Newbie needs help-dark spots on leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ricoman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Hi. I'm a complete newbie on my first grow and I could use some advice. I have a 2 week old seedling that has developed a couple of dark spots on the first 2 main (fan?) leaves. Sorry, I don't have a camera right now so no pics. I've searched around the forums and troubleshooting threads and the closest thing I can find that looks like it is "Phosphorus deficiency". But I'm pretty sure that's not it. For one thing, the dark spot didn't start down the center of the leaf as described, but more toward the edge. Also, it's only 2 weeks old. It's in MG organic potting mix in a 12 oz paper cup. I haven't given it any ferts yet. I've been watering every other day (too much?) with distilled water. It's in a closet under a clamp light fixture with 2 26W 6500K CFLs, about 2 and 1/2 inches away. There's a small oscillating fan on it 24/7.

Under a magnifying glass these spots look black, with a little white fibrous material in the middle. They got bigger overnight, so today I cut away the affected parts on the leaves (hope this wasn't a mistake!) and misted it with a solution of tobacco juice and mild soap...in case it's some sort of bug infestation. I watered it with the same stuff.

Other than that it looks pretty good...maybe a little small for it's age. But it's already grown a second set of 2 leaves, and it has a small set of 4 growing. So far, these all look healthy.

I hope I haven't killed the poor thing. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!.

2. its going to be hard to help if you cant post any pics, it could be a number of things