News Flash

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Chris Colin hits the nail on the head when he states "its threat lies in its utter ungovernability." Imagine if pot were legal. The pharmaceutical companies (the richest companies in the nation, I believe) wouldn't be able to corner the market, and their bean counters would calculate all the money they were "losing" because people would be growing their own, instead of buying from them. The government wouldn't be able to tax it for the same reason.

I don't believe for a second that the government is concerned that it's a gateway drug, or that it's addicting. Even if it is addicting, what's the harm? If you need to smoke a joint each night to relax, how is that any different from drinking a glass of wine each night?
    Everyone who smokes needs to be open about it, whether for medical use or recreation. The taboo must be broken. When we are at a party, my boyfriend and I wish we could just announce, "Hey, we've got a joint -- who wants to smoke it?" without the fear of being ostracized.

Perhaps pot smokers should form a foundation. We all join and pay a reasonable annual fee. When one of us gets busted, everybody chips in a share based on the need divided by the membership. This way, we will all have the backing and support needed to clearly state, "I've got pot here -- who wants to smoke this fatty?"

-- Sheila J. Burnham

Two years ago, I was stricken with an extremely serious case of salmonella poisoning. For the first two weeks, I thought I had just a bad stomach flu. The high fever and constant diarrhea eventually led to severe dehydration and a trip to the emergency room.

After I was misdiagnosed at the emergency room and given incorrect medicine, the infection entered my bloodstream.

For almost two months, I had constant agonizing pain, vomiting and diarrhea. I was later correctly diagnosed by an internist. She put me on heavy-dosage antibiotics and gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea drug.

These medicines didn't seem to help; after another week of no improvement, I became so debilitated and exhausted that I felt that I wanted to die.

That day, a friend came over and convinced me to smoke a joint with him. If I could only convey how much better I felt after I smoked it! The pain retreated, the nausea disappeared and for the first time since the beginning of my ordeal, I was able to eat solid food.

Anyone who says that marijuana has no medicinal value is wrong, wrong, wrong. Nothing else I was prescribed during the nightmare I went through even came close to the relief that marijuana offered.

If the people who are saying that marijuana is evil could go through what I went through, they'd realize that marijuana is no more evil than any other plant or herb that grows out of the earth. If they had a family member who was suffering the pain of chemotherapy or a host of other debilitating afflictions, they would be singing a different tune about medical marijuana.

They'd realize that marijuana is a powerful and promising tool in the treatment of chronic pain. It's not evil. What's evil is following the irrational but politically safe path of demonizing a plant that offers so much relief to so many sick and suffering people.

-- Maria

Source: Salon.com (US Web)
    Published: February 2, 2001
    Copyright: 2001 Salon.com
    Address: 22 4th Street, 16th Floor San Francisco, CA 94103
    Fax: (415) 645-9204
    Forum: http://tabletalk.salon.com/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Very good article you've shared with us Superjoint. I strongly agree that medical marjuana needs to no, has to be legalized.

When I was going threw a heavy state of depression, couldn't sleep at night, was always miserable, just plain chaos.. I decided to start smoking a lot more cannabis and it helped in more ways then I can start to tell you.

It makes me a better person and a lot more happier, and I believe that that's what people want me to be? right.. well the government seems not to think so, but whatever.

3. Good for you man! It's always good to hear if someone is happier than he was before. Hope you gonna be happy forever, smoking rules!

SJ

4. after reading the article, i ended up thinking what i usually think after reading into the frustration in the voices of people who have a positive reaction to marijauna.

one thing to notice about illegality of anything, is what its legalness would mean from all angles. think of the benifits of crop growing, and also, who that might put out of business. it's amazing how intricate things can be.

[beth]