Nitrogen Or Mag Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Fuzzy_ass, May 27, 2013.

1. #1 Fuzzy_ass, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
    ok, so this has been happening for a minute. The very bottom leaves are yellow, although these pics might not show that. The top leaves are a light green and some leaves have only the tips yellow. the only leaves that are completley yellow are the first set of true jagged leaves. its in fox farm happy frog soil and I only JUST nuted yesterday for the first time to try and correct the problem. I water once every 2-3 days, depending on soil dryness, and the nutes i used were jack's classic 20-20-20. I plan to nute every other watering at 1/4 teaspoon to 1 gallon ratio. it says to nute every feeding at that strength, or 1/2 teaspoon to 1 gallon once a week. i figured it'd be better to go light at first. i have a 150w hps pretty close as well, but it passes the hand test. thanks in advance! also my temps are 75, humidity in the 45-50 range.  photo (1).JPG image (1).jpeg

2. What's your ph run off?

3. I'm glad you ask him that Medical. It's a great question.

4. #4 Jackson55, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
    I think it's a totally irrelevant question. How could ph run off matter with a plant that small in container that big. If you are using RO water you should add Calmag. I'm not familiar with those nutes but I when I used a one part fertilizer I had  poor results. I found I had to add a little more then it said which is the opposite of all the good three part nutes.
    I wouldn't waste my time on focusing on ph so much. there were no ph meters when the earth was created.

5. Considering his plant has a nute def. I'd say that's a relevant question. It could be a nute lock out, which would mean a quick flush with proper ph and restarting feeding with correct ph would put him right back on track. ;)

6. To whom it may concern:

You have a big mouth, a wide trap that overrides common decency, and demonstrates you a glittering gem of monumental ignorance. Anyone with one eye and half sense knows how important ph is to nutrient uptake and the lack thereof. You seem to favor consistently reverting to logical fallacies as your preferred style of argument, it only shows you have an immature philosophical method. We'll let the community decide this issue, less I get banned, cause let me say this, you don't want to get into a piss fight with a skunk, you'll lose every time. :mad: :devious:

7. Twice

8. To whom it may concern:

You have a big mouth, a wide trap that overrides common decency, and demonstrates you a glittering gem of monumental ignorance. Anyone with one eye and half sense knows how important ph is to nutrient uptake and the lack thereof. You seem to favor consistently reverting to logical fallacies as your preferred style of argument, it only shows you have an immature philosophical method. We'll let the community decide this issue, less I get banned, cause let me say this, you don't want to get into a piss fight with a skunk, you'll lose every time. :mad: :devious:

9. Hey guys, thanks, but I honestly don't have a ph tester, but it's tap water that's been boiled and let sit. I plan on getting a tester tomorrow, no worries. But do you think it's going to seriously hurt my plant? These are going to be Scrogged anyway. I was thinkin of giving a heavier dose of nutes tomorrow? Good or bad idea?

This is a quote from the General hydroponics website.

"Organic compounds will cause the pH to fluctuate regularly and there is no need to manually adjust as you will be driving yourself crazy and the plants will be doing just fine. For more information on pH, please click here."

People have been growing weed for years without ph meters.

11. Yea, they have. What was the quality of that final product? As good as it is today, I bet. (Or not)

12. So.... About my plant...lol

13. Lol sorry about that.

You said you were getting a ph tester, did you? If so, when you water it, collect the excess water and check the ph balance. You want it at around 6.5. If its not you want to flush with water ph'ed at 6.5 3x your pots volume. Then restart you're nute regimen at 50% with properly ph'ed water.

It will remove build ups in your soil and allow the plant to properly uptake nutes.

14. #14 Fuzzy_ass, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
    Awesome. I was going to get one today, but when I drove by the grow shop, there was a cop waiting outside, so I said fuck that! I think my ph is really fucking up this plant and others. This is a sprout of afghan kush, the leaves are curling up and the cotyledons are all yellow. The yellow came when I left her underwatered by accident twice. But now the jagged leaves are curling upward. It's in mg seed starter soil in a jiffy cup that I cut the bottom off of and transplanted into happy frog. What do u guys think? The lights are not too hot, my temps are 74 and RH of 45-55%. Is it curling from the happy frog soil? If so, how do I fix it? I watered it very heavy, and the leves now look dark green with yellow tips curling into a u shape. Overwatered or soil too hot, or what? Thanks guys! image-10.jpeg

15. The yellowed leaves, have their color come back to good color green & just the tips remain yellowed? If so, nitrogen has been put back into the plant, either by ph accidentally getting adjusted or recent feeding.

16. no, i'm talking about the sprout. I'll just have to wait a day to get a ph tester to know any more about the tall plant. I just posted a pic of the sprout i was talking about. Its leaves started to curl up just before the transplant. 

17. Forget the trouble maker and get us that run-off and we'll diagnosis your issue. If you can't get the meter get some strips and let's fix that girl, time is of the essence, the longer you wait the further deterioration you can expect... in 48 hrs it can go downhill fast.

18. I'm going to go get a meter now, but dude did have a point. In a pot this big, I don't get runoff. Should I water until I do?

19. I would say so. That's why you should start in a smaller pot and transplant. So if anything goes wrong you can quickly and easily flush and get things fixed.
    Just something to think about for your next grow

20. #20 Jackson55, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013

Finally some logical thinking. The ph on your roots will be whatever you water it with when its that small. 

As far as flushing to measure ph, it make no sense. I'm and engineer and have done "controlled" experiments all my life.

When they tell you to measure run off to know the accurate ph down to the decimal point, then you would have to have a formula that took into account, how big the pot is, how much water to put through it, and a very accurate meter.

The more water you run through it the more the run off is  going to be diluted by the fresh water. You could never get an accurate meaning full measurement from your process.

At least if your going to tell every beginner to flush and measure ph for every problem they have, then you should at least tell them not to do it untill it needs water. One of the number one beginner problems is over watering and your solution to everything is to water it.

You definitely need to flush regularly  when plants are being fed full nutes. Also if you think you may have given them too much nutes.