Newbie Question- What Watts/temp should I vape my THC oil cartridges at- running ELeaf iStick TC40W

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by PhillyBodge, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Please help.

I’ve always been an old fashioned Dutch Master kinda guy but a buddy threw me 10 THC oil cartridges so i went out and got an ELeaf iStick TC40W.

Apparently there are all these adjustable settings (watts, Volts etc) and then I can press another button which appears to let me adjust temperature.. the mode seems to default back to Watts But when i change either the WATTS or the Temperature it doesn’t affect the other (If i raise Watts it doesn’t affect temp and vice verse)

I’m an idiot with this stuff and new to this site.. but wanted to see if i could get some help figuring out what settings (temp/Watts/volts etc) I should run to get a nice vaping experience.

I hope i provides enough information to get an answer.

Thanks!

2. @PhillyBodge
    Titanium, Ni200 (nickel) and Stainless Steel are the only wires that can be used (as of now) with Temperature Control

Kanthal, Stainless Steel and Nichrome are the only wires (as of now) that can be used in wattage/variable wattage mode.

Odds are your THC carts are Kanthal wire so use wattage to control the temp of the coil.
    Higher will give more vapor but with a hotter throat hit.
    Start low and see how it does for you. As a new vaper your likely to not feel-think your getting a hit. Or it'll trigger a coughing session as you become accustomed to the vape Juice. Usually a blend of PG-VG the same as the E juice-nicotine is.
    Be patient and wait a few minutes between tokes as it's slower to come on in my experience then smoking.
    Even when you don't actually see much vapor your getting a hit most times
    ==================================================
    From the net
    ==================================================
    If your box mod has variable voltage you can set it between 3.7 (Thinner hits, but safer on the cartridge) -4.2V (Slightly thicker vapor, more power to the coil, high end of whats generally safe) (Lithium ion batteries' maximum charge is 4.2V)

If your box mod doesn't do voltage, but has a "bypass" or "mech" function, use that. It will deliver unregulated battery power for the closest experience to a mech mod possible.

If your box mod doesn't do any of these things, then you will need to calculate the maximum safe wattage. Visit a Ohm's Law calculator such as Ohm's Law Calculator - A Free Vaping Calculator - Up Tech and enter 4.2V and then enter the resistance of your cartridge. (Nearly any box mod should be able to display resistance)

Most pre-fills are 1.6-2.2Ω. The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω), the calculator does this work for us.

Given 4.2V, maximum suggested power for a 2 ohm cartridge would be about 8 watts. A 1.6Ω cartridge would come out to about 11 watts.

If you apply too much power for too long, you can break the cartridge. Doing this should give you the numbers needed to prevent that as long as no accidents happen.

[–]ollent 1 point2 points3 points 1 year ago (1 child)

Yes, they'll work.

However, I'm seeing some of the stores up here refuse to honor a return if the user is using the cartridge with a box mod. I'm not surprised -- it's pretty easy to forget the setting at which you had your mod and accidentally burn it out by pushing the 11w you usually push to your Source Orb.

Anyhow, I've seen a shop go so far as to say the prefilled cartridges "don't work with box mods" which is poppycock. If you've got a 510 connection, you're golden.

load more comments (1 reply)

[–][deleted] 0 points1 point2 points 1 year ago (2 children)

Someone else can probably give you a more precise answer, but you can't go wrong by starting really low (3-4 watts maybe?) and slowly tweaking up your watts until you like the way your coil is lit up.
    ============================================================
    End
    ============================================================
    BNW

• Like Like x 1

3. -awesome reply and info man. Thanks! I started at 8 watts at about 400 degrees... I have been getting a decent vapor /feel from it... may try to turn it down a few notches since you recommended the lower wattage setting...

This is a whole new world to me.... never realized there was so much damn science to getting your mind right lol.

Still figuring this out but I just smoked my first fullncartirdge and looking forward to firing the next one up.

Thanks again for your response and detailed info!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]
    That’s what I use .. was like 12 bucks . Has 3 temp settings .. the highest it goes is like 5 volts I believe . First setting is like 3.2 next is like 4 ish then 5 ... I vape my thc cartridges on the middle setting and it’s fine . Box mod is an overkill imo when it comes to cartridges .

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I lied it’s not that one it’s this one .. can’t find the packaging [​IMG]

6. Just don’t tell the shop you were using the cart with a box mod. I’ve talked to many budtenders(who almost universally hate cartridges, aside from a few fans of the Pax Era. So basically they agree with me) and even with your highest end carts, we’re talking the guys trying to charge you $90 for .5 of live resin, the minimum percentage for returns they’ve seen from any company is 10%. That means they know that out of every box of 100 carts, no less than 10 will be duds. And the bros on the floor can’t tell the difference between a coil that burnt out because you were giving it too much power, vs one that just burnt out. Odds are under 50% that they’ll even try hooking it up to a battery and hitting it. Most don’t want to chance catching whatever mouth herpes people’s carts may have on them. If you return a cart, just say “it stopped producing vapor, I tried it with multiple batteries.” Unless it cracked or there’s some other obvious defect that caused the problem. If they don’t replace it, don’t shop there again. I’ve had exactly 1 store that wouldn’t replace a cartridge. And they’ve been around for long enough that I’ve dealt with at least 7-8 duds.

7. Science says that to get thc smoke with minimal carcinogens, you should keep temperature between 185 and 210 degrees celsius. It's different for nicotine liquids and most of those vary because thoae companies use different chemicals in their products. I used to always have to adjust my vape when I had it on volts instead of temperature. Hope you find what works best for you.

8. I went in one time and a tender told me there was no differences between an indica and sativa. THAT'S a problem. He was trying to sell me on some bullshit unlabeled THC liquid. That shit was crazy. Lookin me dead in the eye and sayin that. I thought I was on a hidden camera show (I was super high at the time....and now...... and pretty much all the time).