Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ggmallow, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I have question about Nitrogen during flowering. During my searches I have read that during flowering it is natural for your plant to start to have a nitrogen deficiency and okay. How can I tell if it is the normal deficiency, or if I need to add some nitrogen? I will answer the basic questions now. Unfortunately I do not have pictures available at the moment.
    What type of medium? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Unknown(Was planted when received)
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Blueberry
    How old are the plants? About 2 weeks into flowering
    What type of lights and how many watts? I use 4 CFLs and they are 26watts
    How far from the lights? About 3 inches
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Last I feed it Jamacian bat guano that was 1-10-.2 and it was about 4 days ago
    What is the medium/runoff pH? Not quite sure
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Temps have never been excessively hot. I do not have exact numbers
    What size pots? 1 gallon
    Any bugs? Look real close. No bugs
    Any other pertinent info?

2. If your losing tons of fan leaves its a deficiency. Generally if it's just a nitrogen deficiency late in flower the leaves will completely turn yellow but won't fall off.

3. #3 ggmallow, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
    None have fallen off they just look like crap. I am only 2 weeks into flowering. Should I give it some more bat guano? I have a high in nitrogen bat guano as well as the other I mentioned above.
    First is the ugly t, 2nd is what it looks like currently concerning me of turning to the ugly, 3rd is just a general picture. Sorry for the quality its the best I could do. Can anyone look at the 3rd and tell me anything else health related? Thank you

Attached Files:

4. #4 ggmallow, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
    a few days have passed since I posted this and my plant has gotten worse. My smaller leaves are now turning yellow and shriveling up, but my larger ones have showed no change. I also have a slight curl in some of the leaves as well. Any ideas? I have added a slight bit of nitrogen and phosphorus yesterday morning anything else any one else can suggest would be appreciated. On a side note my buds white hairs are starting to slightly darken and the buds are kinda turning a bit blue as well it seems to thickening up more. Anyway thanks for the help

5. Hey man

Any chance of a better pic of the problem?

The first pic appears to be a dead leaf, which if it is still on the plant, won't be for long. The 2nd pic seems like a reasonably healthy leaf and the third pic, if that is your plant, looks fine and healthy. :)

A few other things it would help to know:

The temp is pretty important.

As is the soil.

And pH.

Has this problem only occured since you fed nutes?

How much are you watering?

6. Yes I know :( Unfortunately right now is a bad time, mom threw me out to live with her boyfriend so I was forced on to my own, so money is a little tight, then to top it off I recently just spent the money on my MH and HPS as well as fans and other materials to construct a proper box(which I am still lacking), so I cant buy a thermometer or a ph pin. As soon as I get paid I will be deffiantly investing in both.

As far as temp goes its pretty fairly cool I can keep my hand placed in front of the plants and bulbs and it does not feel hot and all of the air seems to be venting above like I planned with the ghetto box as I call it.

I wish I knew the soil unfortunately I will never know.

This problem occurred about 1 week and a half weeks (possibly a little longer)after I laid off the nutes a little bit.

I water about every 3 days or so depending on soil conditions.

I attempted to clip better pictures but I am working with a crappy camera.

First picture is the same leaf from above but different lighting and angle(kinda).
    Second is a few of the small leaves that I showed concern about in the last post.
    Third was accidental but you can see the curve in the leaves and the slightly yellow tips decent, so I decided to post it.
    Fourth is just an over head view of the plant so you can again see its health status.

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Hey bud she is aweful green which is great at this stage so if anything they have TOO MUCH FERTILIZER. But, WTF do I know; mine get brown way earlier so I don't know shit.

8. Hey man, I agree with Smkn, (well dur, look at his rep!;)) They don't look deficient in anything to me. overall the plant looks healthy enough, maybe a little over watered and a little stretched. Keep an eye on her man, but I really think she'll be fine. :)

GL!

9. I'm in agreement with this, based on colour and the clawing leaves.

The top of the plant looks great apart from that.

With 4x 26W CFL's and the 'ghetto' set-up in the pic, this could easily be a lighting issue, couldn't it?

If he's concentrating his few bulbs around the top (which sounds reasonable), then we're probably witnessing normal chlorosis and death of the leaves receiving insufficient light.

What?

What?

There's gotta be more to this than meets the eye....

*searches post histories*

Hmm. Perhaps not. No juicy gossip to be found. :(

Ooh! Here's some...

:eek:

See what she said there mate?

What a disgraceful display of rudeness to such a respected grower!

:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:D

*runs away*

10. *hyperventilating*

Shit man, did I say something bad? :(

*runs away - further* ;)

11. #11 ggmallow, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
    I am not positive that it is chlorosis because the lights believe it or not are pretty evenly distributed(but this is my first grow) and one the leaves that recieves alot of light(next to bulb) is the one above. Chlorosis yes is from lack of lighting sometimes but a lot of the time it is from nitrogen deficiency and or iron, causing the the lack of production of chlorophyll. But another thing would this effect single leaves, and is chlorophyll distributed by the plant through out or just gathered by the receptor(leafs) of light?

I am not saying this is the case because lack of those , or that your wrong reading the other related post. Many have said that it looks like over watering, today I think I will check my drainage, maybe it got a little clog or so.
    Thanks for the info.

Update: Just check drains seemed a little clog up, I loosened it up slightly(hope it didnt disturb anything else), lets see what happens, Ill lay off the water for a few days and the nutes.

12. LOL You crack me up rabiez.

13. I'm not positive either, I'm just floating an idea based on this pic:

[​IMG]

In which lighting appears...um...how shall I say this...less than optimum? :eek:

Agreed. However, I feel Mr.VTEC would have risked a diagnosis if he thought that was the case, or perhaps made some remark about needing to know your pH. It's not often that he draws a blank in this section.

Lack of light would, but a deficiency should have a more visible 'creeping' effect.

Erm? I may be misunderstanding this bit a little, so forgive any irrelevence.

AIUI Chlorphyll doesn't move. It's just the engine that converts light into energy the plant can use, via photosynthesis, and is static within the cells of the plant. Chlorophyll requires light and food to do its' job. Lack of either causes yellowing (chlorophyll production drops off) and eventual death (in a nutshell, of course).

Mmm. Wanna rephrase that question?

:confused: Eh?

:eek: Heaven forbid. :p I may well be though, which is why I only offered that diagnosis tentatively.

Hehe, best of luck with that. Lerrus know how it goes.

14. Sorry to bring this back from the dead. My plant has taken a turn for the worse and now that l I have finally obtained some money and bought a ph tester. The results make me believe this has been the problem the whole time. It tested out at 8.2 and now I have adjusted it and watered today and we will see how it turns out.