious so I saved the bulk of it to cook into something. The smell is phenomenal, I think it is begging me to go into some peanut butter cookies. Maybe even with chocolate chips. I haven’t had a chance to take the caps yet, but I’ll keep you posted when I do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. @BiggoTrav
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Kats recipes are the strongest I've found
    Decarb any material you intend to eat first 240 F for 40 minutes
    5 grams hash
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat
    Done
    Makes 30 sized (0) caps or doses. Really strong ones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've yet to come up against someone they don't work on. :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. That recipe definitely sounds more potent than anything I’ve ever made. I don’t have regular access to hash though and by the time I’ve spent the money and effort getting ahold of it or making it myself, I would have a hard time rolling the dice and potentially letting it all go to waste. The thing is, I shouldn’t have to find something that would couchlock your average gentleman just to feel something. I think there must be something physiologically preventing THC uptake. I’m hoping maybe someone who has had similar issues and found a solution will find this thread and chime in.

I’ve thought of a few possibilities but I know neither how to test nor remedy them. First off, my liver. I specifically ask to have it checked as part of my regular physicals twice a year. I’m always told it is “normal” but what does that even mean in context? I know that it does it’s job and does it well enough that my body will survive without issue on my current diet. Now, just the fact they can tell me it is in good enough condition to sustain me doesn’t tell me anything about whether or not it processes a specific enzyme the same as another, “normal” person. Secondly is gut health. A person’s gut is a micro environment and no two people will have an identical makeup so I wonder if there is as specific something (or lack thereof) that keeps me from absorbing THC like most people would. I have recently started taking acidophilus and the last batch I made of e-juice seemed to have an effect on me when eaten. I can’t be too sure though because I never tried enough to be considered a dose, just tasted a few times throughout the process and licked the utensils afterwards, and I was also smoking periodically so the perceived effects may very well have been placebo. Taking the acidophilus and trying these caps with the lecithin in them should give me about the best chance for success. If not, I think it’s about time to stop wasting time/money/weed and just accept that smoking is my only option.

6. Any ideas for those of us that do not have access to hash?

7. First time I got high was with an edible. It kicked my ass.

Now though, a year later, I don't even feel them. We bought some cookies from my friend, 80mg of thc each. Two of my friends ate a whole one, I ate 2. They both vomited and had trouble walking within the first hour or 2. I had a very mild couch lock and fuzzy head, it was a high but not a better high than if I had just smoked the weed instead. I cut back a little, tried half of another cookie with a friends while drinking shots of rum and bourbon. She couldn't walk and passed out in an hour, I was awake and feeling just a little sluggish(probably the alcohol, I had 6 shots.)
    Last year, when I didn't smoke nearly as much and was still at the "a gram will last me 4-5 days" point, me and my buddy ate a brownie. My buddy was feeling good, I was feeling nothing. I thought I had fucked up because I smoked after eating it but now I'm not so sure.

I'm on a (kind of) t break right now because I have an infection in my mouth, and I'm broke. I was heavy smoking up to 2 weeks ago, after that tho I stopped buying so whatever smoke I've had hasn't been my own. Since 1 week ago, I decided it would be best to just not smoke in general til my mouth is healed, but you know how that goes easier-said-than-done. Still, my laying off the smoke+daily 1600mg of omega 3s should have my tolerance slowly but surely climbing down. For Halloween tonight my friend is making 50mg cake balls with infused icing as well, and I'm supposed to take my first dab. Im going to pick up some cake balls and try them probably this weekend or maybe even later, but if these don't do anything to me after laying of the smoke for a week or two I'm not sure what to say. I'm hoping it's just my tolerance and not a bodily function that for some reason didn't kick in the first time I had edibles.

8. I ate the caps last night and baked the remaining oil into a batch of pb cookies (from a mix). I don’t know if it was the lecithin or acidophilus that did it but it finally worked! I somehow got the dose exactly right too. I ended up eating about half the oil I made which started with 1.5g dried flower. I decarbed then put the material into a small Pyrex with the MCT and lecithin, placed the Pyrex into a crockpot, covered and cooked for 2 hours. When I made the cookies, I didn’t even strain, I wanted the flavor of the roasted bud and I enjoyed it greatly. For the record, I intentionally used a recipe I’d used before with no luck. The only differences were the addition of lecithin and the addition of acidophilus to my daily supplement regimen.

The result is pretty promising. I would definitely be able to find more elevation from the 1.5g if smoked but the duration would not match, or I could space out the tokes to last as long but intensity would be diminished. I am very excited about this. With a little more experimentation I should soon be able to limit smoking to when I just need a quick “pick-me-up”

I also tried a new decarb method that seems to have worked like a charm. I wondered if it could be done in my airfryer since I knew from past cooking experiments that it held a much more consistent temperature than my oven or toaster over. I sealed the ground material as well as I could into a foil pouch, placed that into the basket, put a Pyrex cup onto it to hold it down (it gets very windy in there), then set the temp to 250 (which actually runs at about 237) for 40 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. the lecithin is certainly of merit and adds that extra binding potential for the cannabis actives... I know what you mean about a long steady ride with an edible... my first edible we just ground up a huge amount of bud shake and made no pudge brownies... it was horrible going down as I left all the weed in and filtered nothing.. I ate two and was completely high for two days with roller coaster waves up and down up and down... I was so horny too OMG= aphrodisiac no doubt.. next day I had the biggest #2 bathroom experience in years and years... all that plant fiber I left in there completely cleaned me out- I felt like a new dude refreshed and clean...
    my next notable experience was when I made firecrackers the first time with my left over vaporized material ( abv = already been vaped)... I used 3.5 grams abv per firecracker and ate two of them @ 7 grams total!... Same thing- high for two days straight just not as rollercoaster like with the abv edible, it was more of a steady solid high with less waves.. I was just grinning ear to ear both days LOL..

Now I just make a small amount per serving... if its abv I just add it into as much healthy fat as possible( lecithin, olive oil, nut butters etc..) along with terpenes added and eat it... if it's fresh cannabis I grind it in a coffee grinder fine and decarb in the microwave for about 11 seconds each two times... this fluffs it and makes it sticky so should be decarbed...
    I also add per nut butter edible... a few drops black pepper essential oil, a small amount fresh ground black pepper ( beta-caryophyllene) , a few drops orange oil( d-limonene), a dash of raw honey and maybe a small amount of 85% dark chocolate...
    I see people constantly straining filtering etc with cloth and shirts etc.. I'm thinking, all that oil is sticking to the filters as wasted product- just use the weed in the edible and make sure its bound to fat as a carrier with a few extra terpenoids added for a directional boost
    thanks for the update too and glad you had a favorable response this last time around Peace

10. Now if I could just figure out why I have never gotten anything from vaping my life would be complete. With the vaping I am totally willing to believe I’ve been doing something wrong. I had a tabletop unit (I don’t remember brand or model) that I used every day for a few months and experimented with different temps and draw methods, never could get anything worthwhile out of it. I had a dry herb pen for a while too that was no help. It’s been probably a year and a half since I’ve tried vape and I’m considering buying another tabletop unit of some sort.

One interesting fact is that when I first started smoking as a teenager I didn’t get high probably the first thirty or forty times I smoked it. My friends used to be amazed at how much I could smoke while they were stuck in a stupor. I honestly believed that was all there was to marijuana; a lovely smell, an enjoyable smoke, and just a bit relaxing. I thought my friends were “acting drunk” to be cool, kind of like that old Adam Sandler album, “I’m sooo fucked up!” Then one day it was like a switch had flipped and I was getting stoned right along with the rest of them. I’ve often wondered if that switch could be flipped with the edibles and vape, so I’ve tried them persistently.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tried and true vaporizer that won’t break the bank? I’m no cheapskate, but I do live on a fixed income so the more inexpensive the better as long as I’m not buying some junk unit that will end up convincing me that vape is a myth or some shit.

11. #11 Galaxy420, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Your cannabinoid receptors needed to be filled before they would fire... what you need to focus on now is the correct omega fats consumed in your daily eating.. you need about a 6 to 1( 6 : 1) ratio omega 6 to omega 3 or even if you can all the way down to 3 : 1... the science is the EFAs omega fats turn into PUFAs that then become endocannabinoids! that's right, that is how you get high naturally is from those EFAs derived signalling metabolites... When you meditate and make your body buzz it shakes loose cellular lipid fat deposits and they turn into endocannabinoids! Vibration, it's how THC works too by activating a buzz thus cleaving off fatty acid precursors from your cellular membranes to then introduce an enzyme FAAH that breaks down the thc while forming a ligand receptor channel ( cb1. cb2) through the membrane and turning that cleaved phospholoipid into a PUFAs signalling metabolite that communicates intracellular messages to the extracellular space for your homeostasis and health
    PUFAs = poly unsaturated fatty acids
    EFAs- essential fatty acids
    cb1 cb2, cannabinoid receptor
    http://themodern.farm/studies/Omega-3 Deficiancy Abolish Endocannabinoid Function.pdf
    Arachidonic acid - Wikipedia
    Linoleic acid - Wikipedia
    without a doubt get the Fury2 vaporizer @ Healthyrips.com $150.00 with a glass WPA... nothing but positive reviews everywhere

edit- add in lots of cannabimimetics into your diet too, they spark receptor capacity and via entourage effect that dictates how thc/cbd and other monoterpenes signal and metabolize completely... for example, black pepper has the ability to stall thc in your metabolism Beta-caryophyllene is a dietary cannabinoid
    Beyond Cannabis: Plants and the Endocannabinoid System (PDF Download Available)

• Like Like x 1