Newbie question/made a mistake

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WildCaught, Mar 23, 2013.

1. After mixing my soil mix with a base of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 EWC, then a nutrient mix with a small amount of alfalfa meal, kelp meal, bone meal, and small amount of espoma plant tomato tone, It has been sitting for about a month. I only used the base mix to germinate, and it is fine so far. About 3 weeks old.

My problem is, after doing some research, I realized the EWC I bought wasn't high quality at all. It wasn't even all earth worm castings(which I knew, but I thought it was normal). It was earth worm castings mixed in soil. I have recently found a place to get high quality earth worm castings (easy task in Portland -- but if you have suggestions, I wouldn't mind hearing some good reviews of places you've been to)

My question is, will my soil have "cooked" enough to not harm my plant, as I will soon need to transplant it out of the dixie cup sized container that it is currently in. If not, do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to create a healthy environment for my plant while I wait for new soil to cook?

2. Aha! I almost fell for the same thing about the EWC. People are basically selling dirt with worms in it, calling it castings on craigslist around where I live. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a proper vermicompost operation, there's little to no soil at all.

As long as the soil met all it's needs during the cycling process, it should be completed in a month. If you're worried about it being too hot, the blades in the organic section suggest transplanting a houseplant or some flowers from outside into the mix and watching it for a week. Albeit at that point, you might as well wait an extra month just to be sure it's done.

3. You won't know until you try but I'd have to highly suggest getting some good compost and/or vermicompost (castings) into your mix or your results may be less than what you're looking for.

I'd say mix it in as needed and plant. It's been sitting a month,

J

4. You could get a bag of organic soil. Make the bottom 25% of your container cooked soil concentrate. Put enough bagged soil to cover the concentrate by a couple of inches. Place your root ball on the bagged soil. Here is where you would want to add mycorrhizae if you have any. Which I hope you do. Put mycorrhizae in direct contact with the roots. By the time the roots reach the bottom of container your concentrate should be fully cycled. Cooked. Whatever you'd like to call it. Hope I could be some assistance. : )

5. I got some micorrhizae! I will follow your directions. Thanks to everyone for your help!