Nirvana Snow White and Highgrade Seeds Avalanche

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by J Dubb, Dec 14, 2010.

1. This is my first grow log and it will focus mainly on two things...
    1) How well does Cutting Edge Solutions work (DWC hydro) and...
    2) How good is the Snow White (new to me).
    I have grown Avalnache (AV) in the past with much success, so this strain will allow me to judge the nutrients more fairly. This is my first grow log on this froum, but I have done other grows using GH three part, Advanced Nutrients Sensi series, and now I'm using CES. So far, I like CES the best, but I'm having problems dialing in the formula. Hopefully this will be corrected by the end of the log. I started 5 Snow White (SW) seeds (numbered 1-5). SW #1, #2, #3, and #5 are all females leaving SW #4 as the only male.

The first three pictures are the SW #5 (5th week of flowering). The third one is the AV (wk 1). The last two are NlxAk47 harvest pictures (I didn't get a lot :(, but the quality is good). I will try to update every week.

Attached Files:

2. bro the snow white from nirvana is the shiiiit u will enjoy her for suuuuure!!! lookin good keep it up!!!

3. Update... I haven't bought a ph drip kit, but I plan to do so. Until then, I'll continue to feed the plants less than I was which seems to be working in my favor (recipe at the end). I did manage to buy another 400w hps grow light which means no more CFLs (at least not for now). The SW #5 was given a good flush to make sure the burning would stop. Everything else seems to be doing fine, especially in the veg room.

Pictures...
    1) The first two pictures show the flowering roomsetup.
    2) The next three are of the Snow White #5 on day 39.
    3) The Two after that are of the SW #3 (day 17).
    4) After that there are two pictures of the Avalanche (AV) clone at day 10 and the last picture shows another SW #3 at day 8.

Bloom (ml/gal): 3 micro, 9 bloom, 3 mag, 3 uncle, 3 plant.
    I usually put 2 gallons in each bucket and I'll post pictures of the nutrients so that the feeding chart makes more sense.

Attached Files:

4. Thank you. :wave:

5. im thinking about using the cutting edge nutes as well, do you have any advice or comments about it?

6. So far I like their nutrients a lot. My first grows were with GH three part which was ok. I switched to Advanced Nutrients and I liked the results quite a bit. Really the only thing that I didn't like was their prices (I couldn't afford any additives). With the CES line, it's cheap enough that I can get all of their products. The nutrients themselves are great. The veg formula that I've come up with is perfect... there isn't ANY burning on my plants and their growth is fast, health, and green. I've been having problems in the bloom department, but I think that I've almost got it down. My only advice is to not follow the mixing chart on their webpage. It is to strong and it will burn your plants. I will post my veg formula at the end.

I cut the SW #3 plants down because they were also flowering slowly like my SW #1 plant. Does this strain start off slow or is it just me? It could be a case of genetic variation (the bad kind) but I'm just not sure. It very well could be a ph issue also, but the avalance plant seems to be doing fine and the NLxAk47 did ok as well dispite my numerous mistakes. I know that a lot of people have grown this strain, so if you are watching this thread please tell me how your experience was... it will help me and I think it's clear that I need help. In place of the SW #3 plants I started a short NLXak47 plant and the SW #2. I have also ordered a ph kit by a company called Sera. I have read on the on various sites that they make the most reliable drop test kits(even better than ones made for plants). Now for the pictures (took four days ago, sorry for the delay):
    Pictures 1-3 are the AV shots. It was streatching a lot so I had to tie her down.
    Pictures 4 is the SW #2 and the NLxAk47.
    Picture 5-8 are SW #5
    The last picture is my veg room.

Veg formula (ml/gal): 5 micro, 5 bloom, 10 grow, 2 mag, 5 uncle, 5 plant
    (I've been mixing at half strength and the plants still love it)

Attached Files:

7. I don't have any batteries for my camera so no pictures(sorry). The SW #5 has dried and weighed out to 64 grams, and that's not including what I cut of earlier(somewhere between 7-10 grams). I went out of town and my SW #2 drank so much water that she dried herself out. The damage was too severe to save the plant so I trashed her and started another SW #5 since it worked out nicely the first time and I have an extra clone.

The smoke from the harvested snow white is a little disappointing. The buzz is good, but the flavor is terrible. A cure may help some, but at the time this does not taste good. Maybe it has something to do with they way she was grown, but I'm hoping that the next batch turns out better. The potency is there... the flavor is not.

One more update... a friend of mine form another forum gave me this feeding schedule that I'm going to use on my next grow. I'm going to finish with the feeding chart that I've made now that I have ph testing materials. After testing my formula one more time I will switch to this:

veg 2-3wks -- lights 18/6 -- All Measurements in mL/Gal - pH 5.8 Hydro – pH 6.2 Soil

Cutting Edge micro 6-0-0 ----------5ml
    CES grow 2.5-1.5-6 -------- 7ml
    CES bloom 0-6-5 ---------- 4ml
    GH diamond nectar 0-1-1 ----- 4ml
    Botanicare cal-mag+ 2-0-0 ------ 4ml
    VitaMax Plus --------------- 4ml
    Gro-Tek Silicate 0-0-3.8 ---- 2ml

CES micro 6-0-0 -------------- 5ml
    CES bloom 0-6-5 ------------- 5ml
    CES grow 2.5-1.5-6 ------- 3ml
    GH diamond nec 0-1-1 ------- 4ml
    Botanicare cal-mag+ 2-0-0 ----- 4ml
    Botanicare sweet ---------- 6ml
    Gro-Tek Silicate 0-0-3.8 -------- 2ml

CES micro 6-0-0 ---------------- 4ml
    CES bloom --------------------- 8ml
    Cal-Mag -------------------- 4ml
    Sweet -------------------- 8ml
    Carbo Load every other feeding - Label Rates
    Bloombastic every other feeding – Label Rates
    Gro-Tek Silicate --------------- 2ml

Final week just use water

This is a very efficient formula. Low PPM but very effective in all scenarios. Soil or Hydro. Best for COCO

I don't like that not everything is organic, but if it works I may use this in the future.

8. Would you use any other additives or just whats mentinoed?

9. #9 J Dubb, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
    I would probably use an organic source for most of the additives in this formula. The GH Diamond Nectar is cool, but the CalMag, and the other additives that are not organic based are not the best in my opinion. GH makes a CaMa+ that is organic, and CES makes their version of the Botanicare "Sweet" that is organic as well. So, no I would not use this feeding chart as it is, even though I’m sure that it works well. I'm just trying to get closer to organic methods of cultivating without losing the control of my hydro setup.

10. I finally have picture updates!!! Sorry again for the delay (life gets busy sometimes). On to the pics:
    1 & 2 are veg room shots.
    3 is my flowering room.
    4 is NlxAk47(Joey Weed) about 3 weeks old.
    5 is a mystery strain that is about 2 weeks old.
    6 & 7 are shots of the Avalanche which is 6 weeks old.
    The last picture is the SW #5 in her first week of flowering.

The next post will have pictures of what is left of the harvested Snow White.

Attached Files:

11. I have pictures of the harvested snow white. It never tasted any beter even after curing. I started another plant and it is starting to not look so good. I seem to be having the worst time with this strain but everything else seems to be doing fine. I also included some pictures of the NLxAk47(the Avalanche is also looking good). Sorry about the bad pictures...my camera is not that good.

Attached Files:

12. #12 J Dubb, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    This is another update: The Avalanche plant will be cut down soon. It's a little early, but I need the smoke. It looks a smells great and I can't wait for her to finish drying. The NlxAk47 is also looking impressive. My Kali Mist clone is taking off nicely and the SW #5 also has a good start.

One thing that I have noticed is that these nutrients keep dropping my ph quite a bit. I ph my water up to 6.5 prior to adding nutrients and that seems to help a lot. Anything lower than that can sometimes leave salts at the bottom of the bucket that I can actually see as I change buckets... at least that's what I think it is. Well... here’s some pictures:

#1-group shot
    #2-3/ SW#5
    #4-7/ NLxAK47

Attached Files:

13. Just a few more pictures...
    The first two are Kali Mist. The rest are shots of the Avalanche prior to being cut down. I should have a final weight in about a week.

Attached Files:

14. #14 J Dubb, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
    My harvest has dried and weighed out to 57 grams. I was smoking off of the plant so there was even more than that(about 14-20 grams). I'm happy with the harvest size and the quality. The taste and smell is similar to mens cologn... in a good way. The high is great also... good stuff.

Attached Files:

15. I have another update: I have some better pictures of the harvested Avalanche plant which is smoking really nicely. You may or may not be able to see this in the photos, but some of the bud started to turn a little purple towards the end of the bloom cycle (cold temp). There are also some pictures of the NlxAk47 plant (getting ready to flush soon) and the Kali Mist.

Attached Files: