Newbie with Lot of questions ?? Thanks

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MountVernon1776, Mar 12, 2019.

1. hi my first post to the board . I am a total newbie when it comes to this but the eviroment I have to grow in is phenomenal indoor attic room that I built out of a construction project the only problem is I am having issues to produce results . My setup that I have is I guess you would call it a DWC seedling rock wool system with a general hydroponic air stone across the whole bottom of the tray under the cube holders with constant water supply of distilled water.....I am going to build all the totes to the stages of the plants so I can transport easy from my three different rooms . Room a ..room b.. room c.......... here is my problem When I go from seedling stage out of the towel to put them in there the roots go from a white to a reddish color .like I said I am so new but built a bad ass space to grow in with spray foam insulation and ac unit fans ... everything ....

2. #2 MountVernon1776, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    I forgot to add. I was running 24 hours of light but I read that it is 18/6?... to much water drowning out ? To much light ? I am going through seeds. I seen these black circle pieces that sit on top of the rock wool that have a slit cut out in a cross in the center of them so that she sprout can grow up to the light . Do I need to add those ?

3. #3 GoldGrower, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    I'm having trouble visualising your set up, can you take a photo?

The light being on for 24/0 is fine, it's unlikely to be too much light if your temperature is ok.
    Is there anything in the nutrient solution that will darken the roots?
    Is the foliage of the plants looking ok?
    Be careful with rockwool, it's not a good root medium for cannabis because it holds on to too much water

Come find me at my hangout
    GoldGrowers Gaff

Check out my newest light review
    Mars SP-250 LED Review

4. Sorry man I don’t want to post pics . Set up is a attic space tucked away . Has spray foam around the outside and inside with a ac unit in it . Has passive intake and fan exhaust. I have a mars hydro 1000 w led set to grow setting. Temp is about 72 in that location under the lights. But I other parts of the room are 68 bc I am sectioning off the room for the different stages . The seedling stage I have to learn is .. a tray with distilled water and four air stones underneath the but supplying the black plastic tray that holds the rock wool cubes in place . Last night I planted ten seeds 5 and 5 but in the same tray I have other girls 6 that are about 2 inches tall but those barely survived . So two hours ago I took them out of the water tray and put them in a dark room to try to let the water out , then to sleep ?? Put them back under light in about 6 more hours ?

5. Your description only covers what you're picking up on, show a seasoned grower a photo and they will pick up a lot more things that a beginner would fail to notice, so a description is often useless

However, are you saying that you have plants in rockwool that is sitting in water? If so that will definitely cause a problem

But without at least seeing the plants, I can't be sure what is causing the problem you are noticing. Reading your description only tells me what you already know

GoldGrowers Gaff

Mars SP-250 LED Review

6. I am going to make totes as I go along to build to the size of the rooms that I have right now like I said it is that 4 air stone with constantly supply of distilled water with rock wool cubes trying to get roots . The light being about 16 in was at 24 hours till today . Humidity about 50%. I am just freaking out I have put a lot of time and money into this grow build .now I am killing a plant which I thought that this part is easy . It’s the construction that people do not want to do that’s hard

7. Please read my previous reply again, it covers what you have just said

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. That is them out of the tray . The 6 ones are the ones that survived the ones that are not up yet are new spots that went into ground last night

Attached Files:

9. They're over watered

10. room setup plumbing ( not exact but the best way I can give you a example

First room

And second room is going to be a gravity feed tote return with a sump pump outlet system to buckets kinda like the video I posted below

Third room

That video is the setup of what my third room plumbing is going to be setup up as a closed loop pump system with a 44 gallon tote Reservoir . The whole system is going to have osmosis water trying go nutrients on all room but that is another learning curve . I am very familiar with plumbing , pumps , and construction builds . I can get the job done on that part but it is the planting .

11. So right now to save them what do I do . Keep them under the light and take them out of the tote to dry them out ? How many hours ? Or sign them a bed time story and let them get some rest until tonight then put them back in the light ?

12. Do some more research on growing cannabis before you try and grow cannabis.

Also, if you’re not willing to take pics in the future good luck finding people willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 2

13. What is the root medium they will be going in? I take it it will be clay pellets? If so, take the plants out of the rockwool and get them in it now. Rockwool just isn't suitable because it doesn't drain well enough. And that's when it's able to drain, if you keep it in water, it has no chance

GoldGrowers Gaff

Mars SP-250 LED Review

14. The old saying of "a picture says a thousand words" is very true. I'm not willing to ask you enough questions for you to answer with a thousand words because I just don't have that kind of time. If you show me your set up, I can tell you what needs changing. But if you just tell me about it, you are only going to tell me what you already know. You will likely not pick up on your own mistakes

GoldGrowers Gaff

Mars SP-250 LED Review

• Agree Agree x 1

15. I understand about taking pics of your girls .lol but you don’t want to put your girls out on a street corner . I appreciate the time of your effort to help me . I have done a lot of research to have built what I built for the first grow room . Just trying to put it into action and growing pains .

16. I have zero issues posting pictures of my plants so idk what you’re getting at.

You’re going to get the same answers from everyone that you’re getting now. Good luck.

Your seedlings are way overwatered whatever you’re doing isn’t working. Can’t give advice on how to fix it because we have NO CLUE what the rest of your “awesome” grow space looks like to tell you what it is you’re doing wrong.

Have a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. the pic with air stones is what the girls are currently sitting in . The other two pics is a title system that I built to put the seedlings in eventually

Attached Files:

18. I honestly don't know what your system is, it sounds like it's either a DWC or RTF (deep water culture /recirculating top feed). These are very different systems and require very different approaches.
    Rockwool sitting in water is your problem but we've already figured that out.

What is a title system? That looks like an aeroponic cloner, no good for seedlings, they need to be in the grow system from day one. You don't move plants around in hydro like you do with soil

19. When doing my homework I was under the impression that if you want to do a hydroponic system that it would have to have constant water spray to the roots and as much oxygen as possible . Then you take the strainer it’s in transplant to a different section of the room for the vegative stage then to flowering stage . Go easy I am learning

20. This sounds like an aeroponics system.

Hydro happens to be one of the harder ways to grow for newer growers. If you’re wanting to learn to grow with hydro I’d go with DWC or a passive hydro style like hempys or DTW coco.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum