Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

No Link Between Pot Smoking, Cancer

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Superjoint, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Wed Oct 19, 7:02 PM ET

WEDNESDAY, Oct. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Even though they're chemically similar, marijuana smoke is less likely than tobacco smoke to cause cancer, according to one expert review of the literature.

The review, by Dr. Robert Melamede of the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, noted that tobacco and marijuana smoke differ in a number of ways, particularly in the fact that marijuana smoke contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) , while tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Nicotine increases the cancer-promoting effects of smoke, while THC reduces those effects, he explained.

And even though THC and nicotine act on related cellular pathways, they bind to different receptors to activate these pathways, the review found. Cells in the lungs and respiratory passages are lined with nicotine receptors but these cells don't appear to have THC receptors. This may explain why smoking marijuana has so far not been linked with lung cancer, a major cause of death from cigarette smoking.

Research has also shown that marijuana kills cancer cells and reduces tumor growth. This is, in part, because marijuana reduces the formation of blood vessels that nourish tumors.

However, the review warned that the effects of marijuana are complex and sometimes contradictory. It also noted that many people use marijuana and tobacco together, and the two drugs may interact in complex ways.

While some governments are reluctant to approve marijuana for medicinal use, the review noted that there's increasing evidence that marijuana can improve the lives of patients with a broad range of health problems, including insomnia, AIDS, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease.

The review will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Harm Reduction.

More information

The American Academy of Family Physicians has more about marijuana.

2. thats good to know. now i can smoke with practically no worries...except cops.

3. thats brilliant news for me right there! that's been my biggest guilt trip over smoking so damned much.

4. thats great that they are publishing that..inform the masses hopefully :)

5. Marijuana is also the BEST dilator of the Air sacks in the lungs that supply the bloodstream with oxygen....that is why its a great anti asthmatic remedy...

Imagine that....smoking can help your asthma...yup....couldnt believe till I read multiple reports on the subject...

on that note.......breathe deep an enjoy..

6. yes ive read that to . for awhile in some countries marijuana was the only known cure for asthem.. ive heard a lot of fucked up things about tobbaco comparied to herb. its been also show that people that smoke herb and ciggerate they have a bigger live expectincy than just tobbaco and of course just herb smokers have the biggest expectency .. i wonder if its any differnt from a non pot smoker

7. great post, good article.

8. i knew that when i heard Bob Marley say it in "Legalize It". but yeah, my homie used to have severe asthma, as soon as he started smoking it started to go away. now its completly gone

9. Well in simple terms THC relaxes your muscles from airway to the muscle surrounding the lungs it also seems to have a 'degreasing' affect when inhaled

Nicotine on the other hand is a poison that constricts bloodvessles and all around is perfectly suited to clogging ones lungs with tar and gunk never letting up enough for you to clear it out completely

Stands to reason the item cleaning your lungs of filth would cause less cancer

10. first of all while it may be better than tobbaco I do not beleive for a second that smoking it does not casue cancer. Sure if you only go high eatting baked goods I would agree with you. But putting smoke in your lungs no matter what the content is cancer. You could smoke hey and would still get cancer if you did it everyday. Have you ever cleaned out a pipe or bong? Can you imagine how much resin is in your lungs?

11. Do you even understand how human lungs work? Or how cancer works?

12. yepperoo lol

Also if you do a bit of research you'll find thc has been shown to stop abnormal cell growth in lab rats :p

13. it also makes my fun part brave an hard.......Id put the morning wake an bake hardon up against "ginsu" any ol time.

LOL.....Seriously...in the mid thirties when the ENTIRE worlds communicating Medical community dubbed Marijuana as "The miracle drug of the Century"....they were doing their homework...

alas....it feel to being used as a tool for immigration control.......

I love my country.....tho its usually run by complete Morons....

14. Well said, man... except the whole boner reference... i dont get it.

15. LOL...weed not only keeps me cancer free....lol....its gives me a woodie...lol

16. I was going to ask you the same questions. And if you ask any real MD he/she will asure you that inhaling any kind of smoke long term causes lung cancer. Do you even know the amount of chemicals inside weed smoke? geez. I admire your wishful thinking but put the pipe down for a few mins.

17. LOL....

Im sorry Rasta man......looks like you've made a "friend"....I am sorry...

could be physics?..opposite things...or concuring actions...

sometimes science ....doesnt favor well..

18. [​IMG]

Am I the only one who sees the irony?

19. ever think that if you can't see the stupidity wave, it is because you are in it?

acht mein machein hast gotten ze phrugalhypnosis unt sublimifikattun!

weeeee. tao cheese. :) a future squeeze. woops, dis aint no poetry section. pee-nal correction, correction, coLLection section.

mek shun.