Nitrogen & Phosphorus Deficiency + Slightly High PH - Tea/topdress remedy/proportions

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Foyle, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Read your post bro you said "soil recipe" no mention of compost pile. The bacteria use available nitrogen as energy when breaking down raw plant material in a compost pile. If this mix was used as a straight soil as you stated and not as a compost pile he would have alot of issues. Bannana peels and other fruit skins and potato skins are very hard to breakdown and take a lot more time to be available as a nutrient and act as great organic matter in thermal composting applications. But as a soil ammemdmemt they're hardly of use and are still pretty much intact by the end of an 8-9wk plant cycle. Trust me I've seen bannana peels in full effect inside my compost pile when I stir it even 3-4 months down the road.

Cooking a soil recipe and making compost are two very different things so you should be more specific on what advice you're trying to give.

2. Someone else brought up compost. I commented to it.

I have a compost pile that is not a part of this mix I am using.

I use it for outside garden stuff.

It is mostly leaves and grass with coffee grounds and random organic stuff from the kitchen - no banana peels in it for the last year or so if I had to make a guess.

As I mentioned earlier,

Soil Mix is:

1 cubic foot Easy Grow Professional Potting Soil
    1 cup Dolomite Lime
    1/2 gallon perlite
    1/2 gallon vermiculite
    1/4 cup kelp meal
    1 qt EWC
    1/4 cup chicken manure
    1 cup greensand
    1 cup alfalfa

That is what I have my plants in (indoors).

But it's all good - they still growing and putting out new growth - just slowly which I am guessing is a factor of the rh being on the low side (55-60) and because I was stupid because I had the soil in two of the three a little compacted (corrected) and possibly because 1 cup of dolomite lime per cubic foot of dirt is just a little on the high side, but workable - I making it work because the plants are still growing.

I do have a question about compost, though. If I were to pull some of the good stuff out of the bottom, deep into the pile and throw that into my mix - this is the mix in buckets still that's been cooking now for about five weeks and will be used for when I repot what I have growing now into larger pots - good idea? Bad idea?

Thinking it's winter and maybe the bug factor and bug egg factor wouldn't be huge?

Any experiences to this? Thanks!

3. banana peels + bio tone + finely chopped = done composting 1 month. do you really use all ur soil at once?

ive used it right when ive made it before too so u can try again next time, not really trying to give advice just an insight as to what works for me so maybe others can see if they like part of what im saying, obviously you arent one of those person, anyways have a nice day and good luck with your life.

4. #24 Gweneth22, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    i always find bugs on even plants left outside, never good to bring outdoor to indoor. but thats also why i love diatomaceuous because over time if used as an amendment all the bugs and their eggs will die because it acts like microscopic shards of glass safe for humans, im pretty sure i use it like lime til i get the consisteny i want airy but not clay

if u leave in plastic trashbags they should have a good compost

you might want to look into a biological activator like some endo and ecto mycorhizal :wave:

5. If you are sure your compost is "done", then by all means use it. It would be silly not to use it.

J

6. I'm sure the bottom part of it is "done" because it gets used in outside gardens to good effect. The thing is that during my first indoor experiment with somniferums I used some of it and while that grow was successful, I did find myself battling the buggies, which was a hassle. It's a typical pile - stuff get thrown on, it gets stirred up every now and then but mostly just left on its own to do its thing, so the bottom layers are the good stuff. Since I'm all about crafting a decent mix for a healthy grow, recycling, and not blowing money I'm tempted to use it but I'm hesitant for the bug factor. But it's winter right now so I know the bug factor is on the low end, but there's the assumption that bugs and their eggs are still there waiting for a nice warm environment - like under my lights - to prosper out of and I'd rather not deal with that indoors.

7. Incorporating neem meal and shellfish meal in your soil can do a lot to wreak havoc on pest populations in an indoor grow. Plus you get the nutritional value from them as well.

8. Since it is Winter I have discovered that various decent garden supply sources don't have much this time of year - this also holds doubly true for the big box stores.

I have located Neem Concentrate and Neem Oil Extract - useable? Follow the directions or cut in half or something else? Still looking for neem meal/cake. Hate buying shit online but sometimes do to avoid a long ass drive.

Thanks for the tip! :wave:

9. Neemresource.com direct from India is the best neem oil, cake and karanja oil,cake. All the other stuff isnt a pure neem oil product. I apologize for my seemingly pushy responces lately in this thread and others as well. Life's been takin a huge crap on me and positive thinking and reinforcment is tough for me to come by these days. Sorry for bein a negative minded ass clown.

10. Thanks for the good info!

NP - we all friends here. :smoking:

11. Give jerry the credit on that I'd still be using einstien oil at $420 bucks a gallon ha ha

12. I use oil and concentrates as foliar sprays. I wouldnt use them in my soil. Neem cake becomes systemic once cycled into the soil.