Newbie here, concerned about one of my plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dc2bar, May 2, 2009.

1. What type of medium;
    -HYDRO
    Indoors or outdoors?
    -INDOORS
    What strain?
    -UNKNOWN/FREEBIE FROM DEALER; SUPPOSEDLY SUPER LEMON HAZE
    How old are the plants?
    -DAY 18
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    -AEROGARDEN CLASSIC HOOD (2X26W CFL) AND 4 26W CFL COOL WHITE
    How far from the lights?
    -5"
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    -HALF STRENGTH LUCAS METHOD, GMB-0/2/4 PER GALLON
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    -PPM UNKNOWN, RUNOFF PH ~5.9-6.0
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    -TEMS 70*F, HUMIDITY UNKOWN THOUGH DRY DUE TO HIGH ELEVATION
    What size pots?
    -4" NETPOTS
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    -NO
    Any other pertinent info?
    -JUST TRANSPLANTED YESTERDAY

Hi all! i'm starting a bagseed grow in rockwool cubes transplanted to hydroton bubble buckets. I moved them to the bubblers yesterday, and am noticing some drooping in one of my plants, which happens to be the largest one? The other girls are in a nice "v" shape, whereas the one large one is drooping. I am pretty sure the twisting you see is due to the positioning under the new lights, the cube was rotated 90* on accident when transplanted so they're turning to the light. What i'm also worried about is this dark discoloration, it's a blackish discoloration; almost like ash was rubbed on it. The lighting system is going to be replaced with a 400w MH when the roots pop out of the bottom of the netpots.

Pics 1-3 are the healthy girls, pic 4 is the drooping, and pic 5 is the discoloration.

Any suggestions? The only reason I started nutes is that the largest one shown in pic 4's cotyledons are pretty much completely brown and dead, and from what i've read that means they're ready for food. Since i've added the nutes the leaves turned a darker green and they seem like they're growing a bit faster.

To the pros, how's my progress look for 2 weeks?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4top.jpg
      4top.jpg
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Ok, after re PHing and raising the water level in my buckets, the drooper shot back up to it's perky position.

The brown spot is getting Worse and has spread to the other 2 little new leaves though! Can anyone help me with that?

3. here's pics of the dirty spot spreading. Possible deficiency or nute burn?

Attached Files:

4. you burned it. just water it with plaint water for a week and then continue with your normal nutrient regimen. It's not going to clear up overnight and possibly not even by the week's end, but it will clear up. Just be patient.

5. High bar! So its in aero? Not sure what "aero-garden" is(that lil counter top thing?). How big is your rez? Looks like over watering/calmag def caused by a ph lock. My guess is your ph is not staying at what you say. Could be if you have a small rez, or somrthing going on with your water or nute buffers.
    All other parameters seem to be in check. If this is bagseed, you can get some real finiky phenos from them. Haze/ whatever is not an easy strain and can be rather daunting at times.
    Thaose are my initial thoughts anyway, hope it helps.
    peace, bugout

6. #6 dc2bar, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
    Chronitron,
    Thanks! I assumed as much, but hearing it from an experienced grower makes me feel better. Last thing I wanted to do was the wrong thing and exasperate the situation! I just picked up a few gallons of distilled water (still waiting for my RO system to get here) that i'm PHing as we speak and was planning on a water-only hand feed for a week. The others ones that are doing fine with the current nute level with no burn can stay on the feed schedule? or should i give them a flush as well to make sure they're all on the same page?

T.Bug,
    it's in mini DWC bubblers right now, under a light that i stole from my aero garden (see attached pics). I got the aero garden as a gift, and since the lights are supposedly optimized for plant growth and adjustable, i am using it for now as a "rooting" chamber i suppose, since i'm starting from seed. Next time these will be my cloning chambers, hydroton replaced with foam of course =) The reservoirs are about 3/4 gallon each.

PH did swing up pretty high, i made the hasty mistake of not letting my tap water sit out long enough, so when i did PH it the next day it went up to the 7 range. No idea why it did that, i'm assuming the evap of chlorine brought it up? Oh well, using only distilled from here on out, and RO when my system gets here after that.

Once the roots pop out of the netpot, they'll go into 5 gal buckets under a 400w MH is the plan!

Haha, and yes, you'll notice the wife insisted on naming them all. She's a licenced MMJ user, and since our current caretaker is abysmal, we've decided to take matters into our own hands and make me her registered caretaker, hence my desire to make sure this grow goes absolutely right! We definitely appreciate all your guy's help =)

Attached Files:

7. High bar! it shot up prolly cause they used up the nutes. They certainly at the half streanght phase or better. Chlorine has little to do with it(other than killing benificial bateria that will naturally lower ph. What are your nutes?
    Peace, bugout

8. i'm using a 1/2 strength lucas method, GH Nutes G/M/B in 0/2/4. PH'd the water again, seems a bit on the alkaline side. Damn this POS ph drop test system! My hanna meter was defective and i'm still waiting for my replacement, bummer.