newbie in need of guidance

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by buddhabro3, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ok, so last year was my first grow. I came out of it with about 11 grams and I didn't do much research so this grow i will be planning on having more plants, more buds, and more success.
    Just as backround info, i have a very little budget and will be growing outside on my neighbors property behind thick blackberry/pricker patches. I have another spot which is less likely to be spotted by people on foot, but more vulnerable to be seen from the air, and with helicopters constantly flying over, I am going to try to keep that spot less inhabited.

I am planning on germinating today, using the paper towel method. After that they will be put in party cups with regular potting soil which i will also buy today. I will probably just find a cheap soil with maybe perlite mixed in or something, but with no nutes. Is that okay?
    This is where an issue arises tho, I was originally planning on throwing the party cups outside for the seedlings, and than transplanting them into there homes (bags buried underground filled with about 5 gallons of potting soil in the most prime locations which i can find) But there is going to be thunderstorms, and showers all week.
    It would be possible for me to start them off in my closet with flouros, but since I havnt really been planning it i don't really have the supplies. I have a reading lamp, a box to grow them in, and a small fan. After getting a flourescent bulb will I have enouph supplies just to start them? How much wattage would u say I need for about 10-15 sprouts?
    The cheapest way possible how do u recommend me to line the box. I was just thinking plain white paper or something.
    Do you think i need holes for ventilation in the box, or will it be good enouph for me to be opening it every once in a while?
    I will also be planning on getting nutes for later in the grow.

does everything sounds good, am i being a complete dumbass?
    sorry if this post was difficult to read, I'm a bad writer, especially wen :smoking:

and any help is muchhh apreciated:)

2. Check out the tutorial on CFL Lighting in the General Growing Section.

To start my indoor grow I sprouted about 20 seeds under a simple grow lamp, im sure a reading lamp will suffice though.

For the veg stage use Daylight CFL's, for flowering use Soft/Cool White.

I currently have 3 plants that are about 10 days old, they are under 3 26 watt Daylight cfls, in Miracle grow potting soil. A fan for circulation, and they get plenty of ventilation just from me opening the closet door to check on them.

Hope that helps.

-C

3. yeah ik about which flouros to use, and that each plant should have about 100w. But idk if im only keeping them for about a week or 2. Do you think 1 daylight bulb will sufice?
    can anyone help me with my other questions?
    thanks alot GC

4. CFL's penetration length is only a few inches, so you will need at the very least, 1 CFL per two sprouts in party cups just to get you started. If you decided to keep them indoors, you would need at least 1 per P.
    6000-6500K temperature CFL bulbs for veg.

You can line the box with emergency blankets found at any hardware store, they are less than 1 dollar. Hold onto your receipt if you buy more than 1, as 1 goes a long way. I dont like to use white paper, but if youve got some laying around, and itl help you save a buck, you can try it, its better than cardboard/wood.

You will need ventilation if you plan to keep the box closed. How big of a box are you talkin?

I wouldnt recommend going cheap on soil, I have learned to stay away from soils purchased at conglomorate stores like walmart, Kmart, ect. Dont get me wrong, they can work, but its usually a learning process. As you said, just make sure you dont get soil that contains nutes. And perlite is a must.

5. Thanks alot for the reply it was very informative.
    I was planning on just using a rubbermaid that i have laying around but
    I think that i will not be able start them inside because i cant be throwing mad bills on lights/electricity + i cant be having like 7 CFLs in my closet. lol
    Im probably just gunna start my little guys outside and probably put something over them to protect them from serious rain.
    If i plant the seeds and keep them in the dark for about a day or 2 and than put them in the light for when the weather gets better would that be ok?
    Or do you recomend just throwing them out in the bad weather?

The seeds are germinating as we speak. Is there any way to delay there germination?
    what do you recomend i doo!?!?!?!
    also
    What do you think i should look for in finding the soil if you dont think i should be going cheap?

ahhhh sorry for being sucha pest, I probably should have thought ahead be4 rushing to germinate.
    any advice will make me very happy.
    Thanks GC

6. Yea, doing your research first will make sure you stay ahead of the growth in knowledge. Just keep reading as much as you can.
    To answer your questions;
    Depending on where you live, I would say you could germinate, and let them sprout a day or two under CFL's before moving them outside. No way to delay germination without destroying the integrity of the growth. Keep in mind they can grow outdoors, and have grown wild for many years, so I think youd be ok, as you said, just try to keep an eye on them and protect them when you can.
    I am die hard FFOF (fox farm ocean forest) soil, but as long as you get organic potting soil with no nutes, you should be ok. You can always go to your store, take down what they have, and then post here for recommendations if you feel uncomfortable purchasing something.
    If not, you can try stores like worms way, or northern lights and garden for the best soil's IMO. (Grow shops, very knowledgeable employees)

7. word, yeah i think im just going to throw them out there in party cups and protect them with 2 liter bottles or something. For now im going to just get regular potting soil just to fill the party cups and than decide on whether I wanna switch to fox farms for the transplant. Ill probably just end up using potting soil with fox farms liquid ferts, or miracle gro
    Thanks for all your help man u rock:metal:

8. np mang. Sounds good, good luck.

9. ok so i just bought my potting soil, just want to make sure its straight be4 breaking into it and not being able to return it.
    Its called valfei potting soil.
    And on the back it reads: soil is a rich and light soil mix. With fine grained texture and balanced Ph. This product is excellent for hanging baskets and flower pot. Valfei potting soil is made of peat moss, light soil, perlite, and aged compost.
    Idk sounds like exactly what i need to me
    but what do u guys think?

10. Never heard of it, but sounds alright.
    Does it have N-P-K numbers on it?

11. nope...
    yeah like 2 seeds already germinated so i think im just keep them in the windowsill for this upcoming thunderstorm.. i could set them under an old aquarium light, and I have sprouted plants with it be4...but idk?

12. Ok good, might as well give the soil a try. If you wanted to know more, you can take a photo of the soil itself and post it on here, we can tell a lot by that.

Itl sprout without any light at all.
    Aquarium lights arent sufficient and will cause stretching or worse if left under too long.
    Why not go pick up a 6000CFL?

13. I think i will just do the windowsill right now It will only be thunderstorms for a day or 2 so im sure the little guys will be fine.
    The soil is dark brown and looks rich, I can see the perlite and peat moss mixed in. With pressure the soil will stick together but will also crumble apart easily (I read that this was good in a grow guide). It feels really loose, and is in really small grains. I can probably get a picture if need be.
    thanks alot anony.