Nitrogen? See Pics Please Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Zondagh, May 28, 2013.

1. Hey guys.

I have 7 Ice plant indoors for scrog. Recently been replanted into 5 gallon square containers and placed them into a 3x3 gro box with a 400 MH lamp. Soil included mixture of perlite and building sand 15%, peat moss 20%, Compost 65% and some bone meal. The compost is mostly manure and worm castings. 

Since the replant all the plants are growing slow and remain rather small. The colour is very light but not yellow, with the bottom leaves yellowing. One of the plants is for some reason way bigger than the rest, and also show the biggest signs of nutrient problems. 

I have no idea what the nutrient value of the compost was when I got it, and I wont be surprised if it's very low. I am not sure how to filter the runoff to measure the EC, which should in theory give me an idea of the nutrient content of the soil. The pH is fine at 6.5-6.8 and the lamp is 40cm from the plants. The temperature is 26 degrees Celsius at the level of the plants and the humidity averages between 40 and 50 and sometimes drops below 40 but never below 30. I have ample ventilation and an oscillating fan inside of the box.

Have a look at the following pictures for a better idea

The first one is the plant that is bigger than the rest Larger plant.JPG . Yellowing is showing clearly on this lower leaf from the outside in and in between the veins. Also, you  can see some drying of the tips of the leaf. On the second Image from the top, same plant Larger Plant 2.JPG , you can see the top leaves are much darker but show yellowing from the inside out (??). The rest are the other plants, which are lighter in colour and generally smaller with little spaces between the branches. Also note the bottom leaf being almost completely yellow. The last pic is just to give you an idea of the grow box. 

Is this just plain Nitrogen Deficiency? I wont be surprised if the quality of the soil is low in nutrients. Is the drying leaf tips also Nitrogen deficiency? Or is this a sign of something else? Is my Humidity too low? I did read that the Ice strain prefers a higher temperature AND a higher humidity. Is this accurate? I can't seem to find much info on the strain as Ice is hard to google accurately. I am thinking of adding a weak solution of BioBizz Grow to the soil and see if that helps.

Any advice would be great thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sorry here are some smaller photos. 

Attached Files:

3. To help me understand more, please give me more info...

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    What strain?
    How old are the plants?
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    How far from the lights?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    What size pots?
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?

4. Soil included mixture of perlite and building sand 15%, peat moss 20%, Compost 65% and some bone meal. The compost is mostly manure and worm castings. It was obtained from a local producer and I wont be surprised if the quality of the compost is poor. The supplier could not tell me what the nurtient content is.

Indoor - see attached photos

Strain is ICE.

Plants are 3 weeks old

400W MH lamp - 40cm above plants

I water as my moisture indicator indicates, but generally once a week. I spray the top soil with a spray bottle to keep the top soil moist every now and then. I water with distilled water, ph of the water is 6.5 and the TDS (500) is 25. 

I havent fed it once, as I thought the manure and worm castings should be sufficient for the first period of time till at least flowering... i could have been wrong.

The run off pH is 6.67 and the soil pH is between 6.6 and 6.9 tested with a spear point soil ph meter.

Pots are 25 litre or 5 gallon square white polypropylene containers. 

No signs of bugs, checked everywhere, under the leaves, on the stems, everywhere.

Most of the info above is in the original post. Also see the attached photos. You can also get more in depth info on my other post here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1220269-need-advice-indoor-grow-box.html

5. Looks like you may be right, I'd give then a small amount of ferts and see if they improve.

6. You need some high N food

7. temperature? 40 cm seems a little close for those little girls

8. after a second look your setup looks fine. They probably just need noooooots

9. Im having temp and humidity problems. The temp averages between 25 and 28 and humidity averages between 40 and 50, sometimes even below 40 yikes. I think that birdwing reflector is really hot. The straing guide rates these plants prefer warmer climates but also higher humidity. As i understand it the humidity should be between 60 and 70 for indica strains during veg. Is my humidity a problem? I also added another oscilating fan and moved the lamp up which seemed to help. Anyway i fed it with a mixture of micro nutes and high nitrous npk formula to an ec value of .6 or TDS (500) of 320. Ill see if it improves.

10. Let us know how it´s going in a few days.

11. Well it turned out my soil is just of very poor quality. I followed the nute guidelines for soil and the plants remained light green. So i decided fuk dat and added a 1500 tds (x500) solution of BioGrow, Micronutes, and some hydrogen peroxide. The leaves are turning darker now and the plants are growing more rapidly. I did notice that the plants have irregular node lengths and the stalks remain a bit thin and weak, but apparently this is a common problem with the Ice strain.  So next week i will nute again, but with even a stronger solution. I am keeping an eye out for over nuting and so far no symptoms yet. Next time I will invest in good quality potting soil. I also contracted a whitefly infestation, which I successfully managed with fly strips and a spray solution of Pyriproxyfen (horrific stuff I tell you), Hydorgen Peroxide and water, which i sprayed on the underside of the canopy twice a week for three weeks. No signs of any returning populations.