Newbie's First Grow!! Ak-47!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by MrBioHazard, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Good morning all so Newbie's first grow, where to get started? At the moment I have three spare bedrooms that are not occupied. So in one of the rooms I've built a 4x4x12 grow area, I've lined the walls with aluminum mylar. I will be providing pictures of the area quite soon, after I complete the build. I will also be purchasing a carbon filter with an inline fan. The strain ive chosen to grow, will be AK 47. From what I've read aK-47 is difficult to grow, but I enjoy the challenge. I was concerned about the flybys that go over the house because the Airport being so close, but decided to put paranoia dillusions aside and begin a successful grow of aK-47. At the moment I'm using a soil called fox farm that I purchased from a hydroponic store. The fox form soil was recommended from the majority of people on this forum so I went ahead and purchased the soil. I also purchased a small amount of pure bland nutrients for the vegetative, flowering stage. I'll be using the inline fan to extract the hot air into the attic with the attached carbon filter to eliminate any odor. The biggest concern at the moment is how to control the humidity inside the grow area. What I've researched that to control the humidity, is to mist the area with a spray bottle. In this journal I will explain all the steps on how i grew my ak-47, with providing pictures and also in hopes of getting help. If anybody can recommend a cheaper way of installing a decent exhaust fan, please feel free to leave your comments. Here's a list of the products that i plan to purchase:
    1. http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929
    2. http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52531
    3. http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49411
    4. http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47812
    If anybody can recommend better or cheaper equipment feel free to post it. Thanks again and lets begin Newbie's first grow.

2. Buy a cool mist humidifier.....there are many different kinds but you will only need a basic one for a grow room that size and they run about $30 to $50....other than that looking pretty good......do you plan on purchsing another light for future? HPS is really only good for the flowring phase and MH is needed for the veg.....might want to consider buying the HPS/MH 400 combo.....good luck

3. #4 MrBioHazard, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
    Okay all this is my grow space, I think I did a pretty good job of building it! At the moment I'm currently applying the ventilation system. It's been kind of a hassle to build a ventilation, all I'm doing it is running a dryer vent into the attic and then ducking ventilation in the attic around the 4 inch ventilation and bringing it down into the room and into the growing area. I have not decided if im am going to use an exhaust do the fact that it is extremely expensive. I may just purchase some oscilating fans and add them into the grow room and vent into the room. I just got confirmation that my seeds are being shipped from HGS I've heard a lot of good comments about HGS, so my seeds should be here through priority mail, so I expect 2 to 3 day waiting period.
    So my initial plan to germinate the seeds is to drop them into a shot glass of water for about a day, then put them into a moist paper towel, until the seeds roots starts appearing. (if anybody knows a better method please let me know) after that I'm going to drop the seeds into peat moss, and put them into regular party cups full of fox farm soil, until they start sprouting and forming leaves. I'm not a 100 percent sure if I want to grow all 10 seeds for my first grow, what I would like to do is find a female within the 10 seeds and grow one at a time if possible. So I'm thinking, is growing three at time enough to get one female? Then cloning them, thus saving the rest of the seeds for emergency situations. (Example- Death of plant).
    I have about 10 1 gallon plastic grow containers, I hope these are large enough for the AK 47 root system. (if anybody would think for me to go larger please let me know)
    As for nutrients I have small bottles of pure bland for all stages of growth. I think this is gonna be enough for the first grow, do to the fact that the instructions say to only add about teaspoons worth of nutrients into water and mix. Recently I did use some of the fox farm soil to grow some bag seed plants but I had to get rid of them and they only grew to about an inch, I placed the fox form soil in a garbage bag and seal it. I'm guessing I can still use the same soil I do have some spare soil that Still in the orignal bag not used but since the plants were only about an inch tall it should be ok.
    Right now I'm just working for the money to purchase the HPs 400 watt light. So hopefully they'll be coming pretty soon. Once I get the ventilation system hooked up and the rest of the of electronic components, I will be posting pictures. The question about the PH System and the C02 system, is it worth it? Basically I'm on a budget, and all I think I need now is a hygrometer/thermometer. If anybody can recommend some cheap a little gadget for me to use please list. Till next time all.
    Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Looks good so far.....as for ventilation....you will need some kind of fan system to cool the 400 hps when it arrives.....as for the 1 gal pots ...they will not be big enough to grow out the AK-47 but will be a good first transplant from party cup pot....would recommend at least 3 gal pots for the flowering of the AKs.....good rule of thumb is to think 1 gal of pot size for each 12 to 15 inches of expected or desired growth....good luck

5. If you haven't bought a carbon filter, look around for DIY filters. Seen lots of people do it, some good tutorials around too, google it maybe. GL, looks like a good start!

6. I googled DIY Filters and nothing came up, heres the deal i live with my GF and the house is 4500SQFT so i dont think smell is that big of an issue. Unless the plants are capable of smelling up the entire house.. I will maybe just get an deodorizer of some sort. Pine Oil or something like that.

7. it will stink up the entire house if you dont have a carbon filter, id prolly start your plants in smaller pots then move up to one gal then move up[ from there if you so desire, also might be a good idea to have some kind of reflection from the top of your box while vegging

8. Well then it seems as though I will be saving for that as well. I can't wait for the seeds to arrive! So will anyone be watching this grow and helping out? If anyone has experience with this strain I would love to hear or read about it!

9. If you can seal the room from the rest of the house and exhaust the air outside you can reduce the smell a lot. The only other part of the house that would smell is the area outside the door when you open it to leave or enter. Don't do this if a neighbor nextdoor might smell it though.

10. #11 MrBioHazard, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
    From what ive researched, Venting outside is a really bad idea, but i guess thats really for people who live in close quarters with other people. I mean im on a 2.5 acre lot. So venting outside shouldnt be a problem with a carbon filter.

Updated Photos of the Venting, I used a shit ton of duck tape and made this1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ok guys i found this Fan from an old fridge, I want to rig it so that i can just plug it into a regular wall outlet, but i dont really understand the wires and stuff, anyone know how i can rig this badboy to a regular 2 prong outlet cord?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. #14 MrBioHazard, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
    Any Electricians out there??? This would really help. I cuy off the cord to a broken Surge Protector and basically, exposed all the wires and touched them all together but nothing yet :( really getting frustrated with the thing.

[​IMG]

13. Hey guys, so I put a hygrometer thermometer in the grow room, and sadly I'm at 70% humidity which from the research I've done is not good. So I need to purchase a cheap dehumidifier does anyone know of a good dehumidifier for a low budget price?

14. yea get it lower. thats way to high

15. #18 MrBioHazard, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    So anyone know of a cheap dehumidifier? Also how would i lower the humidity in the room without one these bad boys are expensive!! LoL, at 70% i wouldnt be able to grow anything... :(

16. Well, opening and getting some outside air in will def reduce humidity. What are your temps running at?

Calcium chloride is a natural dehumidifier. Just place some in a pan or a bowl, and it will be saturated with water over time. Other than that get a dehumidifier and make sure you've got good air circulation.