Newbie needing some tips on first grow!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Justindee88, Apr 13, 2013.

1. What's up GC?!?! This is my first grow so I'm needing all the help I can get. I'm doing a semi-indoor grow inside a 4x2 grow tent. 600w MH for veg and a 600w HPS for my flowering. Also supplementing different cfl spectrums throughout grow. I have a cool tube, booster fan and a carbon filter. My grow medium is Coco and my nutrients I'm using is fox farms trio. The PH of my run off water is steady at 5.8 although I'm afraid I overwatered a bit. Their around 1.5wks old and in 2 gallon pots. My main concerns I have is how much, often and which nutes should I use and how should my ventilation, intake, exhaust and carbon filter be set up. By the way just ordered two inline fans. The booster fan is horrible. Thanks for the help guys!
    [​IMG]
    Before transplant
    [​IMG]

2. Nice setup. Good thing you ordered 2 6" fans.

I use one fan to cool my lights and another to exchange air in the grow space. The fan cooling the lights just pulls air from one side of the tent, through the hood, and out the other side. It doesn't mix with growroom air so it doesn't need to be filtered.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using GC Forum

3. Thanks for the reply NS. Do you think the booster fan will suffice to keep the cool tube cool or should I hook one of my online fans I ordered up to it? Planned on using one fan to exhaust air with the carbon filter, one for intake then the booster for the light.

4. Btw just checked out your grow and it looks awesome! What methods are you using to keep the short and bushy or is that the strain? Thanks!

5. You don't need an intake fan unless you're piping in cool air from somewhere. Negative pressure keeps odor from leaking out, better off with passive intakes. My temps were actually a few degrees higher with an active intake because of the heat from the fan motor. I would chuck the booster and go with my configuration, no intake (unless you need cool air from a crawlspace or a/c)

Also, the most heat comes out of the fan cooling the light, if you can direct that out of the room where your grow is it will help keep temps lower. That's why you need a strong fan cooling your light, it's where all of your heat comes from.

Thanks for checking out my journal!! :)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using GC Forum

6. Thanks for the advice. Well checked them this morning and I messed up big time. Tips of leaves are yellow and dry. After everything I read I'm pretty sure it's mute burn so I flushed all of them with plain water. Should the yellow clear up?

7. No, they'll die but new growth will replace them. By the time your plants get big you won't even notice that they're gone. Some people remove lower growth so they can get to the soil more easily for top-dressing, watering and such.

8. LOL, didn't realize that I never answered... I use the scrog method when I need to keep them really short and I top them when I want larger bushes. Strain choice plays a role too.

9. Ah yet another problem. Checked them after the flush and it appears worse. Starting to see some black spots. Any suggestions?