Nitrogen deff or toxicity or Nute burn? Please Help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by benjii123, Feb 3, 2016.

1. #1 benjii123, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    • What type of medium; soil or hydro? - Soil - with about 30% perlite to help with drainage.
    • What brand and type of soil? Brunnings Premium Potting Mix ( 5 Red ticks ).
    • Indoors or outdoors? indoor
    • What strain? bad seeds
    • How old are the plants? 10 - 15 days
    • What type of lights and how many watts? 180W LED 10 BAND Marsh-Hydro UFO
    • How far from the lights? 60 cm maybe a little more.. I had them closer ( 30cm ) but moving them away didn't seem to stop the discolouration.
    • What is your watering frequency and source of water? when dry to around 1 - 1.5 cm on the top of the soil. I use the water from the air, the fridge cooling panel ice's up when the compressor runs, a fan blows to melt the ice and flow into a container. ( free from all chemicals and ph'd from 6.3 to 6.8 )
    • What, how much and when was it fed? After not showing signs of improvement ( continuing to yellow and discolour because I read every where not to feed until 3 weeks or so ) I flushing with PH'd water until it read the same PH as the water going in, to see if this would sort it out, no luck. So I gave the two oldest ones 0.8ml/0.4L of Canna Terra Vega as the website says. ( also a little experiment to see if it helps the seedlings sprout quicker). also have given them all 2 feedings of Seasol seaweed extract 1:300 parts water.
    • NPK? Just what is in the soil.. I have Some Blood+Bone in a premix. but haven't used it.
    • What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? PH generally reads at what the water I put in was set at. Don't know the PPM or EC.
    • What are the temps and humidity in the room? set to 26 deg C fluctuates about 2 dogs or so, and hum is hard to control but I try to keep it about 60% atm. ( Still have 6 other seedlings just sprouting )
    • What size pots? Plastic cups - 6 - 7cm in diameter
    • Any bugs? Not that I can see used sticky pad to try catch Gnats if they were present but nothing was found.

Attached Files:

2. Transplant them.

3. #3 benjii123, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks for you reply Trichuk,

Im happy to translate them, Should I see an excess of roots if that was the cause of the yellowing leaves?

4. More than likely, that soil you're using is loaded with slow release fertilizer. It's pretty common for it to burn and stunt a young tender plant like that. Listen, always fill your container all the way up. I would repot into good formulated growing soil. Do not water until the container the plant is in is almost TOTALLY dry...and then only give properly pH'd tap water. You don't want to use filtered water since everything has been removed from it. There are actually micronutrients in tap water that the plants need and using filtered water will cause deficiencies. Tap water works just fine. Nothing in it that will harm your plants. They don't use evaporatable chlorine anymore and the stuff they replaced it with doesn't evaporate and there isn't enough of it in tap water to harm your plants. Good soil, pH'd water and proper watering technique ought to get you some healthy plants. Don't use cups that light can penetrate. Roots need total darkness to thrive and they are the most important part of your plant. Use Solo cups to start your seeds or clones in next time. They are lined and light can't penetrate.

5. Wow thanks The Widow White that was a gold nugget of info and after some research on the potting mix it does have a slow release fertiliser in the mix so I will reframe from this again, I was going off an article that said it had good results with this product. I can't really get around to many places atm and don't have an option of quality soil.. I have been reading for a solution, would going organic brand with the 5 black ticks be better and just add some perlite, blood+bone and use the terra VEGA and FLORES to give the plant what it needs. or will the soil/ plant need more nutes?