Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit - Greatest song of last 25 years

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by sensimil, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Nirvana tune named modern classic
    Rock band Nirvana's seminal tune Smells Like Teen Spirit has been named the greatest song of the past 25 years by music channel VH1.
    The song, which was the anthem of the 1990s grunge era, beat tracks by Michael Jackson, Guns 'n' Roses, Eminem and U2 to the top of the list.

Nirvana are credited with being one of the most popular and important rock bands of recent years, and have influenced a generation of rock stars.

Michael Jackson's Billie Jean was ranked second in the list of 100 songs, which will be counted down on the channel from Monday.

Watch a clip of Nirvana perform Smells Like Teen Spirit on Top of the Pops
    In third were another rock band, Guns 'n' Roses, with their 1988 hit Sweet Child O' Mine, followed by Eminem's Lose Yourself.

Guns 'n' Roses bassist Duff McKagan, who contributed to the show, said Smells Like Teen Spirit was "a breakthrough for a great scene".

TOP FIVE SONGS OF THE LAST 25 YEARS
    1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    3. Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
    4. Eminem - Lose Yourself
    5. U2 - One
    Source: VH1

"It was kind of another victory, I think, for a misunderstood music, you know. The dam broke when Teen Spirit came out," he said.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit reached number 6 in the US and seven in the UK when it was released in 1991.

But it established them as one of the world's biggest bands until lead singer Kurt Cobain committed suicide in 1994.

One of U2's hits, 1992's One, was the Irish group's highest-placed song at number five, with Run-DMC at six with Walk This Way.

Also in the top 10 were Prince, Whitney Houston, The Police and Madonna.

The top 20 included Van Halen's Jump plus tracks by Pink Floyd, Def Leppard and Public Enemy.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/2980790.stm

Published: 2003/06/11 09:56:29 GMT

© BBC MMIII

2. these kind of polls are useless and stupid, I mean how do you class a greatest song?

3. nirvana rocks, yea i dont believe there is a greatest song but i love nirvana and that song is still awesome

4. yea, i dont believe there is such a thing as the greatest song but nirvana rocks and so does that song still

5. nirvana is a great band.......
    they caused a movement and influanced many types of people...... i can argue greatest song in the last 25 years but its still a classic....

i had it up on a np post a few days ago.....

6. i'm not even into n e of that Rock, Heavy Metal stuff but Nirvana did make some really kool music which i can appreciate and ecknowledge, They'll b rockin 4 eva ;)

7. i agree that smells like teen spirit doesnt seem top 25ish to me...... i'd say more like heart shaped box, come as you are, lithium, where did you sleep last night, or plateau (yeah, plateau) for top 25.

the beginings of heart shaped box and come as you are are just so mezmorizing (especially while stoned). i think nirvana should have done more instumental stuff. no lyrcs, just instruments. that would have been awesome.

8. That is such bullshit. The past 25 years?! I'd have to put a Cake song up there... That one Modern English song... Nirvana's song would be in the top five, they have a huge influence on people still... i'd have to put some stupid country song on there just because country is listened to a hell of a lot... Micheal Jackson would be there too, i'm not sure what song i would use of his though.

5 top songs... it's should be like the top 30 or so... 5 is too little.

... Once again i have bitched about something that is pretty obvious.

9. nirvana my ass. the only good thing about nirvana, is that it gave dave grohl the means to start up Foo-Fighters.

if you want to talk about "classic" rock tunes from the last 25 years, i have a few suggestions:

Pink Floyd: Brick in The Wall
    Faith No More: Epic
    Pearl Jam: Jeremy Spoken
    Clash: London Calling
    KLF: The Ironhorse Version

nirvana, pfft

edit: how could i forget, Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Under the Bridge

10. something i could listen to over and over and over again and never seem to quite get tired of.... really good expression in that song....

11. if your talkin bout great classic rock how the &%^# did u forget about led zep, hendrix and metallica?? lol

12. ..i just cant let this slide lol...cake?! lol...:rolleyes: WOW. never thought Id see that in a top ten pick...not knocking, just WOW lol ;)

13. Ok, Cake just hits me as cool.. everyone on the face of the earth knows "Short skirt long jacket". I do understand where you're coming from, i completely forgot a bunch...

14. . Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    3. Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
    4. Eminem - Lose Yourself
    5. U2 - One

LMao you can tell its vh1's poll
    If it were my list it'd be

1.What I got - sublime
    2. my way - usher
    3. hydro-twiztid and lazie bone
    4. cottoncandy- insane clown posse
    5. welcome to the jungle- guns n roses

15. vh1 is bullshit, they dont know nothing

I dont have a favourite song, but my top 5(in no particular order) would have to be:
    -Stormtroopers of Death-Shenanigans
    -Metallica-Disposable Heroes
    -Slayer-Chemical Warfare
    -ACDC-Back In Black
    -Pantera-Fuckin Hostile

And I fuckin hate micheal jackson and i hope he has another surgery, but something goes wrong and he dies.

16. ^^^lmao....... heal the world let me get a better face.......CROAK

17. I couldn't list 5 favorite songs or hell 5 favorite anything....besides being the undecisive bitch that i am, i just like to many songs to name 5.... everything depends on my current mood...:)

18. i really like the tori amos cover of it

sounds alott different

i like nirvana and all
    but their music is just sooo... sad, like i listen to it and i get all down

19. whoa man are you serious??

he maybe some weird alien type freak now.... but back when he was michael, his shit was hot....

Jackson 5 was sick.... the energy they could produce was astounding...... not to mention the panties they could get to drop :D

sooo your saying you've never tryed too moon walk?