No idea what size/kind of speakers I need

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Respirator, Sep 26, 2014.

1. I've got a 1999 Dodge Durango and all of my speakers are blown and sound awful after 30 seconds of playing. 

I need:
    •  4 replacement speakers for the doors
    • A receiver with aux (no clue if only some are compatible with my old ass car?) 
    • Subs and whatever amps/wires I'd need.

So can anyone steer me in the write direction as to what sizes/varieties I'd have to stick to? I have a reasonable budget and the blown speakers and receiver are priority. 

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  3. Buy them at a shop that will fit them for free or at a small cost. Better than messing around with it especially if you do not know what to do.

4. Awesome. Thank you. But as I said theres quite a few sizes of subwoofers on every site I've seen as well and that site said nothing about that.  

5. #5 GobindU, Sep 26, 2014
    so i changed 4 speakers in my old ass civic, and put in a new deck (with aux), 2 12in subs and a 1500 watt amp.  I did it myself and i even put the wiring under the carpet and laid dynomat down for vibrations.  

The civic is a 91 and originally only had a tape player.  Connecting the new deck was little tricky but i managed to work it out.  I basically had to solder the old wires together with the new wires of the deck.  I then put the new deck into where the old deck was.  It pretty much fit but was a little loose, so i bent the metal brackets that hold the deck inward and that made the new deck fit in snug.  

With an SUV since their is more room for resonance you generally can get away with smaller subs (speakers have to be the same size as the originals so they will fit into the door properly, so make sure you measure their size).  I would probably go with 2 10 in subs or one 12 ( I would go with 2 10's as they will have better speed to keep up with the base track of fast songs).  

6. #6 DBV, Sep 26, 2014
    Normally, I'd recommend crutchfield.com, but sonic is alright too. On crutch field though, you can put in your vehicle to figure out what 4 speakers you need (usually depends on front/rear). Common sizes are 6.5" round up front and 6x9 in rear, but there's no guarantee that's exactly what your vehicle requires. Websites like those should be able to tell you though.

Amp and sub depends on what you want out of your sound quality, but basic necessities for amp wiring:

* Large power wire (I run 8 gauge I think for a smaller amp pushing 1 10" kicker comp VR, but again wire size depends on size of amp)
    * Large ground wire. Doesn't hurt to match the power wire size. This wire can be run anywhere that has a bolt attaching to chassis. Just be sure to file paint if needed so that wire makes direct contact to metal
    * a "remote" wire will need to be run from receiver to amp. Usually this wire is blue within your receivers wiring harness, but may be a different color... Instructions will usually say remote wire though. This wire tells your amp when to turn on basically..
    * RCA audio cables. Looks like the common red/white/yellow component cables you used to use on old video game consoles to plug in to TV, but only has red and white (audio, yellow was video). This cable gives your amp the sound being sent from your receiver in order to play the music through woofer.

Then you will need a little bit of speaker wire to wire from sub to amp. Usually you only need about a foot worth for this part, but depends where you mount amp.

Receiver depends on what space you have available within your dash, but a single din will usually fit any vehicle with the appropriate mounting kit (which crutch field likes to throw in for free if you put in your model while ordering).

Keep in mind also that sound systems can drain your battery/strain your alternator so be ready to upgrade those if needed. Again, just depends on your vehicles oem alternator output and/or current condition

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

• Sony makes some good affordable door speakers, a local audio shop will help with sizing  
    • There are tons head units out there that can fit your car (even though its a 99, I have a touchscreen in my 98 Toyota) again an audio shop will be able to help you with this
    • Subs and amps really depend on the type of music your into. For example if you like rock/heavy metal or dance/techno a pair of 10's would be perfect. While a 12" or 15" is going to be aimed towards rap/hip hop. A good range of wattage for an amp/sub combo would be 500 watt - 1500 watt for daily bumpin'.

7. Sony speakers are notoriously not used by anyone who knows whats up. Going to a comparable priced Kenwood, or Pioneer will net you a better product. Installs at any  audio place will never be free, however learning how to take off a door panel is useful, as there are only 2 wires to hook up. Same with pulling of a dash plate, in a 02 protege 5, removing the stock deck takes all of 10 mins if you are really lazy. Not to mention how many Youtube videos are out there now, very little guesswork needed.

DBV got the sub info in there.