newbie here.. fluorescent light help???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by just4researchHA, Oct 28, 2009.

1. i know and believe that HPS/M.H. or some other type of HID lighting is better and will yield bigger... BUT

i currently have (two) 4-foot 4-bulb t-8 32w fixtures.. (256w total)
    (8) - 32w 2700K bulbs for flowering..
    (8) - 32w 6000K bulbs for veg..
    4'long x 2'wide grow space..

assuming ive done my howework correctly i can use these lights all the way through my flowering stage.. and get decent bud..??

anybody got any reason think these lights wont work??

any help (any at all) would be great,.... thanks

2. you just posted this twice, I'd go delete the other one before getting yelled at. But it looks like those lights would be perfect. How many plants do you plan on growing with those lights?

3. mix up your lamps. the plant uses more of the blue spectrum during vegging, but they do need some of the red spectrum during veg... during flowering you want all 2700k's. you have a safe zone w/ fluro tubes compared to hid and cfl's, because you can actually let the plants touch the lamps w/o burning them. you're going to need the lights very close during the entire grow because t-5s light penetration is relately low (18" max penetration) so keep em low, in your grow space you may want to grow SOG, i dont know how many plants you either have going, or plan on growing, but w/ that setup you'll get better results out of SOG... if you can start w/ clones..

4. #4 just4researchHA, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
    i was planning maybe 3-4.. and i dont have t-5 lights i have t-8... and how many reds to blues should i use for veg 4/4/ or 2/6

5. Don't let them touch the plants......but get close, an inch or so........I've had them burn. Be diligent about moving the lights up as they grow.

I've vegged and flowered with T-5's and been quite successful. Like above said, Put a couple of the 2700's in while vegging........they like some of the red spectrum.

6. Nother newb here, what is SOG? and if I start with clones, all 2700's?

7. Don't wanna "Jack" the thread, but to answer your question Vapordude, SoG is short for "Sea of Green" which means growing in a way that allows for a perpetual harvest. Use the search button and you'll find PLENTY of info! As far as the lights go, it's ALREADY been stated earlier in this thread that vegging plants need 6500K while flowering plants want 2700K. Therefor, your clones NEED 6500K AT LEAST until they root.
    Good Luck! :smoking: