Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Newbie here... lots of questions

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Eggie, Jul 1, 2010.

1. My dad will be getting his medical marijuana card soon to help him manage pain and loss of appetite associated with esophageal cancer. I don't think he's ever smoked pot before, with the exception of maybe taking a few random hits from a joint when he was a teenager, so I'm not sure what the best method(s) would be for him. Would you guys suggest he use a bong/waterpipe or smoke joints? The cancer has spread a little bit to his lungs so I'm not sure if that would make it more difficult for him to smoke the usual way. He doesn't have any breathing problems though.

What strains are best for stimulating appetite and giving decent pain relief without completely knocking him out?

I've found a number of decent dispensaries in this area (Riverside County, southern california) but I'm curious... do they only sell weed or do they sell paraphernalia as well? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff... (apart from a very nice pot brownie I had in Amsterdam a couple of months ago :D ) so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible so I can help my dad out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Vaporizer, hands down.

3. I would say to use a vaporizer at most. Using a waterpipe/bong is still pretty harmful for someone who has cancer in their lungs. My best bet is to just make edibles although they take longer for the effect to happen. Just make large batch of cannabutter and slap that shit onto everything you eat, hah.
    Those are the only methods I know of so far, I too am still pretty new. As for strains, Indica dominant strains will knock you out, it may be different for each person.

Dispensaries don't often carry paraphernalia. Usually, only well established dispensaries have them. Just go to a head shop for those.

4. Poster above me is right, I was so baked I forgot to suggest edibles, good call man! I also thought to mention that if you got a good vaporizer you could also invest in a water pipe/bong/bubbler attachment that would cool the vapor further.

5. yes... they covered the smoking utencils, now for the strains.... if you want a nice pain relieving, munchie inducing, but not couchlocking and sleep inducing high...you need pretty much just a decent breed thats almost 50/50 or an indica dom but still more towards the middle....too far and its right to sleep for someone who isnt acclimated to the effect...too much sativa...and... he will be in outer god damn space not a bad thing, but, can be too much lol..... In my opinion atleast, every person has a different reaction

6. For the fastest relief, vaporizers! A little Vapor Brothers will run you under $150 including shipping. I bought one several years ago and it still works just fine! (FYI- The cheap look-alikes often REEK of plastic fumes) Vaporizing uses less cannabis and is much easier on the lungs. The "left-overs" make "passable" brownies (yes, you can get high twice on the same cannabis. :eek: )

Edibles give the longest relief. You can make butter (just run a search- 100s of posts) or oil to use in foods. Or there's always the hippie "recipe"- blenderize the pot and dump it in some "Betty Crocker Brownie mix". Always eat before using edibles- here's why-

Science: Oral intake of a cannabinoid together with a meal improved bioavailability by avoiding first-pass metabolism (abst. - 2009)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

And here's a mess of recipes to get you started- :)
    Cannabis Recipes - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Tinctures are inbetween on speed of relief. Easiest way to make a tincture. Get one of those brown glass eye-dropper bottles (try the local health food store), loosely fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 with bud, fill with the highest proof vodka you can find. Let it sit in a dark place for a couple of weeks. Strain into a 2nd container, removing the bud, pour back into the brown bottle. One or two eye-droppers full swirled around in the mouth, will do the job only a little bit slower than vaping. Run a search for "Green Dragon" for good tincture recipes.

And may I help you and your father to further your education about cannabis as a medicine? Please click the "MMJ Studies" in my sig, and just read for a while.

Hope that helps,

Granny :wave: