Nitrogen help needed

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SpiritMtFarms, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Organic beds in need of the nitrogen boost looking at applying feather meal to boost nitrogen. Test results are PH 6.8 ,P-high, K high, N-low. My basic test results hm kit, suggestions to boost nitrogen I wish to do so without affecting other nutrients. Attempting no till cultivation this year so hope there's a remedy that can be worked into the top of my beds. Thanks

2. Feather meal isn't suggested due to the high levels of arsenic found in it which could lead to potential issues especially if you're going to be smoking or ingesting the end product in any way. Try alfalfa, neem or kelp. Kelp and alfalfa can be found at any equestrian feed store (horses) in 50lb bags. Kelp isn't high in nitrogen but would be a very beneficial item to add to your soil mix.

3. Thanks for the heads up I'll look into your alternatives

Be well/SpiritMtFarms

4. topdress with high quality compost/worm castings or both!

happy 4/20! :apache:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chicken manure pellets, comfrey, neem cake will help raise nitrogen levels for starters.

Try and avoid the feather meal.

J

• Like Like x 2
  6. For a fairly quick shot of just N I use blood meal in a top dress. For something a bit slower and used in mixes, soybean meal gets the nod.

The blood meal is mainly used just for garlic, in March, for the spurt of growth that happens when temps get above freezing and seldom for anything else.

Not much experience with top dressing soy meal. It mainly gets blended with alfalfa meal (2 to 1, soy to alfalfa), and used making or reamending mixes.

Agree, pass on the feather meal.

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  7. Happy 420 thank you everyone for your great suggestions

Be well/SpiritMtFarms

8. Tossed 30 pounds alfalfa pellets into each raised bed 3 pounds of kelp meal. Beds are 1.25 cu yds ea. 250 gal there about. Mulch over soon and let it work. Any other suggestions? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes - you may want to avoid planting into the beds for a bit. Chances are that your beds are going to hit some pretty high temperatures over the next few days and weeks.

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. 3 wks before planting out should be done working by then. Thx again

11. Finally found the neem cake now for some mulch and will be ready to plant in a couple weeks. It's getting close.

Be well...

12. [​IMG] Took a bit of searching but I finally found the neem meal.

Be well...

13. Love the smell of the neem meal

Be well...

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it for my next purchase

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just dont make a tea with it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alfalfa meal my friend. Be easy tho, it puts off heat. It's a great change from blood meal. I use it in compost teas as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you're interested search "free sources of N for gardening" in google, you'll find some interesting stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. i
    if there's one thing i dont miss its the smell of neem tea :sick:

• Like Like x 1
  19. It's ok until it's sat festering in the summer sun for weeks at a time. I've had excellent results using a food grade 55 gal barrell and letting neem tea brew in the sun and just dumping it all over my vegetables.

God forbid you spill it on yourself though - an open sewer in July smells better...

J

• Like Like x 1