nitrogen def. but... not nitrogen def?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BlowinSmoke4lyfe, May 6, 2020.

1. Yo WTF is up all you beautiful souls!

Today, is day 25 of flippin the sun to its 12 hour cycle for my lovely ladies... and it starting to look like what i would describe (rather confidently) as a nitrogen deficiency. i would get pics but the lights are incredibly bright and my camera just cant do it justice...

these plants have absolutely EXPLODED over the last 3 weeks... they vegged for about a month in 5 gal. buckets under 400 watt MH lights before going into the flower tent. but now, holy piss... the entire 4x8 canopy is packed corner to corner!! by now they are well through the 2nd net and have pretty well peaked on height and it always seems like they are just BEGGING for more!

so the root issue i face is this... this run is in promix (ff ocean forest) and using the ff trio for feed. every other water is either a feed or a rinse. and it usually doesnt take more than 2 days to need one or the other. now that they are starting to bulk up, the fan leaves are starting to yellow in areas just like a nitrogen deficiency. but every time i feed, my e.c. is roughly 2.0-2.5 (water comes out at .5 i know thats kind of high but dont have the water pressure for the r.o. system to work properly.) the fox farm feeding schedule says to e.c. it anywhere from 2.0-2.5 so thats typically what i run. what the hell am i doing wrong??? also, ph anywhere from 6.3-6.5. i try to switch it up each time.

more about the set up that may help. all 4 plants are under 2 1000watt hps, the temps fluctuate between 77-82 when the lights on and only slightly cooler when they are off, humidity is controlled so its very rarely ever over 50%, TONS of air comming in and out of the tent. plants are pruned well and otherwise look absolutely stunning! no other deficiencies and honestly they look breathtaking. im sure il get some pics to show off here soon.

You guys are always so awesome and helpful... and as always, all the help and input is greatly appreciated!!

2. Why do you think it is not nitrogen defiency? It can also happen, when a plant gets too much of some other nutrient and is unable to use the nitrogen. Anyway, many times the reason is actually overfeeding and can be solved by flushing.

3. OP - you need to post several pictures under natural lighting or all you will ever get is guesswork.

j

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. well, to be honest i dont have enough skin in the game to be for certain what it is or isnt... however, everything im looking at online that looks similar is either a nitrogen def or underfeeding... and considering the E.C. is so high, i have a hard time believing its because of underfeeding... then again, i only feed every other water. If it was fed last watering, i rinse only next. usually only takes 2 MAYBE 3 days to need watered again so some weeks i guess it only gets fed once and other weeks twice?

is it really that unsafe to feed more than once at a time without rinsing in pro mix?

5. Need photos mate. Also, while your at it.
    Run some of your usual nutes through the pot and collect the first 100ml or so of run off.
    Tell us the ph and ppm numbers going in and what the run off is.
    Itll tell us whats going on in the pot and grass you in if youre not watering properly.

6. Ok so, heres the best i can do for now. The darker leaf is what i would consider a good color. The other leaf is whats starting to happen in a few areas around the plants. Thats the only pic in natural light. But the next pic gives a really good look at it even under the lights. And because why the hell not, heres a few more of the set up! IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Natural lighting dude - the HPS pics are kinda useless.

Just take a picture or several under any kind of lighting besides the HPS. Bring a big flourescent or a shop light in there.

j

8. Ok so HOLY shit. I checked the run off...
    E.c. Going in was 2.3. Ph 6.4
    E.c. Comming out 3.6 ph 6.2

How in the hell?? I guess that means im feeding too much?

Also, i may have botched it this time actually... i didnt rinse before i fed this time. So they all just got straight feed... whoops

9. Bollocks. Deleted. Thought you were in promix for some reason mate. No idea where i got that from. Bit stoned and its early lol. Please ignore everything in that text if you read it. Im not a soil grower so cant help. My methods will kill your plants lol.

10. Flushing means you really flush, not just normal watering. In case the problem is accumulated nute crystals around the roots, you need to flush them away with lots of water. Then continue feeding, in most cases the plants will be ok in a few days, the new growth is the place you need to check, old leaves will not get better..

11. I know i know. Its the best i can do for the time being. Il get you some soon! I appreciate the swift response btw!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ok i was a bit concerned there for a bit because i never heard of someone checking the run off on pro mix... lol but its funny because this wave is actually the only wave il have in promix. From here on out its coco and gen hydro trio with cal mag! Already have drainage set up and looking into automating it more for me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cocos the way forward mate. Piece of piss. Even easier when its automated. Just fill a bucket. Chuck a couple drops of ph down once a week. Done. Thats what i use. Coco or nft.

14. Maybe it’s this lighting but I can’t see a problem. I would be happy with the green on the left, on the right maybe too dark like too much N (it even has the Burt tips to accompany it)..

15. The lighting definitely doesnt do it justice... i was always told you want a dark green color to be healthy. But sometimes my sources arnt always right. Hopefully this weekend i can get some natural light in the tent for you guys to see better.
    Also, the tips arnt really burnt at all. I know it kinda looks like it in the pic but in person you cant find any burnt tips. I looked for them too!

16. The only reason these are even in pro mix is because we germed 10 seeds. 8 made it. We kept the best 2 for moms, 2ot rid of the weekest 2, and veged the other 4 for a month or so before they went in the tent. All the clones and waves comming behind this wave will all be 70/30 coco/perlite

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ok so again, i know this isnt natural light... but what i did is cover the light with a piece of cardboard and the camera flash was able to take over. You can see the yellow reflection on the r/h side of the tent and a much more blue reflection on the left. Now thankfully, these pics make it look MUCH healthier. But still, you can see they are yellowing. Does this help any of you seasoned cultivators out at all? This is day 27 from flip. Roughly 5 weeks to go!!!

Also, i will have 100% natural light this weekend when im off and i have an extra hand.

Attached Files:

18. Did you up your nutrients as you went into 12/12? They use a lot of N/Mag during the stretch.
    I used FF trio on my first grow only. I think I ran like half does and everything was fine untill a few weeks into 12/12 were they all started yellowing.
    You have a ton of light too so you nutrients needs will be on the high end. What are you feeding compared to what is recommended? Are you at max?

Just from the pics my guess would be you kept the same strength pre flowered Into flower and they needed more :/
    5 weeks is very optimistic.

19. So, im actually following the ff feeding chart to a t. When i mix the ec is usually at LEAST 2.5 which is the max recommended on the ff chart. Sometimes i dilute a little bit to get it to around 2.2

So if your theory is correct, (and i honestly agree) then would cal mag help at all? I have some of that.

Lastly, when i ordered these seeds (northern lights) i bought it because it boast a quick flower time. Roughly 8 weeks. Im not sure if that counts the first week tho (before the flowers actually start producing)

20. Ok so... i stand corrected. This is the chart im using. But it says during the stretch to use up to 3.0. Is that not like... incredibly high tho?

Im comparing that number to a coco grow. Iv seen massive coco grows and they usually dont use much over 2.1-2.3 max for their e.c...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum View attachment 2791816