newbie questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by buddaone, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Hey all,
    Just received my light, a 400w hps w/ mh conversion lamp.
    I have a 4'x4' space that will be enclosed by white poly from ceiling(7') to floor;I have an air filter will I need a exhaust fan, too?

I bought some of those jiffy pots 3" to germinate but I heard that the lateral roots may not be able to break through when I transplant. Is this true? If so what should I use?

I mixed my own soil from various recipes I've seen on the web I know I should test ph and nute content before I sow. How often should I check these after I sow? I have a ph/nute meter and I also have the capsules for testing which is better?

I also have some organic fert 20-20-20 will this be enough straight through or should I get the bloom fert I see advertised when it's time to flower?

I plan to start flowering when the plants are 12-18" how much will the plant yield after budding? Approx. how long will I have to wait to taste my sweet bbs?

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome..

2. Jiffy pots are fine to start in, just tear them off when repotting.

I would get some fert that had a high middle number for blooming

Soil pH testing is tricky, try both methods and see how the results compare. They should be within 10% of each other.

Yield, who knows? depends on the strain and how good your gardening teks are. Time wise I would say 3 months from blooming begins. But you can take a snip or two along the way to try them out.