Newbie question about soil + lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stealthzzz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hello fellow Grasscitians,

So I have a couple questions here they are: When using promix, vermiculite and perlite as a soil, do you mix it all together, layer them out? I was planning on going 50% promix 30% vermiculite and 20% perlite does that sound like a reasonable soil mix to use? Is it advised that I add some dolomite lime to the mix too, ive read around that it helps regulate the ph. I wouldnt mind a little more information about this :)

Here is my question about lights: Is 260w of CFLs(4 x 23w and 4 x 42w) enough to veg 9 plants?

That is all for now but I plan on starting my first grow soon so ill be asking alot of questions :)

2. No love for me today.

3. Don't know about the soil one..I buy it premixed.

On the lights most likely no. You have to have your CFLs 2-4 inches away from your plant. After about 4 inches all grow spectrum drops to zero and all your plant will do is stretch for it. One of the downfalls of CFLs...as your plant grows you will have to continue to add more.

4. whats up man... mix all your soil ingredients together... and dont forget the mycorrhizae

5. the soil sounds good i'm doing it kinda like that except im using MG Sphagnum peat moss, perlite, vermiculite. I put alot of vermi makes it drain better and a lil pearlit to the mix. and i sprinkle a lil lime on there like a pinch spread across the top soil. and i put some in my water to to keep the ph right

6. #7 stealthzzz, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    So I should consider adding more cfls?

7. #8 stealthzzz, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Mycorrhizae? Not familiar with this.

8. what lights are you using

9. Benefits of Mycorrhiza:
    # Enhanced plant efficiency in absorbing water and nutrients from the soil.
    # Reducing fertility and irrigation requirements.
    # Increased drought resistance
    # Increased pathogen resistance/protection.
    # Enhancing plant health and vigor, and minimizing stress.
    # Enhanced seedling growth.
    # Enhanced rooting of cuttings.
    # Enhanced plant transplant establishment.

Dr. Davies Research Page

i used this before works nicely
    Earth Juice® Rooters Mycorrhizae

10. Im using 4 23W CFLs mixed with 4 42w CFLs. These are all daylight bulbs (6500k) as I will only veg with those lights, the total wattage is 260.

11. You can definitely start them under the cfls. Here's a pic of some I started under 3 cfls. Idk about the soil mix but dolomite lime is a natural way to adjust ph.

Attached Files:

12. #13 stealthzzz, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    Are the lights I mentioned sufficient to veg 9 plants? I eventually plan to upgrade those 23w to 42w giving me 336w of CFLs.

13. #14 BeZtoken, Aug 6, 2011
    Yeah bro you can veg them under those lights. As you can see I was doing 9 under 3 26w cfls until they were 3-4" The more lights, the bigger the better. What's the plan for flower lights. Hid hps?
    I moved mine under a MH 600w shortly after that pic and will flower under a 600hps.

Good luck bro....V

14. #15 stealthzzz, Aug 6, 2011
    I have a 5x5 tent with a 1000w hps for flowering :) I will be using LST n topping to keep my plants a little shorter and to increase the yield. I cant wait to start, ive been doing my homework, reading day in and out these forums.

15. Unless you have something different, Pro Mix is considered a "soil less" mix. Vermiculite and Perlite are for water retention, wicking, drainage,... and are not soil. I have been wrong before but I believe your "soil mix" is missing the soil part.

I'm not saying it is bad if that is what you want. If I am right you will want to treat this more like a hydro grow for nutes and ph. The Hempy Bucket is what I am thinking of, again ZERO experience. This is only from what I have read so feel free to correct me! With a Hempy or Coco you don't want what I use at all.

I buy cheap potting soil with perlite already mixed in and add fresh worm poop from my worm bin. That is what I think of as "soil". It has nutes and bacteria the plant can use.

16. [quote name='"stealthzzz"']
    I have a 5x5 tent with a 1000w hps for flowering :) I will be using LST n topping to keep my plants a little shorter and to increase the yield. I cant wait to start, ive been doing my homework, reading day in and out these forums.

Yeah I read a lot to. So you only have a hps. If your ballast can run MH its the way to go for veg. Either way that size hps in that space is optimal I think you will definitely have the lumens psf.

17. dude! 1000 watts for 5 feet, yeah.. expect results, one of my rooms is 5x5 and i use a 400 watt hps on light mover, and i do alright!!!

18. Yea im excited to start, im starting to germinate my seeds tomorrow.
    white rhino, master kush and chocolate chunk.