Newish to the site. How to remove hard water spots?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Me86Rob, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Whats up guys and gals? My name is Rob. I've got an 18" Medicali perc bong. I'm pretty anal about keeping it clean, and usually give it the salt/alcohol treatment 2+ times a week. But its got waterspots BAD. No matter how often I clean it, I can't get the spots off. Mostly up around top where the ice sits, but there is some in the middle chamber as well. I've searched and not really found too much info on cleaning the spots off. I even tried soaking it in CLR over night and it didn't even put a dent. Anybody got some suggestions? I have some friend's coming from out of town next week and its just down right embarassing.
    [​IMG]

2. Yeah use some Lime away on it. Just kidding! don't do that. It would probably work, but you aint gonna get past that first hit without your lungs bleeding out on you. There are some bong cleaning products on google or bing. Good luck!

3. scrub it with a soft sponge, it's reachable. Then rinse it of real well

4. I'd obviously clean it again with alcohol/salt before I used it after lime away or CLR. I'll see if I can find like, a sponge on a handle or something. 

5. If you smoke out of it every day you should clean it every day before you smoke out of it. Run HOT water through the top in the bath tub if it won't fit in your sink and clean with ISO. You can get a cork for the top so you can hold it upside down and let the ISO soak that shit. Also you can take a paper towel wet it with iso alcohol and twist it up to scrub inside the tube. Hope these tips help keep your bong clean and healthy for years to come.

6. Waterspotting on bongs or glassware in general is caused by hard water.  I have some water marks on a 10 year old roor.  If the staining is really old I don't know if anything gets rid of it completely.  Now I do a final rinse with Distilled water when I wash my glass.  When I move to my new house, I'm putting in a RO water system to avoid this.

Try these things:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Hard-Water-Stains-From-Glass

The newspaper thing sounds weird, but it does work on windows and glass tables, never scratches it and you don't get lint everywhere, hard to do with a bong though.

Try cleaners with acids, I don't know why they recommended baking soda and vinegar.  It's weird, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (base), vinegar is weak acetic acid so combining the 2 is a neutralizing reaction which will form water, carbon dioxide, acetate and sodium ions.  For water stains you want to use an acid based cleaner, it's better for inorganic resiude like salts.  Basic cleaners are better for grease, protein, organic residue.

Wash the piece well with either a basic cleaner, or grunge-off to get rid of the tar and get the piece clean.  Then use something like white distilled vinegar (you can add lemon juice to this), soak the piece in it for a few hours or overnight, then rinse it clean.  It'll probably take several cleaning sessions, and even then it might not all come off.

7. lol its simple.....vinegar will take it right off. How do all these replies on here not state this? :bongin:

8. #8 Rollie Fingers, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
    Thats calcium buildup from tap-water leaving your water stains, and im guessing those Ice-cubes werent purfied. Might halft to plug it up n turn upside down n soak if its real bad. I only put purified or bottled water in my glass

9. Steel wool and a magnet son fuck a sponge w a handle

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. who tf does that. i havent cleaned my bong in months i use it everyday. i dont have time to clean it. its a bong its gonna get dirty