Newbie Looking To Increase Yeild

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jmc15, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Hey,

I have been growing for just over a year and im loving it, I have had some great results with taste and flavour however my yields are weak. I have been told I should get 3 per plant no problem in soil but my best is 3/4!! What am I doing wrong or is it the strain?

I clone once its rooted I then veg for a month then flower for 8 weeks.

I water every other day with ionic veg/flower

I keep temp about 70 in veg and 50 in flower with higher humidity in veg around 70% and lower to about 45-50% in flower

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks J

2. what is your light source?

3. Yeah the light source is what dictates how much product you should be getting. If you're using 150w CFLs then you're obviously not going to get 3 ounces :p

4. 50f in bloom?

5. Are you serious 50 degrees f ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Yeah if that's correct mate, your temps are way too low in flower. And like peeps are saying, your lights will directly affect your yield....low lumens = low bud production.

Off topic, but is that your dog in the pic?, used to have a Rottie myself, beautiful dogs. :)

7. Thanks for the replies,

I got my temps mixed up with my humidity I keep the temperature at around 26 C and alter the humidity between stages.

I was using a 600 hps however my pots were only 6.5 litres. I have now downscaled to a 250w in 90x90 tent and im going to grow the next batch in 11 litre pots.

Hopefully this will help but I just cant see it producing much more.

BTW the strain is mazar from dutch passion :)

8. #8 Thicken Dense, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014

Yea, I think that upping your pot size will help a lot, fabric pots are the best IMO. Add perlite to your soil if you don't already, the extra drainage and aeration makes a huge difference.

Consider adding a silica product to your lineup, half a teaspoon per gal per week made a big difference for me as well.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but they were major leaps forward for me in keeping my plants healthy and increasing yield. There's more but organics doesn't work so well after you start using the bottled nutes.

9. Easy answer mate....size of your pots has determined the size of your plant. I have mine in 5 litre pots now, but will be transferring to 15 litres to finish. 6.5 pots will stunt root growth and therefore affect yield....bigger pots, bigger yields.

10. thanks guys :)

Why downscale your light?? You've corrected your pot size, so dropping your light from 600w to 250w is puzzling. Stick with the 600w & the larger pots and your yield will improve dramatically. Plants love light, give them as much as you can.

12. #12 GoldGrower, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    It's already been covered but yeah your problem was the pot size for sure. 4 plants under a 600w HPS I would have at the very least 15 litre pots. 25 litres each would be preferable.

Why have you dropped down to a 250w while wanting to increase yield? 

Light being even, hydro will boost your yield from soil. The extra oxygen the roots receive, and the exact concentration of nutes that the plants prefer allows them to grow at amazing speed

13. Thanks guys, I changed down as I had the 600w for flower and the 250 for veg but got so disheartened from my results that the 600w just wasn't paying for its self plus it was huge! so I decided to start again from scratch and thought if I could make it work in the 250 then I would go back to the 600w. I have seen growers on youtube with better yields from cfl than I was getting so didn't think dropping to 250 would make a huge difference if everything else was correct. Its good to see you all giving similar advice cos I have been told so much stuff from so many different people and they all seem to disagree with each other ie I was told I should be able to get 3 from a 3.5litre pot!!!!

Thanks again wish I had have joined here a year ago!

14. Oh jebus, 3.5 litre pots? That's not even quite a gallon. I feel bad for the people giving you that advice

15. If you have the space mate, I would keep the 600w light going and get some 15 litre pots minimum...with enough space for the roots to thrive and plenty of light available for them to soak up, you will at least treble your previous harvests, if not more. :)

16. lol Breezy you got me looking for spaces now!

17. Haha, I'm glad bro, hope you find it! I intended to start with a 1.2m tent and a 600w light, ended up with a 2.4m tent and 2 600w lights, and now I'm looking at using that as a veg area and turning the rest of the room into my flowering space lol. Also decided to go for 30 litre pots as opposed to 15.

Bigger space, bigger pots, bigger lights = bigger plants :)