No expenses spared, LED, Bubbleponics, but how far to space plants?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by SDubUBlack, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Setting up what I'm hoping will be quite the epic grow room. No expenses spared I want the best equipment and seeds money can buy. I also don't mind taking as much time as needed to tend to and train my plants for the best quality and yield possible. For lights im going with the Penetrator X series LED lights from Hydro Grow. They look insanely bright, very durable, and the X lens technology theyre using sounds like another breakthrough in LED technology. I've got some quality THC Snow seeds and some Bubblegum seeds but I'm probably switching over to at least 2 kinds of seeds from Barneys Farms as they've won quite a few Cups. For my hydro system I'll be using the new Bubbleponics Pro II system from Stealth Hydro. It uses a hub feed system with a pressure regulating irrigation distributor to ensure identical feeding conditions at each site. Win! The only concern I have is that each 6 gallon reservoir is supposed to hold 6 plants and obviously each individual plant would grow more with more space but seed and nutrient cost aside am I going to get more overall yield from using all 24 plant sites or maybe criss-crossing every other for 12? I don't mind spending hours to utilize a bit of low-stress-training but with the plants so close together are all the extra branches going to help make more sites for buds to grow or just get in the way? I'm thinking of using all 24, no training, to help them grow as tall as possible since that's where there's space that isn't being utilized; or doing every other like I said and doing some LST but not overdoing it. Some advice from some very experienced growers would be awesome. Thanks blades!

2. Hey bro! If you're sparing no expense, then I think it's wise to invest in a high end hydroponic system, not just some rubbermaid tubs that someone drilled out in their garage. In my opinion, 6 sites per tub is less than optimal for growing our plants, but it depends on how you grow... with that many sites crammed into a single tub, you can candlestick them, but it will be difficult to defoliate when they're stuck in the tubs, and roots all bound together.

I built, what I feel, is the ultimate DWC system, period. For the sake of saving a bit of cash, I built my own, but you can buy one pre-designed, you just have to assemble it.

Check out my signature for the build thread about my system. It's basically inspired by the Undercurrent brand DWC 4 site system. You'll need a water chiller, and a bad-ass air pump to compliment the system. I also recommend Sweetwater brand glass air stones, they're far superior to anything you'll get at the pet store.

Additionally, you'll get better quality and yield, from a 1000w HPS (or two 600w, depending on space) than using LED lights. I use LED lights, and they work well, but you get better quality and yield by using HID. Period.

If you're sparing no expense, don't forget climate controls (heat, air conditioning, humidity, CO2, and air circulation.) Each of these factors are critical to control.

Ultimately, the "best" system is the system that works best for you. My way may not be the best for you, but it works very well, for the least amount of effort. I'm fine with investing in a system that works flawlessly, allowing me to be somewhat lazy/forgetful, and it still does it's job.